Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueR1
nice guys always finish last.
Yeah i hate that

What i also hate is when racing for position against a clearly slower car, they jag back across the line as hard as possible to cut you off, when they make a mistake. I guess its legal but really if you make a mistake id like to think you at least give the other guy a fair go.
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
99% of the time at a big race such as the "nats" the announcer (if doing their job ) will let everyone on the track know whos the fast car and 99% of the guys will move. There are a few that still dont like to in Qualifiers though. Some guys also have certain corners they like to let guys pass in so it cost them the least amount of time. If you give the guy 2 corners and he doesnt move after being told then its bump and run time Although Ive seen guys that dont even give 2 corners...they get there, peel em and pass em all in the same corner

EA

I KNOW that guy too!! A few of them
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Old 11-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #19
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Very frusterating issue!!!

It kind of amazes me how some people can't swallow their pride enough to let someone who's faster go by in qualifying or when being lapped in a main event...

Usually not being let by causes harm to both parties ...but I guess it usually just takes time and "proper encouragement" to englighten the offending racer...

If that doesn't do it... there's probably no helpin' them
Old 11-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evicerator

It kind of amazes me how some people can't swallow their pride enough to let someone who's faster go by in qualifying or when being lapped in a main event...

Usually not being let by causes harm to both parties ...but I guess it usually just takes time and "proper encouragement" to englighten the offending racer...

The absolute best is the guy who WAS fast, but crashes and throws away his run, but is too stupid to realize the reality of the situation and peels guys trying to make a comeback instead of letting the rest of the guys in the qualifier get there clean runs in. Again-I could mention names, but I wont!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilerian
So if I can't get by a guy without him putting me into the wall, is it wrong of me to give him a nudge to get by? Now I don't expect everyone to move over just so I can get by, but what I do expect is that if I have the line you should yeild. Maybe I am wrong, let me know what you guys do.
If you give a nudge in a real close, but fair battle to make the pass and you both come out of the corner-Fine!! But, if you put him in the wall, turn him around or tuck his body-you should stop, let him back by and then try for a clean pass. That is true RC etiquette and you will see it at the big races!!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:46 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tfrahm

In some ways, you just have to realize this is a hobby - there's no Winston Million, no huge prize... So -- Just how MAD do you want people to be with you... "Punting" will always cost you in the long run -- people have LONG memories, and some day you WILL be running for a trophy or be on your best pace of your life, and PAYBACK will end that instantly...

Consider the simplest tactic of all, but the most overlooked -- TALK... If it's a local group you're racing with, you all know each other, so talk on the driver's stand. If a faster car comes up on you and you KNOW they will pass you eventually, TALK -- say "wait for the back straight -- I'll go wide and let you through" or "take the line in the next turn -- I'll give you room"... I won't draw pictures, but you get the idea.

This works both ways. If you are the faster car, "how about going wide on the back straight?", etc...

When this is done, no one loses a thing...

On the other hand, if it's an even fight, they it's up to the overtaking car to make the pass clean (again -- we're NOT talking about "lap cars")...

As for tricks, if the other racer is "blocking" use that against them -- fake wide on corner entry, then when they move to block, dive inside through that nice hole they just left...
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:06 PM   #23
Tech Regular

a guy that i race with said it best, "if he puts his fender into your door, its a hack, if he puts his door into your door, then its a pass"
STR_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:13 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I feel the real problem is some racers not knowing the difference between "holding someone off", and "holding someone up".

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:35 PM   #25
Tech Master

When I'm up to a back marker that I'm about to lap...I will usually try to give him some chance of opening up for me. Usually thats a 3-4 corner chance. If he still don't get the idea, sorry mate...I'll bulldoze my way through...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I race to win. I didn't buy my car to run up and down the street, chasing the neighbors dog. If you are the slower driver, I expect you to let me pass (in qualifying) not for race position. I also realized a long time ago that I spend 8 hours AT the track and 30 minutes ON the track. If I lose the race and leave with all my friendships still in tact, I've done pretty good. I'm not punting anyone, but that doesn't mean that I won't give you a little love tap every now and then.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:13 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goop

qualifying and main racing is a totally different style of driving etiquette.

qualifying- if you come up on slower traffic be patient, the slower driver must give way to the faster guy. as EA says use the 2 turn rule but try not to take him out just give him the door. or say your holding me up and see if he moves if he doesnt then game on.

mains- if you are fighting for position you must pass cleanly he is not forced to give up the line. if you so happen to take him out when passing (you dont have to, but should)stop and wait for him to get back in front of you.

TOP Racing - Gravity Rc - Contact tires - KO Propo - Competition Electronics
goop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:50 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Alright, some good responses. But this is the reason I ask: Friday night racing at the club I qualified 3rd in the a-main. The first corner the 4th qualifier hit me so hard I went over a barrier, I landed on my wheels and waited for 1 and 2 to go before I took off, the 4th guy got by as well. So for the next 2 minutes or so I was on his rear, getting beside him then back behind him etcetera. I see the leader closing in un us and start trying a little more to get by. No avail, I couldn't get by him cleanly. A couple of laps later the leader is on my rear, I went wide in a turn so he could go by, I figure I will catch the 3 guy again anyways. Then 2 corners later the leader and the 3 guy got into it and I got by without any problems. So now I am good, speed up to catch number 2. Well here comes the leader again, so I let him by. Letting him by cost me enough time for the 4 guy who was the 3 to catch up to me. Next corner wham, he puts me into the wall hard. He over drove and t-boned me. He even laped me cause the turn marshalls took forever to get to my car, I ended up 5th. The point is; I followed him for 2 minutes without touching him, get around him and he puts me into the wall.

So why should I race clean?
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:58 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evicerator

In club racing where you are mostly racing the same people, try to be the good example. Say thank you out loud when people move over for you and move over for others when they are faster. That will go a long way to encouraging clean driving in others.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilerian
...........So why should I race clean?
Because you just should, people will notice very quickly if you are a clean racer and will give you the respect that that entails, sure you will always get the 1 or 2 guys like that guy who race dirty, but everybody knows it, and you can be fairly sure he gets his fair share of taps because of it.

As has been said before, talking on the stand always helps when coming to passing or being passed, I almost always will say thankyou when someone I lap pulls out of the way for me and people appreciate that.