R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default PC power supply for Pit power

has anyone used a PC power suppy for thier pit space? If so how did you like it?
how does it compare to a regular PS?

thanks
Stevem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I thought about this once before but then went and picked up a bulldog 30 power supply. Before that I was using the novak power supply I am really not sure if it can be used. If anyone has no one has posted it. I made a similar post sometime ago and never had a result or a pic...

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Don't. Ever since I saw one short out at the track and almost catch on fire I would not even consider it if I was you. Think about it, the pc power supply is designed to be installed inside a case not portable on it's own.

If you are a budget then go to Radio Shack and get their 20amp power supply for $100.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
Tech Adept

I have been using a PC powersupply for over a year now and never had a problem. If you know how to solder and take a bit of time to make it right it will work just fine.
Johnny9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem9
has anyone used a PC power suppy for thier pit space? If so how did you like it?
how does it compare to a regular PS?

thanks

here you go $79.99 its a bargain
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i think i will just go with the radio shack one or maybe get a used rivergate or some thing..

any more suggestions?
something $100 or less
Stevem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:39 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

It is entirely possible to convert a PC power supply. I used one for about 6 months with no problems except that you will never get a true 12V out of it.

Realistically you are going to spend atleast $50 converting one. If you consider the cost/time/know how, it is cheaper to pick up a used 30 amp Rivergate on Ebay for that amount.

If you still want to give it a try, all the parts can be found at Radio Shack. Make sure you use a quality power supply with an aluminum not steel case with plenty of wattage. An internal fan is a must. PC's don't typically encounter the sustained load that a couple of chargers can put on the power supply so you have to make sure it stays cool.

Oh yeah and follow the directions:

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.bat...owersupply.htm
mkdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Pyramid 20 Amp power supply (PSV200) is even more of a bargain at $55.
The fan does not turn on unless needed (so far, mine has never turned on), and the power switch is that big, red, illuminated push button. Easy to see to turn on and off.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdut
It is entirely possible to convert a PC power supply. I used one for about 6 months with no problems except that you will never get a true 12V out of it.
If you add a couple of sandbar resistors you can easily bump your voltage up to well over 12V.
Johnny9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:08 PM   #10
Tech Master

Yes I do understand that it is possible to boost the voltage to over 12V(a tenth or two at best) by using a couple of 1 Ohm resistors in series. The problem lies with heat dissipation and unless you take the neccessary precautions this can lead to problems. For someone with little to no experience with this it is best to stick to a 10 ohm and call it a day.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:10 AM   #11
Tech Master

I have one PC power Supply converted in my work room, with ALL bus bars useable and never an issue, I also have two, yest TWO 550W power supplies in a flight case pumping out 12V each for charging at the track, and can cope with 6 chargers, and no issue's.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:05 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Default pc ps

You do need to be aware that some---- some chargers will not run off a supply that puts out less than 13v. Even with 1hm resistors in series the first one I did only puts out 12v. the second one I did actually dropped voltage-- don't know why.
Anyway, I know that a aps dyno charge will not run on a 12v out put. They require a 12v input. On the screen of the dyno charge it tells you the input voltage. When I put the multimeter on the ps it shows 11.9 or better. The screen shows 10.8-11.2 and it will not function. I do however not have a problem running 2 muchmore chargers or 1 much more and a pulsar. The pulsar does say low input but it charges at 6 amps just fine and no issue with longer charge time or anything.
I have been using these pc ps for over a year and never had any other issues. If you do them correctly and shrink tube your wires and use 3-4 of the colored leads to each of your terminal outputs there should be no safety issues. Sloppy work is of course always an issue.

Check your chargers input requirements. It will say something like 11-14v.
If it says 12 like the APS does it will probably not work for you.

There are new versions of pc psupplies out now that have a dual 12v buss. One of these is for higher 12v output. There is even a version out that has adjustable pots on all 3 voltages. It is around $100 though.I have not converted one of these but I am really tempted as you may not need to do resistors and you can still get the 3v and 5v outputs to do run in and lathe power.

Darrald
drsfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:28 AM   #13
Tech Master

overkill??

DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:04 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I converted a PC powersupply a few months ago and I love it. It was just sitting on my shelf and cost me about $15 in parts and 1 hour of time. Runs 2 chargers no prob and I can cut and break in motors without interupting either charger. I'm thinking about wiring power to a usb port so I can charge my Ipod at the track.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:14 AM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
overkill??
Do ya think?

It looks like you could power 3 or 4 peoples chargers with that thing.