R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-20-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper
Thumbs up Lithium ion battery packs

I was looking at some lipo chargers and came across a charger that was specifically for A123 batteries. So I checked them out and came up with this: http://www.a123racing.com/ which is related to http://www.a123systems.com/html/home.html
Looks very ineresting. They have one pack that has an adjustable voltage output. Plus they claim that they do not explode or catch fire...

Last edited by minicooper; 11-20-2006 at 08:24 PM. Reason: mistake in my post
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

They're not lipos-they're litium ion.

I already have some on the way.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

I don't think I've ever seen a battery company whether they produce Li-Ion, Lipo, NiMH, or NiCd claim that there is "no risk of fire or explosion". Sounds like a pile of marketing BS as they left off the as long as they are treated properly. I have 8 orion platinums that I run in my car and my kids' cars so I'm obviously not afraid of Lipos. But I treat them right 100% of the time. There's always a chance of a problem with any battery technology and to claim otherwise doesn't seem truthful without some facts to back it up. I'll sit back and wait until there's something to prove it.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOlds

Yes, sorry about that "ion" I was brain dead when I posted.

When you get them can you please report back and let us know what you think? Thanks
Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The main problem with these right now is that they dont come in a size that fits a 1/10 car right now. The only one that is even close, you are going to have to do some major modification. If they do come out with one, i dont see why they wouldnt, if they are comparable to Lipo in power (which ive already heard they arent for some technical reason i cant explain) , the quick charge and non fire issue would be an advantage.
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:45 PM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOlds

LiPo's are lithium-ion. More specifically, they are lithium-ion polymer. However, cylindrical, wet-electrolyte lithium-ion calls are referred to as lithium-ion and the flat, putty like electrolyte lithium ion cells are referred to as LiPo or Lipoly.

And if you think the A123 racing's cells are a marketing gimic, you are so very wrong. Fact is, if you read a little you will find that the reason the technology has been limited to the one size cylindrical cell they're using is that they are still in the testing phase. Also, read on and you'll see the possibilities of a cell capable of the kind of charge and discharge rates this one has is unbelievable. What could we do with a battery pack that has a 18,000mah (that's 18 amp hours) capacity and can supply all the rip you could ever use to your 1/8th scale truggy or 1/8th scale onroad car, and you could recharge it in 10-15 minutes? Put it this way, at those kind of C rates, a 10 amp charge would be the slow charge mode... You're gonna need a 30 amp pitbull for each charger....
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:06 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Wow, no matter how you slice it or dice it, the future looks very good
BigDog - do you know the reason why you'd need a different charger for these batteries? Assuming that you had two packs with equal capacity one A123 pack and any other lipoly pack. Is it be cause of the wet vs. putty chemical make up?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:19 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

lithium ion and lithium ion polymer charge the same way, you would need a different charger because of the mah rating of the battery. You would a charger capable of charging at a higher amperage.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:49 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogRacing
And if you think the A123 racing's cells are a marketing gimic, you are so very wrong.
Like I said I'm reserving judgement for real world results. No risk of fire or explosion implies that even with user error or physical damage, nothing CAN happen. It's a big claim to make when every other type of battery so far has potential to cause damage - burn down your house(or car as seen on this board) like lipo or a shotgun style blast to the gut when a nimh explodes - Again recently seen.

I'd love nothing more for this to be true and for the tech to take off but I'm cynical by nature.

Plus they must be out of the testing phase because I can buy them now.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote