R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

IN our area, 19T touring-car is pretty much the largest class. 1/12 is doing okay - but not growing as quickly as TC. The quickest growing class though is the Tamiya Mini class which IMO has a few things going right for it:

1) Controlled batteries
2) Controlled motors
3) Low cost for entry
4) The cars are very durable

Perfect for entry-level ... and some at our club are finding them a great 2nd class.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:28 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On road in general has been pretty slow. I got back into racing last October; at that time I asked what car was the car to get etc....was told to get an XRay t1FK05, as that was the new car at the time, 3700's were the batteries to get but wait a month and the 3800's will be out. Since then, XRay alone has released the T2, T2R (which i suppose is a good thing) and now the T2-007. Batteries are now up to 4300. I ended up buying a used 05 because thats what I could afford.
Ive been thinking about racing off road myself as i looked into what it cost and it seems that most kits are less than or about half the cost of an average tourer which are approaching $500. A set of springs for an off road car are about $2-$3...springs for my 05 - $15. All parts are substantially less for off road for the most part. Also it seems that it is more driver than equipment in off road.
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:01 PM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We've seen the sedan class pick up quite a bit recently running SS4300/LiPo. We also have a lot of guys that are less experienced doing stock rubber sedan. We allow them to run the Novak 13.5 in that class which has helped quite a bit. There's some ebb and flow in 1/12th scale. It's been down a bit recently.

I know I run the BL/LiPo argument into the ground, so I'll ease off. But, I think there is a VERY strong correlation between the rigors of NiMH/brushed maintenance/tuning, and the general apathy toward on-road.

To a lesser extent, people that think they need to buy a new $400 kit every 6 months are just being stupid consumers, especially for club racing. Nothing has changed so drastically in the last 2 years of on-road racing that your older car is going to be at a disadvantage. People need to realize when they suck, and stop looking at their cars as the problem. If you're not good with a T2, spending another $400 on a T2'007 isn't going to fix that. It's hard to blame the companies, it's not their fault stupid consumers are making them rich.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:09 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
People need to realize when they suck, and stop looking at their cars as the problem.

baaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha.......like thats ever going to happen........
Old 11-21-2006, 06:24 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I currently race an FK04. Before that I had a TC3 with a BMI chassis. I swore that I would only change when I had outgrown the TC3 and could no longer do better with it. When I finally was shown the reality that the 04 had much more durable parts, I made the switch. I purchased my 04 for about $200 used, and driving improved by quite a bit. More from the car being more durable than more precise/better engineered. Because the car is more durable, I was able to get in more actual race time, and make my practices count. I now regurlarly frequent the A main at our local club. The 04 is still a very valid chassis in doing regurlar club racing, and they can be had on the market for a pretty fair price used. People that buy the chassis of the week are nice people in my book, they make it easier for the frugal minded people to get in.

Now to get the upper echelon to stop telling newBs that they NEED the latest to even compete...
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:46 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

edited ............
Patriiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:00 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Well, I'm one of the new ones getting into racing. The expense has been the difficult part and people at the local track here didn't tell me to start with the expensive chassis. They gave me good advice on good affordable things to start with and they have a great stock/rubber class that allows the Novak 13.5 brushless motors. Rebuilding motors has been intimidating and the reason I hadn't really gotten into racing before but with brushless...I'm in. Less to maintain and more time to race. Now, I just need an ESC and a digital servo and I'm ready to go.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:58 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

TC racing here (Milwaukee) was down for awhile but is hopefully starting to pick up.

I agree that some manufacturers are going overboard with the new car routine - I'd call it the "X-ray syndrome".

Locally, we have a guy who still runs his first edition TC3 and still is very competitive. TC doesn't have to be expensive, but it does require a "just say NO" attitude to new bling. The new cells last really do last a year of weekly stock racing - heck, my son is running year old plus 3700's and is just as fast as Dad with 3800's or 4200's. Rubber tires (control CS-27) will last a full 10 week season.

If you want lowest cost on road racing, try to get a class of Tamiya Mini's going - it is the ultimate low cost, high fun class. Sturdy little cars, inexpensive motors that just get better as you run them (until they wear out after many many runs) - heck, Tamiya now includes in their newest kits an ESC that is fine and competitive for this class. A pack of Mini's running indoors on carpet is just plain fun.

I do think, however, that TC racing is suffering from one other item other than cost issues - the lack of excitement of IFMAR qualifying. Running three heats of IFMAR qualifying, but only one main of head to head racing is dull for 3/4's of the time. Let's get back to heads up racing for both qualifying and the mains. Spectators will certainly enjoy it more, as will the racers. Around here we race the Mini class as always heads up racing, no IFMAR qualifying, and it helps to make the class more fun.
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:18 AM   #24
Tech Adept

(" Let's get back to heads up racing for both qualifying and the mains. Spectators will certainly enjoy it more, as will the racers. Around here we race the Mini class as always heads up racing, no IFMAR qualifying, and it helps to make the class more fun.")

That will only make it more harder for the budget racer headup mean that you would have to run 4 good packs to keep up with the other racers it's like racing 4 mains.
Mutabarucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Let see!!

$200 chassis, 4 3300s, 12 turn motor, and yes there will be mod buggy class today.

$400 chassis, 4 4300s, 7 turn motor, and no there isn't a mod class today - you'll have to buy a stock motor to race today.

I don't get it. Everyone's buying all this expensive touring car stuff so they can go fast then stuff a stock motor in it. It's like going down to the Ferrari dealership and ordering an F40 with a Geo Metro engine.
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow
Let see!!

$200 chassis, 4 3300s, 12 turn motor, and yes there will be mod buggy class today.

$400 chassis, 4 4300s, 7 turn motor, and no there isn't a mod class today - you'll have to buy a stock motor to race today.

I don't get it. Everyone's buying all this expensive touring car stuff so they can go fast then stuff a stock motor in it. It's like going down to the Ferrari dealership and ordering an F40 with a Geo Metro engine.
That is SO true! And nobody wants to race Geos with Ferrari engines-that would require throttle control. And be a level playing field.Oh,the horror.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #27
TLRacing

I feel partly it is the release of a new car kit every 6-8 months from manufacturers does not help things. However when the cars cost $250 racers were searching for the next cool car. HPI Pro 4 comes out and everyone loves the graphite version of the TC3. Then Xray enters the market with a new car that is all graphite and aluminum. All of the sudden molded chassis and components are eliminated due to the market demand of graphite plate chassis. Well graphite and aluminum does cost more than a molded plastic part.

I also feel a big part is the batteries. We need to stop these batteries wars. GP4300, IB4200, IB4200SHV, IB4200WE. What the hell? These batteries are good enough to run a 7t mod motor for over 5 minutes however the ruling organizations through out the world do not put a stop to these new cells from the battery manufacturers being IB or GP. Where will batteries be in 1 year from now? Instead of these battery companies making new cells they need to work on making cell life LONGER.

Hopefully someone will step up and put an end to the battery of the month club. It will have to be a manufacturer like Orion, Trinity, SMC, etc

As for motors, hats off to everyone Orion, Checkpoint, and Trinity for making their motors run great for multiple runs. Now we have brushless which is a great thing to see for mod racing. In the 19T and stock racing we can never change that as people love to tune their motors.

Tires have been improved immensely with CS 27 and RP30 as handout tires. Clubs are using these tires for their weekly club racing. Just like we did with tires we need to do with batteries.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:07 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Slow, I hear your pain!!! same problem in my area. I'll never run stock again, but most people in my area have like 15 years exp. and still run stock exclusively. This is part of the reason racing in our are has not grown. Besides, I wanna go fast; but it seems i'll be racing alone
lonepalm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:10 AM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The last thing that TC needs is another class - however the remedy to dropping numbers may be to develop a novice development program at your club. Have the class limited to a certain motor and battery, rubber tires, and a small selection of equal chassis's and you have the makings for some fair and competitive racing on a budget. IMO, the reason that the M-chassis class is so fun to run is that the cars are low cost ... both to buy and to run. Convert that philosophy into 1/10 TC and you will see the class start to grow again.

Use this novice class as a platform for development and as these drivers skills improve, moving them into more competitive 1/10 racing will not be such a leap as their skills will support the purchase of a better chassis (making this choice more enjoyable). Ideal chassis selections would be anything that can be purchased for under $200 (i.e. the TA05)... a Tamiya Black Can motor (low maintenance), and some Peak 3000 stick packs. The Tamiya TCS series has a great model to look at - and has had some excellent success.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #30
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutabarucka
(" Let's get back to heads up racing for both qualifying and the mains. Spectators will certainly enjoy it more, as will the racers. Around here we race the Mini class as always heads up racing, no IFMAR qualifying, and it helps to make the class more fun.")

That will only make it more harder for the budget racer headup mean that you would have to run 4 good packs to keep up with the other racers it's like racing 4 mains.
That is what makes the Reedy Race Invite Class so exciting. The great thing about heads up is that it gives the underdog a shot to qualifying good or maybe even win who knows. The mains will have the same drivers in it except for a few new names from time to time.

What if Nascar had IFMAR qualifying....who the hell would watch it.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote