R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Precision Racing Systems Pinion Gears 64 pitch aluminum

Has anyone else have problems with these pinions?
I've chewed up 2 116 spurs using 2 different one and a friend of mind chewed up another one this last Saturday. Both cars are X-ray T2, ( 16, 24 and 28 was being used on 116 robinson spur gears ). I went back to the Steel pinion and did not have any peoblems. I also had 2 experience racers take a look at the gear mesh and made sure the motor was tight before I ran it. The last one was a new spur and it ran 8 feet before it chewed it up. There is a little side play with the spur but everyone else has the same play as mine....

I got these from Stormer Hobbies ( I don't believe this is a stormer hobby issue ) and the production information provided:

Part Number: PRS6428
Pinion Gear-28 tooth, 64 pitch aluminum

These ultra-precise pinion gears are machined perfectly round from light 6061 aluminum, then hard teflon coated black. Eight additional lightening holes have been added to reduce the rotating mass. These pinion gears also take the large .062" tip wrench that are used on your 4 x 40mm button head screws.
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
16, 24 and 28 was being used on 116 robinson spur gears
You might want to try a higher tooth pinion due to the angle between each pair of teeth becomes wider. So the tips of the teeth are farther apart, and this does make the mesh less smooth and increases wear/tear. Start at 31/116T 64P. Then move up or down from 31T depending on your tracks rollout.

Team EA Motorsports driver: Tony Rumple, had once told me that spur gears appear to be round but really are elliptical and can give you a perfect mesh on one side of the spur but when rotated 90 degrees can give you a very tight mesh. Precision Racing Gears are high in quality and do not deviate from it's shape which is perfectly round. Try them out as they are inexpensive.
fav0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:15 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Has anyone else have problems with these pinions?
I've chewed up 2 116 spurs using 2 different one and a friend of mind chewed up another one this last Saturday. Both cars are X-ray T2, ( 16, 24 and 28 was being used on 116 robinson spur gears ). I went back to the Steel pinion and did not have any peoblems. I also had 2 experience racers take a look at the gear mesh and made sure the motor was tight before I ran it. The last one was a new spur and it ran 8 feet before it chewed it up. There is a little side play with the spur but everyone else has the same play as mine....

I got these from Stormer Hobbies ( I don't believe this is a stormer hobby issue ) and the production information provided:

Part Number: PRS6428
Pinion Gear-28 tooth, 64 pitch aluminum

These ultra-precise pinion gears are machined perfectly round from light 6061 aluminum, then hard teflon coated black. Eight additional lightening holes have been added to reduce the rotating mass. These pinion gears also take the large .062" tip wrench that are used on your 4 x 40mm button head screws.
You said there was some side play? Does this mean the spur was loose? You should only have side play in a ball diff. On a touring car the spur gear should be locked down tight and you should not have any side play.

Can you go into more detail on the "chewed" spurs? Are the teeth stripping out? Were they PRS spurs or another manufacturer?

If there is an issue with our products we will fix it ASAP but we just need a bit more info?

PRS - Hyperdrive - EA Motorsports - Corally USA - Parma/Faskolor - SMC - Killer Koncepts - MSA - Finishline - IRS - Lunsford - Trinity - Guarantee Graphix - RC4Less
Tornado_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #4
Tech Master

Also, what is the state of the pinion?
Old 11-23-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
Tech Elite

I use Titaniumracing pinions with Xenon spurs 64dp without any problems. I know Robinson is making two different 48dp pinions and spurs metric and standard. I don't know if there are also 2 different spurs for 64dp gears.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Could it be just a bad batch?

I once got some cvd's from TiR that were not hardened to spec. They disappeared within a few runs. Almost totally worn through.
That said - their customer service was exceptional and they sent me some replacement bones. Highly impressed..

Enough that I'd recommend the TiR stuff for sure. They sure do stand by their product!

Might be worthwhile ringing them (manufacturer) up about the issue..
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado_Racing
You said there was some side play? Does this mean the spur was loose? You should only have side play in a ball diff. On a touring car the spur gear should be locked down tight and you should not have any side play.

Can you go into more detail on the "chewed" spurs? Are the teeth stripping out? Were they PRS spurs or another manufacturer?

If there is an issue with our products we will fix it ASAP but we just need a bit more info?
Car: X-ray T2, monster stock, Spur:116 kimbrough 26 pinion black Alumin.
The play in the spur was a little side to side, not as much as a 12 scale but a little.
First time: brand new pinion and maybe 2 months ( 7 club races ).
The spur was rounded off in one part of it and chewed on another. I thought I had not set the mesh correct or something was loose.....
Second time: Brand new spur and different pinion ( 28 ) I had 2 experience people ( both have raced in the nationals and birds/Cleveland/Vegas ) check the mesh ans they said it was good. Went 10 feet and that sound you hate to hear... Mowed/rounded the teeth more on one part of the spur that the other...

THe third time a fellow racer with the same car and spur used a 24 tooth and after 1 minute... the same sound..... He was not a happy racer.....

I am going to try one of them on my as scale this weekend and see how it works.... maybe there is something in the x-ray but when I used a steel pinion 26 tooth it was just fine..... I ahve re-checked the car twice and have not seen any wrong but who knows....

I'm hoping its something either I am doing or something bent cause I like the pinions and I have 10 different sizes .
RC Tech member #11
Old 11-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Car: X-ray T2, monster stock, Spur:116 kimbrough 26 pinion black Alumin.
The play in the spur was a little side to side, not as much as a 12 scale but a little.
First time: brand new pinion and maybe 2 months ( 7 club races ).
The spur was rounded off in one part of it and chewed on another. I thought I had not set the mesh correct or something was loose.....
Second time: Brand new spur and different pinion ( 28 ) I had 2 experience people ( both have raced in the nationals and birds/Cleveland/Vegas ) check the mesh ans they said it was good. Went 10 feet and that sound you hate to hear... Mowed/rounded the teeth more on one part of the spur that the other...

THe third time a fellow racer with the same car and spur used a 24 tooth and after 1 minute... the same sound..... He was not a happy racer.....

I am going to try one of them on my as scale this weekend and see how it works.... maybe there is something in the x-ray but when I used a steel pinion 26 tooth it was just fine..... I ahve re-checked the car twice and have not seen any wrong but who knows....

I'm hoping its something either I am doing or something bent cause I like the pinions and I have 10 different sizes .
Could your centershaft be bent? You had stated that the teeth were rounded off on one side and chewed on the other.

Have you tried one of our spurs on your T2 with our pinion? If you were using a Kimbrough spur there could be a good chance the gear is out-o-round. From what you have described it seems as if it's either a spur problem, something in the center/layshaft, or possibly a bent motor mount.

As I have stated before we stand behind all of our products and if you have a defective gear we WILL replace it at no charge.

Feel free to call or e-mail me so we can resolve this issue and you can get back to racing.

Tony Moffre
PRS Customer Service
www.prsrc.com
[email protected]
704-239-9093

PRS - Hyperdrive - EA Motorsports - Corally USA - Parma/Faskolor - SMC - Killer Koncepts - MSA - Finishline - IRS - Lunsford - Trinity - Guarantee Graphix - RC4Less
Old 11-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
Tech Master

Yer i cant see how a pinion could actually cause this problem. Aluminum is softer than steel but i can see why that would rip a spur gear up faster..

Not as if its anything to do with heat either. I had a spur gear go out of round on me the other day so when i checked the mesh it was perfect but if you spun the spur 90 degrees it was either really tight or really loose!

Also, check layshaft bearings. I had one that went really loose but after a run it was fine... :S Think it was something to do with how the bearings clamp down in the BD. Not sure how it is on an Xray.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheyhoe
Yer i cant see how a pinion could actually cause this problem. Aluminum is softer than steel but i can see why that would rip a spur gear up faster..

Not as if its anything to do with heat either. I had a spur gear go out of round on me the other day so when i checked the mesh it was perfect but if you spun the spur 90 degrees it was either really tight or really loose!

Also, check layshaft bearings. I had one that went really loose but after a run it was fine... :S Think it was something to do with how the bearings clamp down in the BD. Not sure how it is on an Xray.
All PRS pinions are military grade hardcoated so the rockwell hardness is that of a steel pinion, just half the weight.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado_Racing
Could your centershaft be bent? You had stated that the teeth were rounded off on one side and chewed on the other.

Have you tried one of our spurs on your T2 with our pinion? If you were using a Kimbrough spur there could be a good chance the gear is out-o-round. From what you have described it seems as if it's either a spur problem, something in the center/layshaft, or possibly a bent motor mount.

As I have stated before we stand behind all of our products and if you have a defective gear we WILL replace it at no charge.

Feel free to call or e-mail me so we can resolve this issue and you can get back to racing.

Tony Moffre
PRS Customer Service
www.prsrc.com
[email protected]
704-239-9093
Thanks for the tips...

New motor (Trinity C027 2 weeks ago) and the shaft is not bent.
The center shaft is also dead on..... The current spur is not a kimbrough but a Pro touring 116 ( PRS64116PLT ) I want to test everything out and have a couple of experience people take second look. If I/they find anything I'll let you now. If not then I'd like to send you a couple of these to take a look at them it thats alright...
RC Tech member #11
Old 11-26-2006, 10:15 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

From my experence with PRS, I can say they are a top notch company and put out very good product. I first started using their product when two of the local club racers told me to switch the the PRs 64p spur gears and pinion. This was for parking lot racing. All the others told me not to do it. Saying that 48p is better and will last longer. also them very small rocks would chew them up.Well after 6 months of racing I can see no signs of wear. Pretty much raced every weekend. Guess what. There is a heck of alot more people using 64p. The only thing I have noticed, out of the package , I have found there is a very slight side to side movement or proper term run out. Never a out of round problem. I dont use the counter sunk side of the spur gear, I use the side that requires the button head screw.
tunnelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:59 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the tips...

New motor (Trinity C027 2 weeks ago) and the shaft is not bent.
The center shaft is also dead on..... The current spur is not a kimbrough but a Pro touring 116 ( PRS64116PLT ) I want to test everything out and have a couple of experience people take second look. If I/they find anything I'll let you now. If not then I'd like to send you a couple of these to take a look at them it thats alright...
No problem, be sure to let us know your findings.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:38 AM   #14
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to KoE

Been using PRS spur/pinion for a while without any problem. Getting them here is the problem
Old 11-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #15
Tech Champion

I'll post more later but in the 12 scale I did not have any problems with the 3 pinions. And I ran about 250-300 laps so if there was a problem I should have found it. The x-ray I have "other" issues and did not run the PRS gears.

I think Tony may have pin-pointed the problem with something being a little off in the drivetrain, motor not quite straight, something in the center layshaft, mayb e even a bent/broken rear arm that caused the rear diff to "lean" to one side....

Thanks for all the help and I'll post more info after I run these on the x-ray....
RC Tech member #11