R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-20-2006, 02:16 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Why won't my solder stay on the motor

Hi Guy's
Every time I solder onto the motor the wires come off almost straight away. The motors are not getting hot. Can anyone suggest what type of watt's there solder is and what solder wire to use to get the best of there wire's staying on.
I am currently using a Goot solder which is 50 watt's and I use 50/50 solder.
Please help with this one if you can.
Thank's Guy's
Addam
Wing Chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:45 AM   #2
Tech Master

The problem is that your iron is not hot enough. If you're soldering to motors like a Orion V2, you need a hotter iron.

50 watt would be fine is you are using a flat tip iron. If you're not then then a hotter iron is needed. I use a 80 watt iron, it can solder wires to motors to cells.....etc...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:51 AM   #3
Tech Master

Thank's Ben
As alway's your there for the help i need. Thank's Mate
Addam
Old 11-20-2006, 03:19 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Before you solder - make sure everything is clean and spotless.

Let that iron heat up for a few mins. The hotter the better.

Use a little flux on the wire and a quick wipe of it on the solder tabs on the motor.

Tin the wires first.

Wait for the iron to heat again..

Put the tinned wire onto the tab, chuck the iron on top and voila.

The biggest thing is to make sure that iron is hot, and everything is clean. If need be, strip a new section of wire and wipe the solder tab down with alcohol.

The cleaner the joint you get, the more power you'll have to laydown so be a bit anal about it..

Cheers!
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:27 AM   #5
Tech Master

Thank's AngryAsian
Best wishes
Addam
Old 11-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I personally think more RC racers should consider soldering guns rather than soldering irons for safety reasons. With a soldering iron, it's always on, and you could burn yourself on your own, or someone else's iron accidentally. If you are at home, and leave your iron plugged in, you could burn your house down. Just seems like unecessary risks to me. Over the years, I've discovered the best soldering gun available. Check out my thread on it.
This gun has so much power (400W and 550W tips available) that you'll only wait 3-4 seconds for it to heat up. Heats up to 1000 degrees F!

Many people that I've talked to have had accidents or close calls with the "always on" soldering irons. Most people have hot irons runing in their pits all the time. I remember a close encounter when reaching across someone's pit area to borrow an item, nearly burning the crap out of my arm on their iron. Surely would have left a permanent scar. Some irons have a light on them, which helps a little bit. However, when there is a good soldering gun alternative out there, 3-4 second wait is something I'm willing to do for saftey for myself, my house, and my fellow racers.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

error
Old 11-20-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I've been around soldering irons for so long that I always assume they are hot.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:12 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James35
I remember a close encounter when reaching across someone's pit area to borrow an item, nearly burning the crap out of my arm on their iron.
Sounds like a pretty good theft deterent to me. jk
Seriously though, I wouldn't want someone reaching across my pit area like that anyway.
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Addam you have a pm
Boondall. SuperShot, XX, SVR,Schumacher Storm BigWig
heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euge
Sounds like a pretty good theft deterent to me. jk
Seriously though, I wouldn't want someone reaching across my pit area like that anyway.
Hehe, yeah, I should have reworded that. The racer let me borrow something from his pit, and I almost got burnt on his iron.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFMAD
Hi Guy's
Every time I solder onto the motor the wires come off almost straight away. The motors are not getting hot. Can anyone suggest what type of watt's there solder is and what solder wire to use to get the best of there wire's staying on.
I am currently using a Goot solder which is 50 watt's and I use 50/50 solder.
Please help with this one if you can.
Thank's Guy's
Addam
Are you sure the solder you're using is for electronics?

Try some 60/40 Rosin Core Solder and you should be good.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Talking

True story:
A young lad showed up trackside with a nasty looking red burn up his cheek, when asked how it happened he said well I was doing some soldering and I got an itchy ear...

To this day I feel bad about how much everyone laughed .
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by James35
I personally think more RC racers should consider soldering guns rather than soldering irons for safety reasons. With a soldering iron, it's always on, and you could burn yourself on your own, or someone else's iron accidentally. If you are at home, and leave your iron plugged in, you could burn your house down. Just seems like unecessary risks to me. Over the years, I've discovered the best soldering gun available. Check out my thread on it.
This gun has so much power (400W and 550W tips available) that you'll only wait 3-4 seconds for it to heat up. Heats up to 1000 degrees F!

Many people that I've talked to have had accidents or close calls with the "always on" soldering irons. Most people have hot irons runing in their pits all the time. I remember a close encounter when reaching across someone's pit area to borrow an item, nearly burning the crap out of my arm on their iron. Surely would have left a permanent scar. Some irons have a light on them, which helps a little bit. However, when there is a good soldering gun alternative out there, 3-4 second wait is something I'm willing to do for saftey for myself, my house, and my fellow racers.
I use a 375 W soldering gun for any big job like battery bars. If you can't heat the component up quickly enough to get solder flowing in a few seconds, you put too much heat into the component. Underpowered soldering irons are the worst culprits. Holding a soldering iron on a battery for 30 seconds waiting for it to get hot enough to melt the solder is a sure fire way to heat up the entire battery. A good soldering gun and bang, you're done. Just like spot welding, less heat into the component.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I've posted this before so I will do it again. I've had the same problem in soldering as well until my LHS clued me in on this:

Buy this iron

And buy Deans solder

You have now solved your problem for less than 10 bucks.

The iron comes with a replaceable tip when the first burns out, which hasn't happend for me in the past 6 months, and additional tips are cheap.

No need to give up your budget for tires to buy that fancy oversized iron.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote