R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #46
Tech Master

Danny,

Would like to know...I'm using an Orion advantage charger and it's lowest peak detection setting is 0.03 is that ok?? I have the temp set @ 50degreesC.

And also, what is the highest capacity setting should I setup my advantage charger with. I'm currently now set my charger to cut off @ 4650 Mah. Is this fine or is it too high or low??

Thanks in advance.....
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:23 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.C
Danny,

Would like to know...I'm using an Orion advantage charger and it's lowest peak detection setting is 0.03 is that ok?? I have the temp set @ 50degreesC.

And also, what is the highest capacity setting should I setup my advantage charger with. I'm currently now set my charger to cut off @ 4650 Mah. Is this fine or is it too high or low??

Thanks in advance.....

Personally I think that 4650 is a bit to high I use 4350 mah cut off. I am not sure what others are using but that has been just fine. Temps are also within tolerance.

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:35 PM   #48
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.C
Danny,

Thanks in advance.....

I'm not familiar with this charger but I would think it would have lower than .03 peak detect. Typically these chargers use mV per cell or entire pack. So maybe the lowest is 3mV which is .003 per cell which means your pack would be at 18mV which is .018 which is almost the same as .02

I'm not a big fan of temp charging or mAh charging. I like to use peak detection. You can use the temp cutoff as a security feature. I would set it at 150 degrees Farenheit. If the peak detection circuitry works well on this charger then your pack should not get much higher than 140 degrees using a .018 peak detect.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:34 PM   #49
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
I'm not familiar with this charger but I would think it would have lower than .03 peak detect. Typically these chargers use mV per cell or entire pack. So maybe the lowest is 3mV which is .003 per cell which means your pack would be at 18mV which is .018 which is almost the same as .02

I'm not a big fan of temp charging or mAh charging. I like to use peak detection. You can use the temp cutoff as a security feature. I would set it at 150 degrees Farenheit. If the peak detection circuitry works well on this charger then your pack should not get much higher than 140 degrees using a .018 peak detect.

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the info...140F would be about 65C, So I'm still very safe.

How many mAHs will I be looking at when it peaks with the given settings??
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:28 AM   #50
Tech Master

This >4000 mah cells become quite interesting...

I want to know how you treat those cells (IB4200 unmatched, loose cell) for the 1st time

My question :

What did you do for the 1st time charging ?
Danny/SMC, as a matcher : when you get those cell and before you matched them....

asw7576 and Ben.C as regular player : after you buy unmatched cell from LHS

Some say that we need to charge them 1,000 mah initially and discharge them, next charge them fully to its capacity

Any idea ?
akuhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:45 AM   #51
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuhon

Some say that we need to charge them 1,000 mah initially and discharge them, next charge them fully to its capacity

Any idea ?
Just little break in period.

When 1st time to charge to full capacity ( after building the battery ) most likely the battery will false peak, and continue to false peak if you charge again. There is possibility of overcharging, and you don't want it. So that's why you need to charge little bit, discharge it, equalize it, and then recharge it again. Usually it will charge nicely all the way to maximum capacity.

Most important about IB cells : never store the battery empty. I learnt the hard way ( getting lousy cells' performance ). So now, I either leave the battery as is after racing ( lazy mode ), or I equalize it and give 1000Mah ( diligent mode ).
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #52
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutabarucka
Danny,

I have been through this thread and notice that you said back a page or so that you should not go under 1v per cell that's when you start losing runtime
and in another you said you can discharge to .09v per cell now if you go to .09v when you EQ are you going to lose runtime too? now what if i go to .07v when i EQ before i charge do i lose runtime too? i run mostly stock and sometime 19t most stock does it matter if i lose runtime as long as the IR and the Volts stay the same or losing runtime mean i lose IR and Volts, i know lots of question but i want to know thank you.
A stored cell that will have it's resting voltage go under 1 volt will have a drop in runtime. This isn't the same as discharging the cell down to .90 volts as the resting voltage once the cutoff is reached will go up to 1.20 or so.

It seems like there are many racers who have different methods and use different equipment to treat there cells in the end whatever works for you is fine.

Here is what I use personally and works fine. Before I build a new pack I discharge each cell individually on a discharge tray. I use an Integy 0-30 which gets the job done. I know allot of you guys like to spend money and buy the latest and greatest trays and I'm sure they work fine but for me the 0-30 gets the job done. I will then assemble the pack then charge it for 500 seconds then dischagre it at 35 amps down to .90 per cell on my T-35 GFX. Let the pack rest a bit for it to cool down then it will be ready for a full charge. The reason why a small charge is put into the pack and then it's discharged is to wake up the cell. It seems like when the cells sit for awhile being inactive they will be more likely to vent. I have had some packs that I didn't use for a few months and when I cycled them a cell or two vented. Even if the cells vented when I checked the pack the next day it had the same specs and was as good as before.

If you race on a weekly level store your pack with 500 seconds of charge using a 6 amp charge if you use a lower charge rate put more seconds back into the pack. If your not going to race the pack for awhile I reccomend you charge it back up for 500 seconds then discharge it after it has sat around for 2 weeks. Let it cool down and then put charge back into it for future storage. This is a precaution to make sure your packs stay in the best possible shape. As Ray Huang mentioned he had a pack sitting for a long period of time and when he cycled it it still was in great shape but it's better to be safe than sorry.

When I show up at the race track discharge my packs down to .90 per cell. I will do this on my GFX and most of the time there is not allot of charge left in the cells as they have selfdischarged. Then prior to charging it for a practice run or qualifier I place it on the 0-30 for 1 minute then I place it on my charger. After a race I discharge it at 35 amps down to .90 per cell on my GFX and let the packs cool down for 2 hours or more then it's ready to be used again which I repeat the 0-30 for 1 minute then charge it.

This is what I do to my packs and I know it works real well. I'm sure there are plenty of other maintenance routines that work great and I don't claim this is the only way to do it but if you want something that works well use this as a guideline.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:12 AM   #53
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuhon
This >4000 mah cells become quite interesting...

I want to know how you treat those cells (IB4200 unmatched, loose cell) for the 1st time

My question :

What did you do for the 1st time charging ?
Danny/SMC, as a matcher : when you get those cell and before you matched them....

Any idea ?

Read my previous post it should have your answer.

When we start matching our cells we put them on the matchers with no special routines. Just put them on and start the cycle. This works fine as each cell is charged individually and discharged individually.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #54
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
If you race on a weekly level store your pack with 500 seconds of charge using a 6 amp charge if you use a lower charge rate put more seconds back into the pack. If your not going to race the pack for awhile I reccomend you charge it back up for 500 seconds then discharge it after it has sat around for 2 weeks. Let it cool down and then put charge back into it for future storage... .

So Danny,

Can I use this procedure for any type of battery? I mean for IB3800, IB4200... If I not use for a long time, every 2 weeks should I discharge ( is there a recommedation for amps to discharge?) and then charge them again for 500 seconds?

thanks !!!
neosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #55
Tech Master

asw7576 and Danny/SMC, thanks for the tips...
I'll keep that info, in my brain ....
akuhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:43 PM   #56
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

danny,

what do you mean by cells venting.
Flam3b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:53 AM   #57
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosan
So Danny,

Can I use this procedure for any type of battery? I mean for IB3800, IB4200... If I not use for a long time, every 2 weeks should I discharge ( is there a recommedation for amps to discharge?) and then charge them again for 500 seconds?

thanks !!!

Yes this will work for all IB batteries. If there is enough charge in your packs they can be left untouched for more than 2 weeks. I think 3-4 weeks will be no problem. If your still not going to race them after 4 week put 500 seconds of charge back in it then discharge it. I use 35 amps but you can use a lower rate it should not make a difference. Let the pack cool down then put storage charge back in the pack accordingly. I reccomend 1000 seconds for long term storage and 500 for shorter storage.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:56 AM   #58
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flam3b0y
danny,

what do you mean by cells venting.
Venting occurs when a cell gets to hot or overcharges this will make some of the chemicals come out of the positive end of the cells as there is a release mechanism that will allow excess chemicals to come out to reduce internal cell pressure. Most of the time when a cell vents slightly it will still keep the same performance.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:06 AM   #59
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Danny,

For stick pack users like me (IB4200 SHV), would discharging the cells using Spintec Battery Manager yield the same results? I have tried a pack on it (BM version 1) and the IR was something like 22+....as for the IB3800, i guess i have toasted them really good...IR in the region 40 - 60!

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
MTX3-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:45 AM   #60
Company Representative

Yes you can discharge you the Spintec discharger it works fine.