R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-17-2006, 07:06 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

For just starting out, get a FTTC4 on the cheap (new) that you don't need to upgrade at all, and enjoy good local parts availability while you're at it. I think they're being cleared out for under $200.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Does anyone ever spot a Xray T2R....? I think that is the best deal of the year....(cyclone S too...) However, I think most of the ppl who bought the T2R are using it as a spare parts for their T2 or 007....rarely actually running it.

For $200...definitely T2R.....and regarding the question, UPGRADABLE...? Xray....SKY is the limit....(and $$$$$), you can upgrade from T2R to true T2, then to T2 007 Euro and / or US foam spec....truely upgradable chassis.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #18

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Cmotif

Do you need to buy new? There are tons and tons of good use TCs around. I have probably owned more TCs than just about anyone that I know. If you pick yourself a good used TC, you will also get some upgrades as well, and maybe a bunch of spare parts. That will let you know if you have have the RC bug or not once you go out and run for a while.

If you are starting out as a rookie, you can probably start out with a car that is even a few years old that was taken care of by a good racer for dirt cheap. If you practice driving, you can school a lot of rookies who crash that boards and don't tighten their bolts or wheel nuts.

Cmotif <><
International Racing Team Member #18
IRT Established: 1999

Everything About You -- Sanctus Real

www.dontblamejesus.com
Cmotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:22 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

no new is not needed. ive looked some and have not found one, i'm really just looking for cheap. at this time i dont know how much i might use it so cheaper the better
TZona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:30 PM   #20

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Cmotif

A couple of things. What level of racing are you doing? Is it a bunch of guys in a parking lot, or highly organized like a Ripon, CA, SpeedWorld or A-Main in Vancouver, WA?

Have you seen the rookie class?

I would easily bet that you could get a Yokomo MR4TC for 70.00 bucks. How do I know that, I have had 7 of them. None of which I bought new. Take one, and clean it up good. Put in a good motor that has been recently cut, have a digital servo and you are smiling mate.

A lot of rookies use crummy servos that don't center well, and wear out quickly. While they are crashing, drive by.

I ran two RC clubs and have taught at least 25 racers and helped most of those get their first hobby grade RC car.

Cmotif <><
International Racing Team Member #18
IRT Established: 1999

Everything About You -- Sanctus Real

www.dontblamejesus.com
Cmotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

get me a yok for 70 i'll take it :0 i have not been there yet, the local tc indoor is hour and a half away
TZona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Under $150 Touring Car

For under $150 you can get a good used touring car like the Associated TC3 or TC4. Probably $50 (tub chassis) to $150 (Factory Team with lots of upgrades in good condition). Getting into the hobby, find someone reputable (a good local hobby shop or people recommended by several racers at the track) and buy one of their old rides. Run it until you decide if you still like this hobby. Use the money you save to buy parts, batteries, equipment, or just pay your entry fees and get something to eat at the track.

It's a hobby, no need to break the bank to have fun. Just remember that's the idea for 99% of us, to enjoy racing (if you always won, they'd just call it "winning" instead).
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote