R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-19-2003, 09:29 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to JANTLE
Default Getting your stuff to the track........

I am opening this thread up for some of your ideas as to what you would like to see in a R/C specific way of getting your racing goods to the track. As I have been around this Hobby/Sport for 15+ years I have seen many creative ways of hauling this stuff around. None of them in my eyes are a solution that our expensive electronics and supplies deserve. I have seen every thing from tackle boxes, plastic totes, and cardboard boxes/bags. None of them seem to be the best solution. This is a project that is in front of me and many designs are already in progress. To supply the best product on the market I am turning to you to serve as a check and balance system to make sure that this line of products is the best R/C solution to many of our needs. With that being said let the comments roll...........
JANTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
CGR
Tech Regular

for expensive electronics. Pelican cases
CGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:22 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Is there really a solution to this? Some people are minimalist and some literally bring their whole garage to the track. They have those mini-trailers sometimes equipped with their own generators that they tow behind their suvs. I think those big Plano tackle boxes and plastic totes do just fine...then again, that's just me.

And oh, don't forget the aluminum padded brief case that you can get at Lowe's for $20 for your sensitive electronics. This is the same case they sell at hobby shops for like $60.

Last edited by elnitro; 02-19-2003 at 10:25 PM.
elnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 11:36 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

2 plastic clear totes and I'm off to the track.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 11:57 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Default Getting My stuff to the track........

Plano Tackle box:
Tools, charger, discharger, small plastic parts, screws, nuts bolts, Springs, gears , pinions.

Large tote bin:
Starter box, fuel, fuel bottles, radio in radio bag, Motor spray, tweak station, set-up gauges, another plastic box with all of my shock oils inside, ANOTHER box with all of my new in bag spare parts is inside too.

Large Rubbermaid tote box:
ALL of my extra Foam and Rubber tire sets 20+ sets of 4.

The R/C cars get placed on top of the bins.
In the garage, everything gets stored inside the trunk of my 1968 Plymouth Road Runner, really.

It would be nice for someone to make a Hauler bag that the zippers lasted more than 3-6 months. At $50-70 this is almost as expensive as tires.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 02:50 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

i modified my toolbox (about 1' x 1' x 2') with a couple of 3" wheels on one side and a pull handle on the other so that i can carry all my stuff inside (except my radio which has a separate case.) its much easier to roll down to the track than having to lift and carry all that. i lined the box with foam to protect the electronics. anything that i can borrow from my fellow racers, i dont bring
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 06:50 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to lilshortyc3

What I do is I put all my tools in my Plano tool box and it has two special drawers so I put all my small parts and spare parts in there. Then I put all my electronics in my TC3 box and put that in my big duffel bag and it doesn't get squished, then put everything else on top of that like my body and car.. Oh yeah I also have a battery case for all my batteries, I am sure you guys have them too.

Last edited by lilshortyc3; 02-20-2003 at 09:14 AM.
lilshortyc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:03 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to WVRACER

what i would like to see is a modular system

box one
atleast two dwares to hold cars all plastic so you can clean them

box two
2 to 3 shelves that have adjustable conpartments to with a fold down and slide under door so put your charger and dyno and power supply, lathe ect ect and has cut out foam to cussion your electronics

box 3

dwar system with deviders like the plano boxes for small parts and tools

box 4

a full open cavety box large enough to hold fuel bottlein a seperaty devided section and large parts and other items like shirts and rags so on

all four boxes need to be able to clip together in a stand up fassion with wheels on the bottom of one like a dolly setup

one final thing would be a extention cord roler on the side big enough foe 100 foot

i would like this item and i would buy it if it where available

thanks
wvracer
WVRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:34 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to JANTLE

WVRACER..... This is exactly the feedback that I am looking for. I already know the way that most people go to the track now. What I am looking for I guess is what people would like to see as an R/C specific product.
JANTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 08:54 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Re: Getting My stuff to the track........

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
It would be nice for someone to make a Hauler bag that the zippers lasted more than 3-6 months. At $50-70 this is almost as expensive as tires.

I abuse my Losi Hauler bag and the zippers have lasted. The boxes are doing well also.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:23 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to lilshortyc3

How do you guys get your icons underneath ur name?? ThXz!

Last edited by lilshortyc3; 02-20-2003 at 09:25 AM.
lilshortyc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 10:03 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by lilshortyc3
How do you guys get your icons underneath ur name?? ThXz!
Control Panel -> Edit Options -> Avatar
dalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 10:20 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to WVRACER

tell you what jantle i have about 100 bucks in plano boxes and pit bags. i just want a all in one rc specific rolling track box. i have seen tool boxes like what i am talking about but we need one made for rc that has compartments made for rc

i hope you come up with a good product i will be inline to get it to make one trip from my car would make me a real happy racer

thanks

wvracer
WVRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:53 AM   #14
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I'm using a Stanley rolling toolbox. It comes apart into three pieces so I can put it in the cab of my truck if I go into a restaurant or something. It holds 90% of my stuff. All of my tape, my Millenium and Integy dyno and all of my "oils" go in the top with the tools being in the tray (normal toolbox type of thing)

There are two drawers and my solder station goes in the deep one with my lathe and calipers and a few other things. Motors, my Inty setup and 4 most common shock oils go in the shallow drawer with a few other things.

I have a couple of plastic trays that came out of a tackle box - they fit perfectly into the bottom compartment along with my battery container, a couple of cans of motor spray, my power strip and some containers of tires.

When I race electric I have a separate box for my power supply and my Turbo 30. And my cars are separate.

When I race nitro I have a separate box that contains tires, fuel, suntan lotion (for my melon. . .) and other nitro crap. My starter box doesn't go in there, it stays separate. My car is separate too.

It works pretty well. Usually only a single trip since I can stack most things on the toolbox and wheel it along very well. I try to keep a small bungee to keep things from sliding.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:06 AM   #15
Regional Moderator
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

the hauler bags would be better if the inner reinforcement panels had webbing around them to make them act as a single unit for load bearing. additionally, the handle at the top should be fastened through the bag and top reinforcement panel so that the zipper doesn't have to carry so much of the load.
petzl is offline   Reply With Quote