R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Another plus for foam tires : No gluing
what do you mean no gluing.... You have to CA the sides of foam, you have to CA the premounts of Rubber (just to be safe)... Maybe I'm missing something here...

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I LOVED running foam tires on asphault. I did not glue my tires either. Many of us ran the nitro foams which were super cheap and fun to run. I usually just ran them straight out of the box as they are close to the same diameter as a rubber tire. Of course trueing them down would have been faster, but most of the time I just wanted to have fun and it was way cheaper than running rubber tires.
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #108
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have never had to glue foams on asphalt. Only on carpet.
And the diffs last longer. Also the only thing I ever really had to do is change the droop and ride hiegth about every third round, really no big deal.
The plus to foam is its easier to drive with less set up work, to make it around the track faster. As far as the wear and tear on the equipment was only due to the crashes, over all foam is faster more efficiant and is less wear on the equipment. The only draw back is droop and ride hiegth. Even on motor temp and battery drain the foams out do the rubbers.

X
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #109
Tech Lord

Sorry but I dont see the point between newby or pro. Its about preference. I guess newbies should start out with Hotwheels 1st. Tires arent what devides the class of racer, its the skill level.

X
Old 01-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #110
Tech Lord

Foam or rubber. Tires dont make you learn to drive. The desire to win is what will make you drive better. Or the cost of crashing. CH CH Ching.

X
Old 01-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #111
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

The point about new people is this.

New person starts racing... eveything is an uphill battle. Thier driving is not the best, and hit alot of things, thier attention to detail is not all there yet,, as they do not know what to look for.... So they dont change thier setup when the tires get smaller, and they chunk alot more often because they hit the boards/pipes...

If you take the tires out of the equation, it helps for things to be a little less overwhelming, helping to keep them in the game longer.

This really is played out subject. If you like running FOAMS on asphalt, please do so, it makes it fun for you and that is what keeps it a viable hobby. If there are alot of people in your area that feel the same, then thats great, you guys run a class, and have FUN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Sorry but I dont see the point between newby or pro. Its about preference. I guess newbies should start out with Hotwheels 1st. Tires arent what devides the class of racer, its the skill level.

X
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #112
Tech Lord

I agree choose your tire and have fun.

Later
Old 01-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #113
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter
Your missing the point. Nobody argues that Foam is not faster in alot of situations. What is being said... is when things get competetive ( which they always do ). then people will be truing the tires down , so they are 1 or 2 run tires... at that point, you either true your tires down that small, or go home.. because the person truing will be faster. If you want to be competetive, you buy more tires.

Now at Oakland Park, if your not getting 8-10 decent runs out of your rubber tires, then your not setup right. Well then again ( not picking on you here) .. you guys run non rules conforming classes. You dont set a minimum weight.... you guy are out having a good time., and thats great for the hobby, but when it coems to getting into competetive racing, IMHO, you are off base the cost WILL be higher... you could be roasting the rubber with that power...

We run the CS 27 in FSEARA,and if you race that series, you can buy the tires at a sereis price... you would be surpised.... Johan, come on up on Wed night, and you can try out my rubber shod car...

Just because something is faster, does not mean it is better ( more fun for sure:>)
Nice to hear from you Tim. Planning to go up to MDI with Carlos and Alfonso. We spoke, and finally Carlos be able to come up with us. Now, getting back to issue: here is how we do it with foams: we use Enneti tires. All racers do so that we all have the same diameters. We dont true or cu them. Fresh tires, and we use 2 sets. First 4 rounds are run on the first set, and the second round of 4 heats are run on the 2nd set. Then for the mains, we again use the first set, which by now are about 60mm, and the second Main uses the second set again, and so forth. This keeps things innocent, clean, and fun, and cheap. Now, I'm not saying that rubber tires are not nice. Hell yeah, they look sweet, and really work nice of treated, smooth tracks. And like Tim Potter and others here have commented, its you can get 10+ runs out of them on nice smooth treated surfaces, and the diameter stays the same, etc. That's nice. The pblm is that they wear faster, and get worse after every run, and are quite expensive compared to foams. Also, just to clear up something....Tim, we dont run for having fun's sake, solely. We run what we run because there is no one that wants to organize ETC here is our area, and have basically left us hanging, and to practice and inprove our skills, we have to run with the Nitro drivers, to stay sharp and practice, at least. You know the debacle that took place at Coral Springs- how that beautiful track was abandoned!! What a shame. So we did what we had to do to and done a lot of testing and come to those conclusions. Concerning the running of brushless systems, that's a no brainer. Its ROAR/IFMAR EFRA legal, and wonderful technology that saves time and money. The same goes for LIPO's vs. 6 cell. Its the same concept. You can now get the Orion 3200mah packs for the same price of IB 4200mah WC cells, but have a bit more run time, great punch, no discharging, easy to install and set up, less weight and wear on the car, and they are much more durable...now as to the minimum weight/rules issue- we do try to adhere to standard club racing rules- its no different.

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #114
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter
The point about new people is this.

New person starts racing... eveything is an uphill battle. Thier driving is not the best, and hit alot of things, thier attention to detail is not all there yet,, as they do not know what to look for.... So they dont change thier setup when the tires get smaller, and they chunk alot more often because they hit the boards/pipes...

If you take the tires out of the equation, it helps for things to be a little less overwhelming, helping to keep them in the game longer.

This really is played out subject. If you like running FOAMS on asphalt, please do so, it makes it fun for you and that is what keeps it a viable hobby. If there are alot of people in your area that feel the same, then thats great, you guys run a class, and have FUN.
yes, that is the point... Thanks for putting it in words that I was missing...

I really like the new ROAR rules, but I reading them as all can compete (at the club level) in the same class at the same time... So really it becomes your choice... On the weights for Rubber vs Foam and 4, 5 and 6 cells.

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #115
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Did you get the point on the new drivers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING
I agree choose your tire and have fun.

Later
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #116
Tech Lord

Yes I Did. Heres my take. If you choose to run foam cause its easier to drive . And you tear them up crashing, then you have made your 1st decision to run rubber instead of foam. Its all learning. I will say this I would tell the in's and out's both ways. And I would recommend Rubber As far as the chunking goes but trial and error is the only teacher in this ,its just like a set up. This thread isnt just about the newbs its about the current seasoned racer to. Witch I believe is just as important. Any how I hope we can all be friends. An arguement ends back to back and a debate ends face to face.
I believe were face to face with equal respects to this thread and our hobby.

Thank's.
............X.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-05-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:01 AM   #117
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

all this talk about foams being cheaper. where can i get the 2 stage wraps for the best price.the going rate is $35 for a set of 4
gonzo416 is offline   Reply With Quote