R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #91
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Speedxl that zero's in closer than cost. Bullseye.

X
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #92
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Whats the difference between a Hard compound spec foam., and a Spec Rubber tires, other then being harder to tech....

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjonah
If a race program which had everyone run a spec foam tire, that was very hard( made primarily for long life and durability) and that came pre trued to some set size like 58mm, might solve some of the issues discussed in this thread.

While a hard compound would be slower everyone would be equally effected.

The combo of brushless and lipo cells has the potential of lowering long term costs and maintainence, if we could bring tires into the equation I can see it really helping the sport.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #93
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Speedxl that zero's in closer than cost. Bullseye.

X
X, it has been a huge help to our series. If your an independant racer, tires arent a factor for getting beat.

Try rubber tires and set the car up correctly you will be surprized how long the tires will last. One thing us Florida guys have rubber tires figured out!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i dont think rubber on asphalt would be a prob is you didnt have people using mutilple sets on a club race weekend

also do not think is makes sense because then when people go to a big outdoor race it is rubber tire

i would like to see many clubs in the same area say jersey eastern pa for example use the same spec tires the rp30 for example and have a one set per club race weekend rule, simple tech with a mark before racing starts, if a wheel breaks you bring it to tech for inspection and are allowed to use one new tire

i think the people that change rubber tires every round are the same that would start with a foam at 57mm anyway so back to square one again

when a track hosts a big event then you can still use a spec tire but no tire limit for the day/weekend

once again we are our own worst enemy i have seen guys use 3 brand new sets of tires at a club race and lets be honest for joe average racer it does not matter after you hit board, or stick it in a corner your brand new tire advantage is over, i think there are very few people that can benifit from a new tire every round at most club races . . .

just my 2 cents . . .HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #95
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris08527
i dont think rubber on asphalt would be a prob is you didnt have people using mutilple sets on a club race weekend

also do not think is makes sense because then when people go to a big outdoor race it is rubber tire

i would like to see many clubs in the same area say jersey eastern pa for example use the same spec tires the rp30 for example and have a one set per club race weekend rule, simple tech with a mark before racing starts, if a wheel breaks you bring it to tech for inspection and are allowed to use one new tire

i think the people that change rubber tires every round are the same that would start with a foam at 57mm anyway so back to square one again

when a track hosts a big event then you can still use a spec tire but no tire limit for the day/weekend

once again we are our own worst enemy i have seen guys use 3 brand new sets of tires at a club race and lets be honest for joe average racer it does not matter after you hit board, or stick it in a corner your brand new tire advantage is over, i think there are very few people that can benifit from a new tire every round at most club races . . .

just my 2 cents . . .HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
You are right but the really sad thing is it is not nevessary to run new tires all the time. With what we know about traction compounds and tire warmers you can get old tires to go pretty damn fast. In the last 2 years we have cut the times old tires fall off in half or more. Sure a tire on its 6th run may be 2/10ths slower than a new tire but new tires are usless if you have a bent hing pin, a blown out shock, the wrong setup, whack the inside of a cornerevery other lap, etc.

75% of the cars I see racing are rolling disaster areas but the owners still run new tires all the time, have 2 Turbo 35 GFX's, 6 stock motors and complain about how expensive racing is.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #96
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

they only arguement I would make is that when I use 1 run rubber tires at big races I put them in zip lock bags when Im done and then run them at the club races. It's common for me to get 5 or 6 sets of tires a week or two before the big race that way I have them if I need them. RP30's have worked on every track that I have run on so it makes it easy...I know they will be used. Also puts me in a postition to help a teammate or friend out if they need a set of tires.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #97
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
You are right but the really sad thing is it is not nevessary to run new tires all the time. With what we know about traction compounds and tire warmers you can get old tires to go pretty damn fast. In the last 2 years we have cut the times old tires fall off in half or more. Sure a tire on its 6th run may be 2/10ths slower than a new tire but new tires are usless if you have a bent hing pin, a blown out shock, the wrong setup, whack the inside of a cornerevery other lap, etc.

75% of the cars I see racing are rolling disaster areas but the owners still run new tires all the time, have 2 Turbo 35 GFX's, 6 stock motors and complain about how expensive racing is.

AMEN!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #98
Tech Lord

Actually speedxl I dont worry at all about getting beat, but this summer I am going to utilize this info I may write it down in a more condensed form. We just dont have many out door electric guys any more and I think this thread can help. Rubber vs foam. We used to run foam and rubber and when they quit foam It killed it for me. Now we dont have 1 out door electic guy left. But in doors were rock'n. Year round. I guess I should have joined the rubber wagon maybe that would have helped.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #99
Tech Lord

Tim potter I think he means a solid threw and threw rubber tire no insert. Based on a foam tire. Still the debate is why no foam racing? Witch is really better?

X

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-01-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #100
Tech Lord

Hoestly I dont think I could pick a winner just personal preference is the way I see it.

X
Old 01-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #101
Tech Lord

I tell ya one thing for sure speedxl ended the arguement and or debate when it comes to speck tires I'm sold on that theory, and I think that could be utilized on foams to. Good job on that speedxl. I'm writing that post down noone can cry on that one.
Post 89

X

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-01-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #102
Tech Champion

I always though foam on asphalt was way easier. i never had the tire wear issues that some guys here are claiming. I definitely have had more problems with rubber, but they are more prone to overheating and are more temp sensitive ( I realize that may be my driving or setup, thanks). They are also cheaper by almost 50% ($20 a set vs. $32-36)

Granted, the new guy will chunk tires and need to find,borrow, buy etc a truer. And you do actually have to adjust the car once in a while (droop etc). However, if you can't be bothered to do this, you will not be fast anyway, rubber or foam. You have to look after the cars, period.

Some people also may not want the fad to catch on.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #103
Tech Lord

I see foam as being more the favorite, just not the norm, If we took a vote it would be cool to see the results maybe that could be a whole other thread.
I like foam better. And as far as rubber I dont see why we couldnt use 2 or three different speck tires. I ran 28-30 sorex 3years ago in the heart of america. Came in late sun. Last qualifier With a fk04 box stock. And T/Q'ed the stock class. Stock was the only electric class. That car was dialed.
The mains got rained out and that was the last time I put rubber on the asphalt. And if I could run foam again I would. This summer we'll see what happens. I'll probably run dirt buggy.

X
Old 01-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #104
Tech Champion

Another plus for foam tires : No gluing
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #105
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Sorry I just do not see it.. Rubber is the way to go... It seems that so many are looking for a way to slow down TC so the newbie has an entry point, foams will only add to the speed and confussion for the newbie.. Rubber may be a bit slower (less traction), but this is not a bad thing. As far as the car setup, this will take the newbie out of the picture and not allow them to spend the needed time on the track learning to drive. They will send a lot of time trying to figure out the changing setup.

One way to hold down the cost on the rubber, is to make it a rule, you must run the last heat and mains with the same set... You also should do this with foam, from my personal view.

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote