R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-01-2007, 12:21 AM   #46
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbear
In New Zealand we have raced foam tires at all levels for many years now in electric outdoors.
I have done some big rubber tire races overseas and I can honestly say that foam tires are faster, cheaper and last alot longer.
It is also so much easier as you only have a few compounds to realistically choose from, you don't have to worry about inserts etc.
I can see where Rick is coming from on carpet but outdoors it is a different story.
I run the tire from about 62mm down to about 57 or 58mm and then use them at our indoor racing. So I can sometimes get maybe 15-20 runs out of one set of tires, depending on the compound. (you must note that traction additives is not allowed at any level of competition here in New Zealand)

I honestly cannot understand why it is not done in more places around the world.
I actually think what your meaning is that at Albany its better to run foams.... I do agree that foam is faster etc etc but it costs wayyy more and you need a tyre truer. Thats why I can't be bothered racing up north anymore cause you have to bring so many tyres and a tyre truer with you and it costs so much.

So thats why I go to Aussie to race where the rules are control tyres and when I get on the plane all I have to bring is one practice set of the nominated tyre!!!!!

New Zealand is stuck in the dark ages foam tyres/ 12 turn motors. When I tell anyone else what our rules are they literally laugh!!!!!!

Mike

Last edited by ixlr8nz; 01-01-2007 at 12:31 AM.
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:36 AM   #47
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

We use'd to run foam out doors. Start them at 64mm run'm to 57mm and your ready for indoor racing. I found dont dope the tires and they will wear better and pick up less dust, we ran foam and rubber together. Back and forth wins.

X
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:55 AM   #48
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

Think yourselves lucky, if I want to race carpet I need rubber tyres as well. .......... Only in Australia

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:33 AM   #49
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default tyres

I just ran the sydney gp here in AUS.
I was running foam but virtually 95% of people were running rubber.
In the finals the guys that had new rubber were about the same as foam but about the 3.0 minute mark rubber was going off and the foam was slightly faster.Come to final 2 if the rubber guys didnt put on a new set they were slow and had no hope to win.The guys that run rubbers spent around $200+
where i spent $ 90 bucks thats the difference rubber is just to expensive and they do weird stuff at times.They need to make rubber CHEAPER so we could run more.
Everyone that is not happy about changing setups due to tyre wear are just lazy.If rubbers are the way to go lets get rid of foam and lets get some rubber on the nitro toures all the time i think that would finish nitro toures because the cars would be so slow and so crap to drive.Thats another reason why rubbers are not as good,you just have to drive like a big girl so they dont over heat and go off.
At the end of the day here in AUS looks like we are stuck with rubbers at the moment i just hope they can make the rubbers a little cheaper so the average racer can afford to put on new tyres every few runs.
NOOB-SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:16 AM   #50
Tech Lord

A rubber tire through and through would be good, no insert.
Rubber has the potential to be cheaper at the cost of lap time's.
Foam doesnt get exspensive till there to short or when you have to true them straight out of the box.
I'm stiking with foam till I see a rubber tire made after a foam tire.
I'm sure somday It could happen the cost would be the factor, It would be good for gas racing.

X
Old 01-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

A tire lathe is a 1 time investment. I have had mine for about 4 years now. Still works and looks like new. Also, why do you feel that you "NEED" to buy one? Nobody at the track will let you borrow theirs or cut a set of tires for you?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #52
Tech Lord

One of the pro's at our track donated a integy lathe (tire truer).
And its there 24-7 We all chip in and help new racers learn how to use it.

X
Old 01-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #53
Tech Champion

It's time to legalize FOAM tires for club or open class level.

For official / national level, then stick to ROAR or EFRA rules.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #54
Tech Lord

I tell ya out doors it didnt seem to matter a whole lot, I mean we could mix the 2.
Carpet is different.
Out doors you could get your moneys worth running them down to an indoor carpet size, talk about lasting.
Sure wish we could still do that but they changed the darn rules and it killed out door electric for me.

X
Old 01-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #55
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim
We have started to run mod Electric TC's w/ foam tires here in South Florida since 4/2006. Its been great. We run "Enneti" tires, 37SH, and we get 6-8 good runs out of them. They only chunk if you abuse them- just drive carefully and try not to hit walls. The grip is great, and they are consistent. You can run them to rim. A set of 4 tires costs us $23, and last us about 2 weekends. Compare this to a set of rubber tires, which run for $35, and last half as long, and are a pain to adjust to track conditions. Once we started to run this class, many people turned on us and began to make fun of us, and claim : "oh, but you're doing it the easy way". We dont pay attention to their comments and just continue to have fun and improve our driving and laptimes. Saved a lot of money while at it, too!!

Not in formal racing, That is not a true comment there. I race electric here in the state series and run rubber. If your running at fast and furious its probly bashing.

So no ""WE"" did not "go" to foam. Plus when we(state races) have raced at fast n furious its been on rubber, 12 scale is the only class to race on foam other then nitro.

I can say I have raced before on foam against the other guys we raced with while they were on rubber , they knew that I was going to test foam they were interested in the results . The difference was almost a full second per lap and consistant from lap one till the last lap. I shredded a full set but it was still half the price of rubber. I would be for foam
Old 01-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #56
Tech Lord

We did pretty much the same test and the weight difference made the difference. Same wieght they were pretty close. No wieght the foams smoked'm.

X
Old 01-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #57
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576

We have been running foam electric on asphalt for years now. It is defiantly the better choice. We do have a preped track, not a parking lot track. However, we are probably going to offer in the open mod class that the guys can run foam or rubber tire.

Tom
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576

At club races (ROAR Calls them Level 1) the race director (the guy putting on the race) had the power to change the rules to suit the needs of the local racers. This mean if you want to run foam all you need to do is talk to the guy putting on the races and get enough guys that want to race foam to run at least one heat.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #59
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you have racers that know what they are doing foams are faster...no doubt. They are also easier to drive for guys that don't know how to setup a sedan. However, once you get a few really serious driver running foam the fun is over. There is just as much detial in setting up a fast foam car as a fast rubber car. Once you true you foam down they get faster too just line on carpet so they only last a couple of runs.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #60
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
No you are right...2 runs is more like it.

There used to be a lot of Foam asphalt racing in NJ near Trinity. We has some guys running our car there that asked for some setups so we ran a few sets of foam to see what was up.

We found tires that were ~57-58 mm were the fastest. They had the best blend of traction and side bite for fast lap times. If you went bigger you lost corner speed. If you went smaller the car would slide and the tires would really get chewed up. The problem is that you could loose .5-1mm in a 5 min run depending on how abrasive and how much traction the track had.

The foam racing in NJ lasted about a year. The racers there decided to go back to rubber.
I can tell you Adrian is 100% correct as I was one of the guys. You can say what you want and argue all you want. If you want to go fast, you have to cut the tires down...we usually started practice around 60 just to get some laps and then after two runs you were around 58. once you got below 56 the car would act goofy.