R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default Brush Manitenance?

Do most of you just replace a brush when the face needs maintenance or do you re-serrate or reface? How do you decide when to reface or replace and how often is it usually?

If you do re-serrate or reface what tool do you suggest to do so with? I was looking at the Fussy Brush .

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I prefer to replace the brushes any time that I cut the comm or anytime
I am servicing the motor. It isn't always necessary but considering that they are not expensive I usually replace them. I always inspect the end of the
brushes to check for discoloration and uneven wear. If the tips are choppy
and there is blue or purple from excessive heat and also if the face looks
black then it is highly recommended to replace them. Obviously if they are
short then they should also be replaced. I like to resurface my race motor and replace the brushes every three races. I run the qualifiers with the same brushes for all three qualifiers and then for the main I rebuild it.
"Gone But Not Forgotten" --- RC10T, RC10T3, RCTc4, XRay007, XXT, XXTcrGraphitePlus, XXXT, XXXTMF, XXXTMF2----
"Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the input. Anyone else?

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

although i find my 767's do have some good power when they are new, once the face has lost serrations and it is seated the the comm the power doesnt drop off too much... i typically just use a fiberglass brush or comm stick to clean off the brush face between cuts and keep using them till they are too short or they burn up...

if you want to do some brush tuning to a used brush its probably easier and just as effective to drill a cavity or cut a slot...
Old 11-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #5
Tech Adept

You can look at it two ways if you are racing competitive racing you should change your brush about every two runs after that the brush lose the pep but if you are just club racing or bashing you can change the brush between 5-7 runs it depend on which brush you use the LEMAN-XXX brush you can run up to 30 runs they say i never count how many runs i did with the leman but i did quite a few runs, next about re-serrating i don't do that any more i think it is just a wast of time doing that and after a few runs the brush is not the same as if it was new even with the re-serrating hope this help my penny worth.
Mutabarucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Another opinion is that once a brush is seated to the comm diameter it is a shame to throw the brush away just because you cut the comm. If done regularly, the cut is minimal. I believe Big Jim's book says after breaking in a motor, simply deglaze the brush and take a minimal cut from the comm. Now you have a smooth comm and a brush that has good contact. If you change the brush, you have to break it in again.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
Tech Elite

I do a light cut of the comm after a few runs, just enough to bring the proper colouring back and stop it getting too burnt, I'll then re-serrate the brush and put it back in, I only replace the brushes if they get burnt, look 'chipped' etc on the face or they reach 8.7mm in length (from the back end of the brush to the end's of the curved section).

At this length, when on 40MHz, not long after reaching this length I would almost always start to get glitching etc.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Between sending in my motors for work, I usually will only clean the brushes, spray/clean out the endbell, and break them in again for about 2 minutes. If the brushes are discolored at all, I replace them, cut the com, break them in for about 5 minutes, and re-skim the com if it got scoared badly during break-in. I wear the brushes flat and beyond. When the serrations are gone, I will usually drill a small hole in the faces. There are a number of things that you can do, but, I think that replacing the brushes all the time leads to unnecessary com wear, and can burn out a 'keeper' of a stock motor prematurely.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Do u drill a hole right in the middle of the brush face?
What diameter?

Also .. when cutting a slot on the brush face, Iím guessing itís cutting it length-wise (same parallel direction as the long edge of the face)?

cheers
Old 11-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There are have been countless experiments with brushes when it comes to cutting them... As far as slots, I have seen them cut either way, even diagonally.. When it comes to drilling holes, a lot of time I am in a hurry and just use the tip of my xacto knife... other times I pull a random drill bit out of the back of my pin vise and drill with that. Slapmaster and a few other companies make a drilling jig if you want to get fancy about it. To be honest, the motor only knows that there is less brush face hitting the copper.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hi guys... I'm sorta new to rebuilding/tinkering with motors, what do you guys use for cleaning/lubing/oiling??? If I can buy stuff from the local hardware it'll save me time and money.

Cheers
Dan
$$$... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

looks like i gotta give cutting the brush face a try

Cleaning
- clean motor by using a motor spray from hobby shops .. or automobile brake cleaners (from Repco/SuperCheap)
- u can also get a "comm stick" to remove the glazing off the brush face and comm in between runs

Lubing - lube the bushing .. thin bearing oil.
Some folks like to use thin automobile oil like Mobil-1
some like to use thin lubricating oils from bicycle shops ...
Old 11-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Z.Hallett

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyl03
some like to use thin lubricating oils from bicycle shops ...
they use that mainly b/c it has a high teflon rating (i.e. very slippery), also it "dries" but it is still a lubricant. it doesnt attract dirt.

-Zac
Z.Hallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:35 PM   #14
Tech Addict

brush maintenance realy IMO depends on what type of brush and spring you run. I have found that it isnt necasary to rebuild a motor after 3 to 4 runs when using F brushes and red springs on the + and -. he break in and buid is critical to what type of maintenance you will have to do and how long your brushes will last. When I build or rebuild a motor all I do is put a slot verticly on each brush put some comm lube Tribo or zubaks on the face of each brush then lightly oil the bushings and break it in @2 volts for 15 min. By doing this I have been able to run a set of brushes for 12+ runs without any noticable drop in performance in fact I have seen gains after 4 to 5 runs. For maintenance All I do is after 3 runs I check the brushes for wear and that the comm is wearing the brush face evenly this would indicate if the hood is in proper alignment with the comm then I clean the motor with motor spray and using a comm stick clean the comm and brushes so they are shiny but also pay attention to the hood making sure anywhere the brush contacts the hood is clean as well then I put a drop of comm lube on each brush and lightly oil the bushings and run @2volts for 2 min and then it's ready to race ...
Now with 767 or 4499's I would still replace after 4 to 5 runs I have noticed a difference in performance with both and have always got more from a fresh rebuild with them.
I have not yet to try the lemans xxx brushes so I wouldnt know where to start with those..
Jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote