R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default Measuring Setup Around Suspension Slop?

I just picked up a Hudy All-In-1 setup system. Using it for the first time I'm noticing quite a bit of slop between the suspension and the setup system. This seems to give the setup measurements about a degree or so of variance in some areas. How do you combat this?

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Replace worn parts.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

This was on a T2 007 that's only 2 race days old.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
Old 11-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Are you saying there is a slop in the fit of the Hudy tools on the car itself (wheel hexes), or is it slop in the actual car components?

If there is slop in the car, I always check for faults and/or shim to compensate. If there is a slop between the hexes and the setup system I don't suppose there is much you can do about it. (Personally speaking I always set the car up with the wheels on and using gauges, I think the "systems" where the car is up in the air are overrated).
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would say, within a half a degree, you should be fine as long as you can do it the same way each time. I was not trying to be rude at all with my previous post, but I could see that it could be taken that way. If so, I appoligize.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
I would say, within a half a degree, you should be fine as long as you can do it the same way each time. I was not trying to be rude at all with my previous post, but I could see that it could be taken that way. If so, I appoligize.
No offense taken. I appreciate your help.

Where I've noticed the most play is in the steering. Particularly the left to right play when holding the steering turnbuckles between your fingers. This seems to make setting the toe somewhat of a guessing game. I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill here. Just trying to gauge what amount of play everyone else has in their car. Next time I'm at the track I'll be sure to check what amount of play everyone else has in their cars.

Is everyone's suspension tight without much play?

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
Old 11-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan
I just picked up a Hudy All-In-1 setup system. Using it for the first time I'm noticing quite a bit of slop between the suspension and the setup system. This seems to give the setup measurements about a degree or so of variance in some areas. How do you combat this?
do it so your happy with the results ,there`s not a car out there with no `play` in sus or steering parts
they need play to be free other wise they will bind up hear & there

also a car with `slop` is a easy car to drive aswell, very noticable when you are getting older & slower in the reaction department
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i agree with the earlyer post, all cars have a little play, you dont want things to bind, being free is more important, the best thing i have found is use a small rubber band just under the ball cups from steering to steering knuckel or any where yo want to remove some play between the ball cups.
another trick is take a plastic bag and but the bag over the ball and put the cup back on the trim plastic away, this works great to remove excessive cup play!
i hope these suggestions help the play problem.
most import is that all settings are the same right/ left,
jakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can use small o-rings such as in the GS shock rebuilding kit. They will remove most of the excess play while letting the parts still move freely.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS
Impulse_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #10
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
This was on a T2 007 that's only 2 race days old.
well there is your reason for the slop
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
No offense taken. I appreciate your help.

Where I've noticed the most play is in the steering. Particularly the left to right play when holding the steering turnbuckles between your fingers. This seems to make setting the toe somewhat of a guessing game. I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill here. Just trying to gauge what amount of play everyone else has in their car. Next time I'm at the track I'll be sure to check what amount of play everyone else has in their cars.

Is everyone's suspension tight without much play?
with a setup station setting toe, just tap the front and rear shock towers so the shocks "move" and "settle" this would be your idle car position, then check the toe with the bar... just lightly tap the bar to its readout position or you could move the slop to the left or right causing a bad readout... you want to set the toe so that it's at your desired angle, then adjust the bellcrank or links so that the slop you have is symmetrical about the toe setting you want...
Old 11-14-2006, 10:03 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

it`s allright xray will have a 5 cell car out next week & they proberly sort the slop out on that one
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:13 AM   #13
Tech Adept

The tolerances on the Xray make for very little slop.. and what is there in the steering is needed or the car wouldn't track straight on the straightaway.

When I set toe on the setup station, I do it with the car on and I wiggle the steering back and forth and let it settle but there will still be .25 to .5 degree of movement in the linkage.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

I have heard 'round the pit up to +/- .75 degrees of steering slop is normal. My TB-02 shows +/- 1 degree of steering slop after quite a bit of rookie driving (or should I say "crashing").

Katsu
cyber3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:11 AM   #15
Tech Regular

i get the same thing on my t2 about .45 - .5 of slop all i do is with the camber and toe gauges on tap the toe gauge a little so the reading goes to it's furthest point and match both sides. I've always noticed this with what ever car i was using be it a tamiya, serpent, mugen OR x-ray!! as a few people have already said it's needed to help it run straight etc As you've only run your car twice take note of how much slop there is now and if it gets any worse you know it's time to change ball studs.
Boosta is offline   Reply With Quote