Old 10-30-2003, 02:41 PM   #91
Tech Regular

fat doggy if you didnt say it i wouldve

Evo_Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:42 PM   #92
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Ah well I just finished with my Demon drivetrain...14 sec spin time rubber tires, 9 sec with foams (which i normally race with). That's with regular bearings. BUT I did use Warpspeed Diff cases, those help a lot
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:51 PM   #93
Tech Regular

i cant find that video of the drive train, where is it?
Evo_Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:08 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Ops, I saw it in the "Free spinning drivetrain" thread, sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Intermision
Here is a video of someones tc3 spinning for a kong time I don't know whose it is though.
clicky
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:30 PM   #95
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I made that video and the TC3 is mine. It does spin for 17 seconds with rubber tires and a good yank. It spins for about 14 seconds with foams. The drive train is pretty stock with the original carbon center shaft, composite dogbones on all corners and original rubber sealed bearings. I did the usual scraping of the diff cases, removed the interior seals of all bearings. I paid special treatment to the bearings themselves, removing both seals, dipping them in mineral spirits and blasting them with a pressure steamer I have to blast every bit of dirt and old grease or oil out of them with 240 degree steam at around 20 psi using a RPM bearing blaster. I put back one seal and one small drop of 5W30 synthetic Mobil1 oil. I put everything back together and was careful not to put to much torque on the screws that hold every drive train parts to the chassis.

NOW!!! This took the better part of a whole day to do. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this time would have been better spent at the track practicing because a free drive train won't make you a better racer. If anyone wants to do it 'cause they think it's cool, than by all means, do it If you think it's useless and want to practice instead, then that option should be more usefull to you to lower your lap times. Anyway, the more you practice, the more your drive train parts will wear into each other and the more free it will become. So it's like killing two birds with one stone basically.

Have fun at the track

Last edited by mistercrash; 10-31-2003 at 05:56 AM.
mistercrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 04:49 AM   #96
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
WTF is your problem? not possible, go DL the video that was posted earler, 17seconds. Just cause you can't make a drive train spin for over 2-3 seconds dosn't mean others can't.
ditto fatdoggy
Motorsports00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:38 AM   #97
Tech Master

it doesnt matter how long ur drive train runs for its the resistance ur looking for.
my drive train in my evo3 has acer bearings and i use optimolly grease which is the best
and yet mine only speens for 3-4 secs.
but i piss over everyone out of corners.
the most likely cause for high spin time is
heavey drive components.
with lighter components it spins less but has more acceleration,top speed and you can brake later due to less rotational mass.
with heavyer components u have less acceleration,top speed and have to brake earlier.also less effeciant.ull only win the longest run time for drive trains.
not much good on the track.
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 10:30 PM   #98
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01
Default Re: How free is your drivetrain?

Quote:
Originally posted by seaball
prompted by john stranahan's recent post in the tc3 assembly tips thread, i was wondering how long your race ready car drivetrain will spin with your pinion off? nothing crazy here, just by pushing the tires. i've seen some shaft cars roll and actually have the spur settle back in. as for the belt variety, i've played with some pros cars and have not been impressed. i've also heard of accounts of some losi's and xray's spinning for 5 to 10 seconds. but i'm looking for facts here. not the shaft vs. belt discussion. just a poll of sorts to gather some data. thanks.
Not free enough .
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 10:52 PM   #99
Tech Adept

trf racer man after my own heart. He could'nt have said it better period.
akrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:04 AM   #100
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by mistercrash
I made that video and the TC3 is mine. It does spin for 17 seconds with rubber tires and a good yank. It spins for about 14 seconds with foams. The drive train is pretty stock with the original carbon center shaft, composite dogbones on all corners and original rubber sealed bearings. I did the usual scraping of the diff cases, removed the interior seals of all bearings. I paid special treatment to the bearings themselves, removing both seals, dipping them in mineral spirits and blasting them with a pressure steamer I have to blast every bit of dirt and old grease or oil out of them with 240 degree steam at around 20 psi using a RPM bearing blaster. I put back one seal and one small drop of 5W30 synthetic Mobil1 oil. I put everything back together and was careful not to put to much torque on the screws that hold every drive train parts to the chassis.

NOW!!! This took the better part of a whole day to do. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this time would have been better spent at the track practicing because a free drive train won't make you a better racer. If anyone wants to do it 'cause they think it's cool, than by all means, do it If you think it's useless and want to practice instead, then that option should be more usefull to you to lower your lap times. Anyway, the more you practice, the more your drive train parts will wear into each other and the more free it will become. So it's like killing two birds with one stone basically.

Have fun at the track
Mister, the shaft systems do roll more.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:22 AM   #101
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Yokomo SD drives

Any advice on making the Yokomo SD's drivetrain better?
danjoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:54 AM   #102
Tech Elite

If you're asking me, not real sure as I haven't owned one but I can tell you the greater mesh you have in the pinion/ring the better acelleration but it may slow itself down the faster it gets, what's that perfect mesh?
Old 11-02-2003, 04:43 AM   #103
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by akrcracer
trf racer man after my own heart. He could'nt have said it better period.
thanks just stating the facts.
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 04:45 AM   #104
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by proudwinner
Mister, the shaft systems do roll more.
I know the shaft system has more free rolling capabilities. I just explained briefly how I made it roll a bit more and my opinion on the whole process.
mistercrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 03:40 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Right and I'm just agreeing with you to express my belief that shaft systems roll more than belts-it's a fact, sorry if stepped on anything.