R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-11-2003, 08:48 AM   #76
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Doug Gaut

What is the life on the ceramic bearings? Seems like alot of money to spend for bearings.
Doug Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 02:01 PM   #77
Tech Regular

i own a TB evo2, only been run a few times still, but my drive trin is VERY tight.... wheels dont even keep spinning espectially in the one way... is this because it need to be " broken in"?? will it free up???
thanks
will
Motorsports00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 03:07 PM   #78
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

no, i bet you have something binding. the oneway should spin at the very least, a few rotations after you let go. i wouldn't run it like that. you may burn a motor. run it with a junk motor if you do. or just on the bench with a dremel or something. a good thing is to re-assemble it and check it at each step to find the trouble spot(s).
Old 10-28-2003, 03:40 PM   #79
Tech Master

Default site with info

I found this site once and this guy has done alot of work to have alot of information available. Especially the info about the TC3.

URL=http://www.ultimewebtechnologie.net/raymond0864/raymond0864/]Mister Crash[/URL]

As for my opinon about freewheeling, It all depends on you as a driver and the particular car you chose. Freewheeling doesnt really mean less friction or lighter drivetrain it just means your heavy crappy drivetrain has little friction and can spin for a long time. My Idea is to just buy the lightest components possible, assemble them with the most precision and care that I can, and fight friction wherever possible. 90 percent of the time I see drivers spending alot of time trying to figure out parts and setups and talking alot and practicing very little.
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:29 PM   #80
Tech Regular

by VERY tight i mean it will spin about 1.5 times in the front end. it has only been run very few times - like brand new still.. will it free up?? will lube in one way help?? which one??
thanks
will
Motorsports00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 07:01 PM   #81
Tech Addict

I drive a schumacher mission, and when I spin my tranny with my wheels on the car, they will make 15-20 revolutions before they stop... my drive is really really free... its gota be that way!

Make sure your bearings are free... make sure your belts are too tight, make sure you havent over tightened any of your tranny or deck screws. Its usually a good idea to get every scew in before you start to snug them down.

There are many tricks...
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:24 AM   #82
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200
Default Re: One last frontier...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightbreed
I was glad to see RC companies design better lighter drive components like plastic outdrives and alum/plastic cvds. All has been done except for a hard titanium wheel axles. There must be a demand before someone will introduce them to the market. Heck I would pay more to get a titanium axle like the steel ones.
They would make a difference.

Has anyone ever tried cermaic bearings from Boca? According to the add there are lighter, wear resistant, much less friction, they can take higher loads and are they crosion resistant. Seems like the way to go all around.
Hum, square makes them since quite a lot of time. And tamiya just introduced them for the Evo 3 / 414 series.

As for ceramic bearings, I didn't tried Boca ones, but have Acer ones in my 414 and they rocks ! Very free, little play, less sensitive to charge (the rings seems to be a little thicker so there is less strain under stress). And I also have ceramic balls in my 414's diffs.

For me, what is most important is not the free wheel, but the friction you get when the drive train is under charge. And to measure that, you have to be able to apply a resistant torque (a similar one on each wheel otherwise it won't work) and measure the loss in power, including the efficiency of the motor. I'm not sure the shaft cars would win.

Anyway, a good tip to free the drive train is re-drill the bearing holes all over the car. You must be able to remove them easily (which is definitely not the case on most cars).
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:03 AM   #83
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: One last frontier...

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra81li200
And tamiya just introduced them for the Evo 3 / 414 series.
Yup they sure did. Quite a few things I need to get when I'm there

Item 53681 Titanium Wheel Axle for Assembly Universal Shaft

Yum...more Ti
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:46 AM   #84
Tech Regular

I own an Evo 3 S, I ve flushed out all the bearings and applyed a drop of royal oil inn al and half sealed them, sealing the revealed edge of all the bearings. i can only seem to get about 12 seconds max of spinning from my car, and tips anyone?????

I showed the club champ and he was like ur car is so much free'er then mine, i was like huh? how? and he said "well i dont really mind how free my car is but i do check the resistance on the drive train underload." then he went on to tell me that a free drive train cant be that important if his PB is 1 second of the stock record at our club with a stock beating alot of the 19t times.

Tarnjit

PS : i like a free drive train though, makes you look cool any tips aprietaited
Evo_Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 12:21 PM   #85
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Evo_Uk
i can only seem to get about 12 seconds max of spinning from my car, and tips anyone?????
What the HELL are you talking about? 12 seconds? dude... unless you have like 10 pounds of rotational mass, that is impossible.

How long the train spins in freewheel is irrelivant. If you have 0 rotational mass, it will spin freely, but wont freewheel very long at all because there is no inertia keeping the train moving. The more rotational mass, the more inertia is created when you apply force to the train.

So if your train spins for 12 seconds, you must be spinning it really hard, and must have bowling balls attached to your wheels
Old 10-30-2003, 12:24 PM   #86
Tech Regular

guess i dont know mine own stregth

but how come like someone said earlier a 414 spinning for 15seconds plus with the push of a finger!?!?

Tarnj
Evo_Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:18 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by holycow
What the HELL are you talking about? 12 seconds? dude... unless you have like 10 pounds of rotational mass, that is impossible.

How long the train spins in freewheel is irrelivant. If you have 0 rotational mass, it will spin freely, but wont freewheel very long at all because there is no inertia keeping the train moving. The more rotational mass, the more inertia is created when you apply force to the train.

So if your train spins for 12 seconds, you must be spinning it really hard, and must have bowling balls attached to your wheels
Hey bud, I know you mean well, but don't sound so arrogant. Yes, 12 seconds is possible. At one point I had a drivetrain that spun for more than 20 seconds and that is WITH every conceviable lightweight option available to the driveline (with the exception of ti axels) so intertia wasn't too much a factor. At the same time, you can blow on the spur and the drivetrain spins up.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:22 PM   #88
Tech Addict

You guys are all crazy. I have seen tons and tons and tons and tons (you get the idea) of people spin their own drive trains, as well as as the hand fulls of cars I have owned.. and that is just not possible. Next time you spin your tranny... do it against a timer. I bet its more like 2-3 seconds.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:47 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Did somebody say bet? Just believe man...it's all good.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:28 PM   #90
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by holycow
You guys are all crazy. I have seen tons and tons and tons and tons (you get the idea) of people spin their own drive trains, as well as as the hand fulls of cars I have owned.. and that is just not possible. Next time you spin your tranny... do it against a timer. I bet its more like 2-3 seconds.
WTF is your problem? not possible, go DL the video that was posted earler, 17seconds. Just cause you can't make a drive train spin for over 2-3 seconds dosn't mean others can't.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote