R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-13-2006, 05:36 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default The RS Spyder

Hi everyone!
I've been browsing this place for some time now and came across some very nice custom made cars and parts and other stuff...really great things. I've seen some threads about making custom bodys but never one of these got to the finished product (or showed it here when it was finished). I hope i will do better with this.

So today i post my current project...

Fully custom made 1/10th scale RS Spyder from the ALMS 2006
-carbon fiber / kevlar body-panels
-carbon fiber / kevlar monocoque
-full suspension
-electric powered
-2wd

I will update this post regularly as the project progresses.
Tell me what you think. Whats good? Whats wrong? What could be done better?

1. Production of the basic mold. Cutting the basic model from foam, adding resin and then sanding and sanding and sanding...putting on some colour to see where more sanding is needed...days of sanding!
Attached Thumbnails
The RS Spyder-pict4471-800600.jpg   The RS Spyder-pict4539-800600.jpg  

Last edited by spyderdave; 11-13-2006 at 05:57 AM.
spyderdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
Tech Regular

that body mold reminds me of Speed Racers MACH 5. i can't wait to see the final product
TENCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

2. Clear-coating the model, applying wax and polishing it, applying PVA to prepare the model for making the molds. The molds are made from aluminium-gelcoat, resin and glass cloth. This makes for some really resistant and strong molds which can be used for many bodypanels without breaking.
Instead of making one full mold of the complete model i decided to make one for the front of the car, one for the cockpit-area and one for the bonnet. Pulling smaller parts off the molds is a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails
The RS Spyder-pict4572.jpg   The RS Spyder-pict4576.jpg   The RS Spyder-pict4654.jpg   The RS Spyder-pict4656.jpg  
Old 11-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

THis is a VERY VERY cool post!!

Seeing as I have no idea how to formally apporach a project like this, I was talking to an ID friend about it. Pretty much the exact same steps as you've done here...

Keep the pics coming!

Q's:
How did you make sure the foam was symetrical? Or was it done by eye?
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

3. Finished the molds for the cockpit-area and the bonnet. Preparing the mold for the nose of the car for the laminate...again wax, polishing and PVA. Applying clear gelcoat as the first layer of the laminate to get a nice surface for the finished part without bubbles. Cutting the first layer of carbonfiber to the exact shape of the mold to achieve a nice look of the finished part and to avoid bubbles. The rest of the lay-up is done with simple stripes and bigger cut-to-fit patches of carbonfiber. There is a minimum of 3 layers of carbonfiber (180g/m2) all over the part. Some more stressed areas get 4 layers. The nose also gets a layer of carbon/kevlar mixed cloth. This stuff is amazing. You just can't cut it, believe me. I had to buy special scissors. It should give the finished part that extra bit of resistance...although the carbonfibre itself is extremely strong already.
The lay-up for the front bodypanel took some time...2 hours+...not including mixing the gelcoat, resin, wax and PVA. I tried to put the carbonfibre as exact and symmetrical into the mold as possible to avoid inner torsions while hardening because a deformation of the finished part would be the result.

@ AngryAsian: to achieve a symmetrical model i photoshopped some pics of the real Porsche RS Spyder to the size i needed. (top-view, front-view, side-views) Printed and glued to strong cardboard they were cut out along the most significant "lines" and attached to the block of foam to help and find the right dimensions. This made for an almost perfectly symmetrical model.
Attached Thumbnails
The RS Spyder-pict4660.jpg   The RS Spyder-pict4661.jpg   The RS Spyder-pict4663.jpg   The RS Spyder-pict4664.jpg   The RS Spyder-pict4665.jpg  

Last edited by spyderdave; 11-15-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
Tech Adept

This is a really intresting project. Please continue posting here how it is evolving.

What type/brand of foam did you use and what resin did you put on top of it?
moonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

4. finally time to see some results after all the hours of sanding and messing with chemicals and fibres. first i made some finishing touches to the other two molds....trimming the edges etc.
then i pulled the first body-panel out of the mold. and the result is very satisfying. every time i finish a new carbonfibre part i'm fascinated how stiff and strong this stuff can be. it really is hard work to pull it off, always paying attention not to crack any of the parts by pulling too hard. and despite beeing extremely stiff it is VERY low weight. only the edges need a little trimming of course.

@ moonman: For the core of the base model i used a block of a special foam called Styrodur. That is a special type of polystyrene which is much finer than the stuff you find in the packaging of electronic articles for example. It is also much harder and therefore better to work on with a file. I used some epoxy-based, white top-layer gelcoat from r-g.de in Germany. But that is where the real work starts. After the gelcoat hardens you realize how much sanding you have ahead of you to get a nice surface. But for future models i would not use this gelcoat again. it is just too hard for sanding. also it is not enough to apply gelcoat, sand it down and everything is fine. i had to repeat these steps again and again because i always found some holes and mistakes in the surface. quite annoying! ok, you get a real hard and resistant model to make the molds, but something a bit softer and easier to handle would also do the job.
Attached Thumbnails
The RS Spyder-pict4807.jpg   The RS Spyder-pict4815.jpg   The RS Spyder-pict4819.jpg  
Old 11-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
Tech Champion

did you apply the gel coat directly to the foam? if so, for a good mould finsih you'd be better off sheathing the foam first with epoxy/glass, and then gel-coating.

I'll agree. I work with carbon fibre and epoxies for my job (Composite processing engineer), completely fascinated by them

Quick plug.... you should consider Gurit/SP products in future, we make stuff specifically for mould tools as well (see Gurit link in sig).

Anyway, good project you've got going on here, watching with interest
Old 11-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

5. more results. pulled off the middle-section and the bonnet and another nose-section. the middle-section part received some sandwich -reinforcements as i added some balsa wood in between two layers in the side-pod area. worked out really well and is extremely stiff although it has less layers than the other parts. the second nose-section got a little too much clear gelcoat in the air-intake area. but doesn't matter as it will be painted some day. also started trimming the edges of all parts. cut out the headlights. i built special "masks" to put on the fenders while marking the area to cut away. with these masks i will always be able to cut out the same area for the headlights on a new nose-section. this way, the headlight covers will fit on each new nose-part. also made a "prototype" of a headlight cover. it is made out of clear (of course) polycarbonate...heated up and pressed into the mould, then cut out. looks quite nice, but still far from perfect.

@ TryHard: first, nice to get feedback from a professional.
yes, i applied some epoxy/glass to a small part of the foam-core (on top of the body, the flat area right next to the cockpit) but thought it wasn't necessary to apply it elsewhere. i was afraid it could change the shape of the model too much because when i made the core, i did not calculate the thickness of an additional layer of glass. i will try it with the next model, that's for sure. but even without this additional layer the result is quite nice...at least for my standarts. :-)
also visited gurit.com. some nice stuff there! but it looks like they only sell to the industry, right? not the smaller quantities i need.
Attached Thumbnails
The RS Spyder-pict4698-1.jpg   The RS Spyder-pict4811.jpg  
Old 11-17-2006, 08:48 PM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

question from a total newb... how much heat is required to melt polycarbonate to the right consistency to be molded?
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:23 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderdave
also visited gurit.com. some nice stuff there! but it looks like they only sell to the industry, right? not the smaller quantities i need.
Nope, do sell in small quantities too. I'll try and find out details of the US distributor for you.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

started to shape model for the monocoque. but not much to see yet. also trimmed the body-panels.

@ rcnewb2004: actually, i'm not sure if it is really polcarbonate that i used for the headlight covers. just some clear plastic (1.5mm). i did not "melt" it, just heated it up till it got soft. i could still touch it with bare hands...although it was really hot. i used some kind of big hairdryer...these things you use to remove stickers or paint, for example.

@ TryHard: thanks for that! but since i'm from germany, could you find out details of the german distributor?
Old 11-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
Tech Champion

haha... will do. I have a feeling it may be a company called CTM, I'll check tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
Tech Master

Beautiful...!

Pics of the finish product,please....
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:56 AM   #15
Tech Champion

German Distributor for Gurit/SP products
http://www.ctmat.de/

HiH
Ed