R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2001, 08:38 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Question for the European members

I can't remember where I saw the picture, I believe it was in the reports from the last European touring car championships, it was som pictures of Corally's pit area. The pics showed the then new C4.1 car, but what really intrigued me was a small motor zapper they had with them. Instead of electrical power, the unit used permanent iron boron magnets to do the job.

I've been told that many of the top European teams have these units, and that they're made in Japan. Trinity sells what appears to be the identical thing here in the States, but they get $1200 for it, and unless I'm way wrong, the only difference between theirs and the ones I saw in the Euros pictures was some blue anodizing and Trinity stickers.

I was wondering if anyone from Europe might know a source for one of these zappers and what price they go for.

Thanks in advance,

Trips
Old 11-11-2001, 01:58 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

I have talked to Oscar Jansen about this zapper at the European Off-road championship last year. The one ORION uses is made by Sagami and should be available from YOKOMO, but the prize you mentioned is about right.
Our rules dont allow the use of really good magnet materials (rare earth magnets) because of cost reasons, but I believe it would be cheaper to use them, because our motors would last longer and we would not have to think about how to get a magnet zapper.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 02:01 PM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

They use very large magents to bring the smaller magnets back to strength. A company that i know of in the UK that will make them (to order i think) is BRM.

http://www.brm-motor.co.uk/
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 04:14 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Trips, if you can't find what you are looking for check out the Team 1 zapper. It uses a/c to power it but does a heck of a job. It does the job and then some. www.team1rc.com, soon to be available at www.kthobbies.com Just an fyi.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 05:24 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies. THe Team 1 zapper is on my short list, and is probably what I will buy, but I wanted to investigat ethe permanent magnet type unit as well. I'll see if I can turn up any info on the Sagami.

Thanks again,

Trips
Old 11-11-2001, 09:57 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

If you want more info on the sagami I suggest to write Oscar an email, you can find it on the ORION homepage.
Please let us know what he has to say about it
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote