Wiki Posts
Search

Braking...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Braking...

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know how you guys setup your braking on your car. Do you use ESC braking, Remote braking and how much do you setup as your max brake or on neutral brake.

Am I right in saying you can only brake when you have a ball diff or spool in the front?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

no. you can still use brakes if you have a one-way. but it will only aply the brakes to the back tires. very helpful on tight technical tracks. it really depends on what your driving style is and what type of track you are driving on. give me a little more info and i can help.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's a good question. One I was myself asking an experienced racer last week. He said he has his ESC set up with some drag brake. But otherwise no actual application of brake. Its really dependant on the layout of the course, and he said that at the end of the straightaway in some instances he might brake. This is touring car on carpet with foam tires.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Addict

For the average driver I would start with 95% when a running a spool or front diff and down to 70% when running a one way (don't break while turning unless you need a dramatic boost of turn in) to start and go up or down from there.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

brakes....BRAKES!!!....you dun need no stinkin' brakes!

Having said that it is really subjective to your driving style. Some find drag brakes(a percentage of total braking automatically applied when the transmitter is at neutral) helpful. Some don't. Drag brakes will put a kink into your goal of acheiving higher corner speeds as your driving skills get better. You should have some braking so you can "check up" to keep from rear ending someone who is not quite as fast as you are entering a turn or other situation where it would be frowned upon to drive over someone. 20% initial braking with a frequency equal to your drive frequency is a good place to start. You can increase or degrease either setting depending on your need and how sensitive your trigger finger is. Frequencing on the braking side will let you adjust how smoothly they are applied, just like drive frequency determines how smoothly you can apply the throttle. Lower frequency equals more abrupt, higher frequency more smooth. How much brakeing is probably dependant on what you race. In stock racing, braking is used very sparingly, used more in 19T, absolutly necessary in mod. Again dependant on driving style, track layout, and experience.
Difs and spools are more condusive to using brakes than a oneway. You can lightly brake (key word is lightly) with a one way, but heavy braking will cause some very undesirable effects.
Hope that helps.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Tech Regular

i find i never use brakes in 10th or 12th stock and 12th 19t. i see using brakes ( other than at the end of a very long straight ) as a way of covering up poor driving ability and also as a way of covering your mistakes. dont take this the wrong way. i learned to drive with less throttle throw at the begining to teach me proper entry speeds and entry points.

-Zac
Old 11-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You don't need stinkin breaks

I run mod using a low turn motor mostly 7T or 8T I just used drag brake just enough to slow the car down when cornering. I make more mistake when I use break .... And also I use only oneway on my cars so using a break is not really helpfull. Not using break will make you faster but it takes patience and being smooth driver is the key, I'ts all in your throtle finger.

Practice, Practice,Practice, Practice.

P.S

Slow is faster
Old 11-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok then quick question, why when I apply breaks on my RC does the car go into a flat spin or I cannot control the car? Am I doing something wrong?

I think that breaks allow you to go into a turn faster hence making your laps faster not so?

Second question, if breaks are so bad, why do the top 3 drivers in the world use them, I am not trying to sound like a wannabe. I was watching the IFMAR world finals and the commentator kept on saying "oooooo hard braking from Andy".
Old 11-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Most people I admit do not use much brakes most people I will admit do not do a lot of things.

If you watch the pros. in 1:10 TC they use brakes often on smaller and Med. sized tracks and this is the leading cause of most failures not the on throttle but the off. Ask anyone who was at the Reedy race last year and watched Pro/invite so many passes where made due to out braking and many where lost due to brakes fading (yes as things get hotter you notice electronic brake fade.)
Old 11-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nautilian
Ok then quick question, why when I apply breaks on my RC does the car go into a flat spin or I cannot control the car? Am I doing something wrong?
Are you runnig spool? if so you are locking up your rears causing the spin if not you have drive train issues.

I think that breaks allow you to go into a turn faster hence making your laps faster not so?
Sometimes yes , it depends on the arch of the trn and other factors.

Second question, if breaks are so bad, why do the top 3 drivers in the world use them, I am not trying to sound like a wannabe. I was watching the IFMAR world finals and the commentator kept on saying "oooooo hard braking from Andy".
You answered your own question.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Breaking is a good thing. But It depends from driver to driver some like going deep into the corners then hit the break hard by doing this you are lossing a lot of momentum. But for me I like to coast going thru corners co'z you carry much more speed when exiting and you can past cars a lot easier well thats me.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Because most people dont realize how much they actually use the brakes. Here's a test, dial all brakes out of your controller and then make one lap around the track. You will realize how much you actually use them.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Breaking will only slow you down period But thats me.....

Just look at MASAMI HIROSAKA mostly he only uses oneway. I never seen one setup on his car that he used a spool or diff.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
Because most people dont realize how much they actually use the brakes. Here's a test, dial all brakes out of your controller and then make one lap around the track. You will realize how much you actually use them.
Thats why you just set your drag break to slow your car down. This is better rather than hitting the break hard on every corner.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

the only brakes i truely use are the drag brakes on my gtx. thats it, and maybe to dodge someone, it all depends on layout, skill, class run, setup, etc..

-Zac

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.