Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NOVAK U.S. TOURING CAR CHAMPIONSHIPS January 3 - 7

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, motors can have 8 degrees or more advance in them straight out of the case.....we see ones that are retarded as much also....

I had a flat of 19ts straight out of the case untouched at vegas.....and they varied from a -8 to a +10.......from what I was told from Scotty and them, the handout stocks were nearly the same.....with +8 being then norm...

Problem here is, racers who bought a motor straight out of the case untouched by any tuner, may not be allowed to race it....even though they did nothing wrong.

And if anyone wants to bet on it, I will bring an UNOPENED case of motors to a race.....you bring a timing guage and we can measure the whole case and you will see what I am talking about....

Later EddieO
Old 01-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

i actualy found an arm right out of the box that was +12 degrees advanced so i the whole +, - 2 or 3 is really not accurate i have very rarely seen arms now that are in that limit.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Wow, that's too bad. I've got friends that traveled for this race that I'm fairly certain don't have any idea about how to change the timing of a stock motor, and would probably run whatever they got off the shelf. I'm sure they'd feel pretty bad if they didn't pass tech with their store-bought, untuned motors. :-\
Old 01-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

still cant get on liverc......
Old 01-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I agree, I feel for the poor guy that does not know any better, but since you can make a tool, why would not "tech" the hand outs? Send the ones back to old Erie as bad motors... After all they are not legal, correct? Or is this really not a tech item?

Anyway, can someone tell me how to tech this or can I purchase a tool? I have a race I'm running and I really would like to know this.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Legend

Its great to C the rules be tighten up and enforce even....

Even and fair power for all !!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

So, who is fast?
Old 01-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
I agree, I feel for the poor guy that does not know any better, but since you can make a tool, why would not "tech" the hand outs? Send the ones back to old Erie as bad motors... After all they are not legal, correct? Or is this really not a tech item?

Anyway, can someone tell me how to tech this or can I purchase a tool? I have a race I'm running and I really would like to know this.
I would also like to know about this,anybody
Old 01-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how much tolerance are they giving on the stock arms at the Novak race this week? i mean havnt the stock arms always had varying amount of timing (+/- 2-3 degrees) from the factory?

from what i understand it is the new softer metal used for the comm lock that allows people to twist them past what was possible with the older material. or maybe this is the reason for a wider variance out of the box lately. so i can see them turning down a motor with 5 degrees variance or more, but less then that has always been normal.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daryl Silva
So, who is fast?

I am fast!! I guess that you don't care since I'm not there.LOL
Old 01-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ottoman
A interesting note about the race. Scotty is checking coms on stock and 19t motors. He had a gauge made to measure the com position and is allowing + or - 3 degrees from the manufacturer's specs. Lots of arms not making it past tech today

Come on...Someone take a picture of this tool.. That cat is out of the bag now... Can someone explain how to measure the timing? Help please....
Old 01-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

the comm lock is plastic....always has been....its meant to crack if turned....its no softer than it was 5 years ago......whats happened is the costs on everything have gone up and production prices for tighter tolerances are higher......so we are seeing arms with huge plus and minus in the comm...

Later EddieO
Old 01-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

But...since 5 years ago guys have been using 100W soldering irons to heat the motor shafts at the comm end to soften the comm lock so they could be cranked without cracking.

Remember Cleveland 4 years ago when the A main was 3/10th's SLOWER than the A-Qualifier because Mr. Bill announced we would look at comms after the main?

This has been going on forever and I applaud Scotty for doing somthin about it.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Great, how do I see one of this tools or purchase one?????

Look you guys opened this up... to the group.. maybe you have known for years, but I would like to be able to tech this... because it an advantage... Big advantage.... And at the end of the day Stock and 19T is to fair... this is one of the areas it is not....

Or explain how to measure this, or point in the direction to learn how to tech this...
Old 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AdrianM
But...since 5 years ago guys have been using 100W soldering irons to heat the motor shafts at the comm end to soften the comm lock so they could be cranked without cracking.

Remember Cleveland 4 years ago when the A main was 3/10th's SLOWER than the A-Qualifier because Mr. Bill announced we would look at comms after the main?

This has been going on forever and I applaud Scotty for doing somthin about it.
But if these are hand out motors, and the motor they are getting handed to them may not be legal, that really is not fair or correct... Think of it, your at the race, do not know how to "cracking" the motor, and you get DQ because the motor is not with in the specs. Boy talk about a kick in the teeth...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.