R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-09-2006, 10:09 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation

Thanks for the input, its people like you we are looking for!

Stay tuned.

I am going to try and get a more organized format for collecting the ideas everyone has offered and also offer a more organized why to collect problem issues.

This may end up being set up on a site outside of tech, but all of the work and discussion will be conducted here as this is where the masses are. But we need a structured environment created quickly or we'll be all over the place.

Initially I propose that we get a commitment from a select few to start to work together.

PM me with contact info if you are interested.
FreqETag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbear
Grease Monkey,

Australia can't be doing every thing to well.
They only have about 80 entries total for their on road nats next weekend.
We can kick your butts in League, Cricket, and heck, even Netball now
Thats gotta count for something
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation

Please guys, stay on topic.

Much appreciated.
FreqETag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #19
Tech Addict

I feel the Ray Murray is right so a few years ago I went to my kids school and Started a contest. As I was noticing that even my own kids were becoming video junkies and early couch potatoes. What I did was was call a meeting with the parent teacher association to allow me in the name of my CLUB give away some electric on-road and off-road cars and trucks I had laying in the workshop. This motivated a few kids to actually seek the out door activity of racing. Some sought me out to find out when I was going to the track others that have good grades and received the vehicles took a serious interest. A few moved but took the interest with them to VA and Fl. The interests of the mindset must be broken to release them from the overpriced and overbearing video mania. Yes our hobby cost but look at the cost of a PSP and all the other things that it comes with and the cost of a single game. I have a co-worker that has stood in line to get his name on a list just to get his kid one of the newest latest and greatest. Hundreds of dollars spent on games and consoles and time spent on the couch or behind closed doors is another problem. To enter into the hobby is just the cost of a few discs or game cartridges. These kids and parent not only get the over priced console but leap into thousands in games alone when just reading in consumers digest that the average teenager with one of the major gaming venues owns over 20 games. If you placed a small denomination to one game like 65 which is low that is 1300 in games alone.

The games do not broaden their horizons nor get them to meet people nor make new friends other than the game zombie buddies they already have. Don't get me wrong I love having fun playing games too but moderation is the key. My son who took a liking to driving has traveled all over the country with me since he was 6 and he is going to be 10 in a few weeks. He has made friends all over the country and even emails and im's kids that he ran around the track with.

This hobby/sport of our has POWER.. It is just not being assigned the correct values. It also has the competition aspect which drives us. We need to use the aspects that make it attractive to bring in the new racers and teach and mold them. It will bring forth a new generation of racers another important factor.

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:24 AM   #20
Tech Master

The main difference between now and "back in the day" is, back then you had to make due with what you could find or make (fabricate/modify). The single thing that has changed this hobby the most is RTR vehicles. I got my start in dirt oval and boy do I miss the fun we used to have in the late 80's and early 90's.
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:30 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There are a lot of good ideas here, but they're too complicated to work well. I've been trying to get things changed for years, but it's tough to get racers to change their habits. I've been trying to come with short and sweet ideas that can work. With that, here's one:

Eliminate Stock!!! "Stock" hasn't been stock since they allowed rebuildable motors. The whole idea of stock was a class where you didn't have to worry about racing the guy with years of experience who knew exactly what to do to a motor. If I can buy a brand new motor, and the guy next to me changes brushes, springs, and whatever and gets 5,000 more RPM than my brand new motor, how is that stock???

From another angle, the X-Ray T2'007 goes for about $400 (cheaper here in NYC). A good speed control is $150. Digital steering servo $100. That's $650 already, no batteries, no tires, no body, TO RUN IN STOCK???!!!

What we need is a true spec class, where the chassis, motor, batteries (that will be a good trick), and maybe down to tires and gear ratio are set and that's what you race. There will always be an open class (that's where 19 turn comes in) for the guys who want to spend the money, but there really need to be a budget class for the "hobbyists."
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:37 AM   #22
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to f1larry

I think this is a great thread.

2 things I can think of right of way are

1. Promote the family fun of R/C racing. What other hobby/sport can a Father and Son/Daughter compete against each other on a level playing feild. My son has been racing with me since he was 6 years old we get to race on the same track. With baseball I only get to coach him (don't get me wrong it is rewarding for me to do that) but what is truly rewarding is watching my son improve his racing and get more and more competitive to the point where he will catch and pass me but still be able to compete against each other closely. In sports you can never really compete on the same playing feild as there will always be a physical dominance one way or the other.

2. Unification of class structure. Just like in real racing set up classes that run the same rules that are run at every track or major event. With every new inovation out there everyone wants to get it and as that happens more and more class breaks are formed reducing the number of cars racing each other to the point that so many people want to run different classes. you can have 30 -40 people show up and some people go home because the track does not have enough people to run a certain class that you showed up to race. That happens once you think twice before coming back, if it happens again chances are another racer is lost. Something like Tamiya's TCS would be great to set up class rules to be consistent at all tracks for ability levels.

Just my 2 cents, sorry for the ramblings.

Bottom line is We all need to remember to keep having fun!!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #23
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

EA is right on....

I try and make it a point to help a new racer out by doing just that....
Hit the basic's and drive their car for a lap or 2 and make a few changes to allow them to get around the track better.
The main thing I try and show them is where to let off TH at and some basic driving lines.

I think off-road is key the key to new racers.

Off-road allows for the backyard basher to come and race.....

They can take the car out of the box and toss it on the track.....

No special tires or worry about them messing the carpet up, etc.....
They can take the $150 Rustler/Stampede or ???? and run.

I would say that by far, Monster Trucks are sold more than any other car for bashing.

Get them on the track running the bashing car and that can lead to a true race car if they wish.

This is much harder to do for onroad.
How many times do you see someone bashing in a parking lot with a high end onroad car?
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:11 AM   #24
Tech Regular

i always try and keep a positive attitude when at my local track. Many nights I would rather just go there and help people than actually race. A thank you goes a long way in my eyes.

I generally don't try to fix people's cars as it's better for them to learn how their RTR works, But if their race is coming up I'll do what I can to get them on the track by the horn. I am always open for questions and the ones I can answer I will take the time to do so.

I always have extra speed controllers, servos and lots of other extra stuff to loan out to a person who needs it for the night. I try and do what ever I can to keep people from getting frustrated and quitting.

I've rebuilt motors for people, rebuilt cars, and I practically give parts away to people if i have them. What comes around, goes around. When I got started 3 years ago, people were that way to me and I'm just paying it forward.
MManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:26 AM   #25
Tech Apprentice

At our local track too it seems that the number of racers have thinned.
This problem is indicative in our hobby, that being that less and less people want to spend their time and money to actually "race" their scale cars. But why? Well in order to answer that question I think you really need to ask "those" people. I mean at our local track we get a lot of spectators that come over and ask the usual questions and I know they ask you guys too, but still something is a prohibitive factor. Think about it, what are they saying?
With that to ponder I would really like to see a class that includes the use of a car to race for the day. Even just a basher. Because I think the most appealing aspect of our hobby is the actual driving of these little vehicles, having that tranmitter in your hand and making it go, it's a very basic thrill and it's just plain fun! So you need to somehow get that trasmitter in their hands if there is any hope they will ever get hooked on this great hobby.
edracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:39 AM   #26
Tech Master

Another thought that can be prohibitive to the hobby is the length of the day. Think about how long you are at the track on a given Sat. or Sun. You get there early in the Morning and get home late in the evening. In this day of age with so many other choices of things to do that don't take up as much time it is a big commitment to spend the whole day and then some at the track.

As much as some feel that the RTR is the down fall of the hobby I think we all need to look at it as the future of the hobby. The RTR is the way to get new people into the hobby who think they have no hobby skills. With a RTR all they have to do is charge a battery and start learning how to race. Once they get hooked to the thrill of racing they will make the commitment to learn how to work on their car and gain more confidence that if they spend more money on a higher end kit it won't just end up as a pile of parts.

Helping young or old a newbie or Veteran is also the biggest key to the hobby's success. I know I do what ever I can for someone who is having trouble and I know that My Son and I aprreciate all the help as well as hand me downs that we have received from fellow racers. Thats how you keep up the fun family atmosphere that can be generated around the track.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Lots of good points.

I agree that too many classes is not good: stock rubber, stock foam, 19T rubber, mod foam, 12th scale stock, 19T 12th scale,.... Somehow, for club racing this should be condensed to "Beginner", "Intermediate", and "Expert" no matter what chassis you have or what tires or batteries, or motors. 3 classes period. Would that work??? I don't know. Tamiya Championship Series class structure may; Spec, GT3, GT2, GT1.

I also agree about some tracks with unfriendly track workers, racers. My son and I went to one, I vowed never go to back, and surprise surprise, that track is no longer in business.

Seeing the fast guys huddled over comm lathe, tire truer, soldering iron for 50 minutes, then just 5 minutes of racing doesn't get the newbies excited. Think of those Honda commercials with the kids and the catchy tune: "I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride". Beginner racing should not be a 6 hour day for 20 minutes of track time. Need to get it to be a 3-4 hour day with maybe 60 minutes of track time.

RC is not a mainstream hobby like golf, fishing, etc. So, it needs to be “marketed” better – take it to local races, shopping malls, county fairs, etc.

Suggestions:
Copy NASCAR (go ahead and groan all you NASCAR haters). Have a
“Truck Series” (rental Rustlers, they’re tough as tanks, no motor maintenance, no traction compound), and “Bush Series” (build your own Tamiya F103GTs?? – inexpensive, simple cars, 540 motors), on Friday nights separate from your regular "Cup Series" (Losi, X-Ray, whatever) normal racing night.

Have some of the helpful regulars come in to help the newbies. Focus on fun and track time. With 3800 batteries and 540 can motors, run maybe 2 10 minute qualifiers and a 10 minute main. Two classes: truck and bush. Truck series is rental trucks, new drivers just show up to drive -- don't need to spend $500 before they know if they'll like the hobby. Bush series would give the newbies a place to progress to, build their own car, etc.

My 2 cents.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #28
Tech Master

Hawk6 brings up a great point. Rental rides! I have often thought about that, but the question is the up keep for the track owner and which chasis to get that will hold up. Along with rental rides track owners can generate more income by having R/C birthday parties if a track has cars for people to use a child who is into the hobby can expose their freinds to the hobby by having a party at the track where they can use the rental cars to get exposure. what's the worst that can happen the track gets some income and the kids have fun. What's the upside? Anew group of kids get exposed to a fun hobby and come back with their parents and buy a car amybe even get their dad into to it. Wow what an idea sell more car's and parts. No real downside to the whole idea.

We all need to think out of the box and look in non traditional directions to sustain this hobby and support our LHS and tracks
Old 11-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #29
Tech Elite

What ive notice with some tracks is that it is they turn away some beginners from the get go since thier rtr doesn't come with a spec 27 turn or try to sell them the spec motor just so they can race that day. If your going to have a beginner class don't be so anal with the tech.

My local club which is geared more towards nitro cars lets beginners run what they have just so they don't get overwhelmed with additional costs right of the bat.

remember, most noob's come in with rtr's and a majority of them doesn't come with 27 turn motors.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1larry
As much as some feel that the RTR is the down fall of the hobby I think we all need to look at it as the future of the hobby. The RTR is the way to get new people into the hobby who think they have no hobby skills. With a RTR all they have to do is charge a battery and start learning how to race. Once they get hooked to the thrill of racing they will make the commitment to learn how to work on their car and gain more confidence that if they spend more money on a higher end kit it won't just end up as a pile of parts.
First, I believe we need to be sure to separate the two R/C hobbies - R/C Cars and R/C Car Racing. While they used to be separated into toy quality and race quality, that line is now blurred.

Getting people with RTRs to race is like trying to convince people rollerblading on the beach to play roller hockey. Just because the same equipment is shared does not mean one activity will lead to participation in the other.

The characteristics of RTR users make them poor candidiates as future racers. A person who does not have (or feels he does not have) the skill, time, patience, knowledge, or desire to build a kit will likely not have the skill, time, patience, knowledge, or desire to maintain a racing vehicle.

R/C Racing is a great alternative to racing real cars. It requires the same mechanical and mental skills at a fraction of the cost with no risk of injury or death. If you want more racers, R/C Racing needs to be marketed towards wannabe racers and racing fans, not kids.