Change the Hobby for the Better - TODAY -

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change the Hobby for the Better - TODAY -

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Thats a bummer mate but on the other hand it's what I would expect.
Lets face it , in any club its the one or two commited people who do everything. Everybody else just sits back and whines.

At least you tried.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Sorry if it seemed I didn't want to help? Because I truly did.
The more time I spend reading the tech the more I can understand your goal.
I think ultimately we need to get back to how it all started, back when it wasn't all about racing and more about sharing input and experimenting and having fun instead of who's out doing who.
Freaky-T? The answer to your quest will hurt! And in this hobby it appears very few can take the truth.
I think I spent more time trying to find a way to correct the imperfections as I saw them.
I guess I would say FUN 1st! But save a place for racing.
And I will say this with all that I am. And all that is R/C racing, the answer is in MR. BLACKS, two Signatures.
So read it and practice it.
I believe its important to remember where we came from. Hind sight my friends.
I'm not the wizard? I'm just trying to be!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by loopedeloop
Thats a bummer mate but on the other hand it's what I would expect.
Lets face it , in any club its the one or two commited people who do everything. Everybody else just sits back and whines.

At least you tried.
To add to your point.
As a child growing up and going to the BMX track at the park.
I would lose, make excuses, cry and complain my huffy wasnt good enough, and If that kid wouldnt have hit me I would have won.
My step father God rest his soul:
He would look at me and say: IF YOUR GOING TO BE ONE BE A QUIET ONE!
And FREQ Will tell you, I practice that to this very day.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Now, I said I would help so I'm hoping there was actually more then 2. About all I'm good at is IT hardware though. If we needed funds, we could have a benefit concert...though it'd mean Freq would have to break out the ol' guit-fiddle and play with a band again.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Lord

I want to be a rock star too.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Old 02-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

. . .

Last edited by FreqETag; 02-09-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

It doesnt take much time to leave a few flyers around different places advertising racing, or helping the newcomers when they need some help.

Thats all thats needed sometimes
Old 02-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Tech Lord

In the Diary of change:
It appears the nature of racing has become the face of our hobby.
If its any consolation I believe it could use a face lift.
It will take the initiative of each individual to make that change.
Your intent along with Andrews was an admiration to the hobby, the shops, and the racers.
I wish it was something 1 or 2 people could do.
The hobby has left the building, and racing has taken its place.
The Direction we take starts with awareness, and I believe your thread has done that very successfully.

If we put a limit on what we will do? We put a limit on what we can do.
Later fellas.
Never forget where you came from.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
It doesnt take much time to leave a few flyers around different places advertising racing, or helping the newcomers when they need some help.

Thats all thats needed sometimes
Does anyone have any flyers which they use to give to spectators with the basics about RC and RC Racing?

I'm looking to put together a flyer with RC info to have available at club races so when spectators see and want more information, we can give them a flyer. Thanks
Old 11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by MarkieMark231
A big one for me and for a lot of people is $$$, but what hobby isn't expensive?

One of the biggest probems for me, is all the vets. at the track. I'm new along with many other people. I'm not sure how to setup my shocks,diffs,tires/compunds and it seems like there is a lack of help at the tracks. Everyone I talk to seems to be a know it all who doesn't want to help or explain anything to me. I'd rather hang out with some friends on some trails or in a parking lot than be trying to race at even a club level and get laughed at because I don't know much about what I'm doing. I've only been to 1 track, and maybe its that one track. Maybe I need to try somewhere else.
I am sorry to hear that bro, When I first started I was worried about the same thing. I CAN SAY THAT... some people don't like new competition its a shame but its true. I think in a club level at our track in Tulsa, Oklahoma everyone is pretty friendly. There is kind of a small thing with the Oval guys and us onroad guys around here where oval is Supreme..... but there are alot of left turns around here so you can see why there is such a large oval turnout..LOL. The onroad crew around here is a pretty tight knit group of guys but we love when new peoople come out gives us more and more people to run with and talk to also. I have only been racing for about a year and a half and have only been into rc for about that long also. Its kinda like highschool at times but stand your gound and dont let other racers trash you cause your new. If they do then they are the one with the problem not you if you enjoy it stay with it much like anything. I can say just give it time do some research ON YOUR OWN and the other racers will know you are serious. Like what was said in a previous post this is a way of life for some of us. Some of us work our rears off during the week and look very much forward to the next race day. Then you have some that do it for a living....thats a whole other story though. Well good luck and sorry to hear all the B.S that you are dealing with at your local but if you enjoy it stick with it and those guys will help eventually, maybe they just get tired of helping so many people also and just want to enjoy there time racing and not helping someone else all the time. So do your research take you cars apart learn it as much as you can on your own then ask for the help when you know what you need.
dont know if this contibutes or what but.....
Old 11-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I've never seen this thread before but it's a great idea. First I'd like to give credit to our local hobby shop, Debbie's RC World. We've had an indoor carpet track for about 6 years and now they've spent way too much money building a very smooth 60 x 140 asphalt track for touring and oval. The track also includes a 20 x 300 ft section for drag racing. They have a flying field as well that stays busy as long as the sun is up. They've laid the foundation for a dirt track opposite of the asphalt which will also be about 60 x 140. Times are tough for everyone and I've been lucky enough to have a family owned business willing to support the hobby and racing in the area.

Now to track attitudes. We all have them, some of us just portray them differently. I want to win, but it's more important to me to leave the track knowing that I had a good time and still have friends. I welcome all the new racers and I'm usually the first one to great them and help out where I can. I like to race against multiple fast guys not just the normal 5 or 6 so I'm always willing to give setup advice or pass on anything I've learned. There are some who keep the secrets to themselves, but I'd rather share my findings with everyone else and keep the competition flowing. Faster drivers will only make me faster. Once again, great thread.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Great info in this thread/novel
I have started the process of organizing a club recently and there is a wealth of info here to give me ideas, thanks Freq for being a good ambassador to the hobby, kudos. My plan is to get crazy organized, advertise in the paper, demo at hockey games, flyers etc and spend the winter getting people curious about this hobby. I'm new to this town so it's a great way to meet people as well and I've already found a few guys from the club that was here many moons ago. I want to get as much info to the public and do everything I can to help newbies make good decisions for their first R.C. car. Short Course Trucks could not have come at a better time, this class is PERFECT for the newbie, RTR for around 200$, awesome. For on-road I plan on really emphasizing a Formula One class, HPI Formula Ten for 120$, how freakin great is that. If kids/adults/seniors anyone doesn't have to break the bank to have a blast racing than later they might get into some more serious racing. When I first got into racing in about 91 (the years fly by don't they) the club in my area was great, the members were so welcoming and helpful. I remember a guy giving me a battery pack because I didn't have any good ones and sometimes could not finish a race. Another member gave me some new tires because mine were crap. That was 18 years ago! and I can still remember how everyone helped me out and encouraged me with this Hobby. I want to bring back a bit of those days and create a cool club based on FUN and having a good time with good people. Thanks for everyone that gave their 2 cents
Cheers
Old 11-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

From my own personal experience, the thing that really helped me get going when I first started was one of the fastest drivers who was tremendously helpful. He was extremely willing to help out all the newbies, and he taught me a lot. He would help us out with cutting our comms (for free) and did some of the harder soldering jobs for us. Now, I'm one of the vets, and I need to make sure that I'm as helpful to the newbies as he was to me. I think that's important for getting new people involved and keeping them involved.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Wow, an old freqetag thread! I miss Neal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.