R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default FOR THE NEWBIES!!! IF YOU ARE NEW READ THIS

I started to race 1/10th Touring Cars on Carpet this year. I decided that I wanted to track everytime I went to the track to see how I improve. Some of you might want to read this just to see how the phrase "Smooth is Fast" really works. For all the experienced racers out there thanks for being there for us and helping us out. There is no other competitive based hobby that has this many good people willing to help. Good luck to all of us newbies and keep it up.

2/16/06 Bought Team Losi xxx-s from Hobbytown in Omaha from Alex. Set up with RTR, 3800 batteries, and charger.

2/21/06 Went to practice at the Plex and person practicing was a lot of help as far set up board, shocks, and spring set up. Ran 27T with foams..

2/22/06 1st Wed race. Broke in 1st and 2nd qualifier with about 6 laps and couldn’t start in main due to broken car.

3/1/06 Wed race- broke in 1st and 2nd qualifier and couldn’t race in main due to broke car. Todd Beardmore started to help me.

3/15/06 Wed race qualified 7 of 9 and finished 7th. Broke car after 6 laps 1st time with 19sec lap.

3/29/06 Wed Race crashed after 6 laps . finished 7th of 8 cars. Todd Beardmore speding a lot of time helping me with set up and driving advice. He heard me clicking my controller (letting go of steering after finishing corner to let it straighten out)

4/5/06 Got Dannie out on Wed night. Wed Race.Qualified 6 of 7. Broke after 10 laps and finished 5 of 7 . Running majority 19-20 sec laps

4/12/06 Wed night race . qualified 5th of 7 still breaking a lot of parts but getting better at fixing them faster. Todd Beardmore starts with the “slower is faster” chatter to me before the races.

4/19/06 Wed night race. Qualified 3 of 7. Todd telling me to think and slow down as I am driving when he is under driver stand. Finished 3 of 7 with 14 laps. 1st completed race ever…ran 1st 17.95 sec lap…

4/26/06 racing is becoming an obsession. Starting to track my lap times and reading non-stop about rc racing. Wed night finished 3rd of 7 with 14 laps. Ran 6 laps in 17’s.

5/3/06 Out of town for Wed race and really missed it A LOT!!!

5/10/06 Wed race. Still getting advice on driving from Todd. He is helping me think about slowing down a little and concentrating on corners. Finished 4th of 7 with 15 laps. Breaking a lot less parts but still buying them up on ebay like they are water. Spending a lot of money on parts for my car.

5/17/06 Wed race. Finished 4th of 6 with 16 laps. 1st time with 16 sec lap.

5/24/06 Wed race. Finished 2nd of 5 with 17 laps. SOOOO nervous Todd talking to me entire time saying “Smooth is Fast”…Kept talking to myself to slow down and watch my corners. Ran 9 laps in 16’s….Getting more addictive and starting to obsess about racing….

5/31/06 Wed race. Finished 3 of 5 with 18 laps. Ran 3 laps in the 15’s. Still running foams against other guys in class with rubber tires. Feeling a little guilty but not really.

6/14/06 Wed race. Finished 3rd of 4 with 18 laps. Ran 4 laps in 15’s.

6/21/06 New car xxx-s G+ from Curtis. Bought a new 4300 brushless motor and servo. 1st time with rubber tires. What a change. A lot slicker and need a lot more skill to get around the track. Sure doesn’t stick like foams. Need a lot of help on set up. Beardmore is gonna help me next week on set up.
Wed race. Not enough people for Sportsman so bumped me up to Stock class with all the big dogs. Finished 7 of 9 with 18 laps.

6/28/06 Wed race. Back to sportsman class. Finished 4th of 7 with 18 laps. Ran 3 laps in the 15’s

7/12/06 Wed race. Missed previous week due to july 4th and felt a little out of sorts with the handling of car. Didn’t finish race. Car broke after 5 laps.

7/26/06 Wed Race. Finished 5th of 6 with 18 laps. Ran 1 lap in 14’s…

8/9/06 Wed Race. Finished 3rd of 4 with 19 laps. Ran 5 laps in 14’s. Started to “really” watch stock guys and noticed they didn’t seem to be going as fast as me on the track. They were slowing up for the corners and making the track a lot smaller. For the 1st time I started to look for my line and make the track a lot smaller. Kind of like a bell just went off in my head and said Oh my god this is how they do it, not full throttle every chance I get..Now it clicked what Beardmore was talking about “Smooth is Fast”.

8/16/06 Wed Race. Finished 4th of 4 with 16 laps. Ran 1 lap in 14’s. Felt like crap and nothing felt right.

9/6/06 Took a couple of weeks off. Wed race finished 9th of 9 drivers with 17 laps. Ran all stock and 4300 together, spent a lot of time getting out of leaders way. Loss a lot of momentum doing this and still screwed them up by trying to pull over out of their way. Ran 2 laps in the 14’s

9/20/06 Took a couple more weeks off and practiced a little during the week for the 1st time. Wed Race. Qualified ok, car felt ok and then sold my Main race to Alex for next weeks race fee. He won and ran 22 laps and said my car felt excellent. Gave me a ton of confidence with my car after that. I knew at least my car set up was capable of doing it.

9/27/06 Wed race. FUN NIGHT. 1st to 30 laps wins. Tim Ski won but I finished 2nd with 27 laps. Ran 9 laps in the 14’s. Car felt great and loved how it dove into corners and stuck like glue.

10/4/06 Wed race. Finished 4th of 6 with 20 laps!!! Ran 4 laps in the upper 13’s. Racing is getting more and more fun. Can be right in there. Catching up to Paul Dailey and hanging with him every now and then.Ran 20 5:03 Makes me feel good keeping up with Paul..

10/11/06 Wed Race Finished 5th of 6 with 21 laps!! Ran 7 laps in 13’s and ran a 13.08 lap. Beat Paul 21 to 20 laps. Ran 21 at 5:12….Looking to get new car and discover at bar after racing that someone knew of RDX for sale. Todd explained car like hot knife in tub of butter…lol we all had few drinks. Still getting nervous on driver stand when they call my name or if I get towards the front. Sweating and hands shaking…

10/12/06 Bought Used Corally RDX and switched everything over to it.

10/18/06 Todd met me at track early in afternoon to help me set up new RDX. He didn’t like my use of purple convoloex wire cover. Looked like a dam mess. He asked my permission and ripped everything off my car and started over. It looks soo dam nice..I have a fancy ass car!!! Wed race. This car is fast, too fast. Using Todd’s set up on controller and car it was a lot different. No drag brake setting. Used drag brake setting to compensate for brushless vs stock motor, a lot more roll. Didn’t stick like my xxx-s and seemed a bit loose from what I was used to. Finished 4th of 8 with 21 laps at 5:11. Ran 4 laps in 13’s….

10/26/06 Midwest Indoor Carpet Championship-Hobby Plex, Omaha, NE : Thurs club race felt out of place. These people are good…Turned on a little drag brake and felt a lot more comfortable with car. Thursday practicing my car freaked out. Not sure if I didn’t have antenna up high enough but while setting alignment car took off and smashed into wall. Broke a-arm and end of shock, bent c-hub carrier, cvd, and 2 ($9) screws holding hub carrier. Replaced all broke pieces but car was biding due to c-carrier. Ran like it sat and car was all over the place. Couldn’t get tweak right as well. WAS PO’d… Todd shows up and straightens c-carrier and cvd with pliers and tweaked my car and raced final race of night and did ok. Friday only practiced a couple of hours due to was tired of breaking parts on this new track with a huge straight away going into a curve. Real fast thru there. Showed up Sat and pretty much ran 20 laps all day without breaking down once. Sunday Morning last qualifier I broke a wheel bearing and didn’t finish. I qualified for 4th of 5 in 4300 Rubber B Main. I was soo dam nervous racing I could feel the tension building in my back and chest as I was racing. After a couple of laps I jumped up to 2nd place and was really happy and nervous as a whore in church. He announced that 3 mins have passed and I wanted to scream, OH my god hurry up and end this dam race, I was just waiting to screw up and get passed by everyone. He announced that I was 7.8 sec behind Paul and I thought hey I can catch him. So I sped up a little and slammed into the wall. My very next thought was 2nd aint too dam bad!!!
I finished 2nd of 5 with a 21 5:10 FASTEST SOO FAR. I ran consistent 14 laps in the 13-14’s .Touching 16’s only 2 times. Was extatic….Although they forgot to make trophies for our class, but Tim promised they would get them to us…It was a LONG and fun weekend. I was burnt out on racing and thought I would be done for a couple of weeks. But Monday passed and I cant wait for this Wednesday…

11/1/06 Wed Race. WON MY FIRST RACE!!!! Finished 1st of 5 drivers with 20 laps at 5:00. Ran 4 laps in 13’s. Ran consistent 13-15’s with exception of 2 laps. Felt very good. Didn’t feel as nervous this time. Paul and I ran 2nd and 3rd side by side for 6 laps then on the last turn of the last lap with a little love tap I passed him for the win. Great racing a lot of fun!!!

11/8/06 Wed Race. Broke A-Arm 1st qualifier after 10 laps. 2nd qaulifer, qualified 2nd of 7 with 21 laps. Last 7 laps of main, couldn’t turn right w/o rear end sliding out from under car and losing control. Finished 3rd with 20 laps at 5:12. Rear diff seemed tighter than what it normally is after race. Loosened and will practice next week to see if that solved problem. No nerves at all during race just clammy palms before the race started. Bear started to set my xxx-s for him to run.

11/15/06 Wed Race. New layout tonight. Just when I get comfortable…lol… New track is slick. Add some more droop to front and car is loose but fast. I can feather it through turns and stick pretty well as long as I don’t over run turns.. Qualified 3rd of 5 with 21 laps. RAN 22 LAPS at 5:13 (High run for me) Todd won with 22 laps 5:07.
Preparing for Enduro race on Dec 3. Bought new rotor for my 4.5 Brushless and will set up car for foams for next week. Gonna have to set up a lot different by adding both same week. (stiffen all springs, leave shock oil 40/50, tooth up by 2 (due to sintered rotor))

11/22/06 Wed Race. New rotor and foams. Figured out what everyone means about roll-out..While practicing with foams discovered I LOVE FOAMs….Car is soo fast…wow….Set my roll-out to 1.24 and the car was great….23 laps in 1st qualifier…broke shock end in 2nd qualifier…oh oh here comes the parts with these dam foams…We ran a 12 minute main to prepare for the Enduro on 12/3….Topped off my 4200’s and started 4th of 8…Decided I would let them all pass me at the beginning and play catch up at about the 4-5 minute mark… Worked great..Batteries were dumping,cars breaking, and motors smoking. The I turned it on and was flying (for me)
Ran 10 of the last 20 laps in the 12’s..It was down to 3 of us and then Tim fell out..I made one more lap, then they announced if I make one more lap I will pass Tim for 2nd..(Curtis was flying…he is my team mate for Enduro  ) I adjusted my eyes going into the corner and clipped the wall and broke an A-Arm…I needed about a ½ lap to have passed him..3rd isn’t bad.. Ran 50 laps at 11:16..Lovin the foams but not these $8 A-Arms 

11/29/06 Wed Race. Yikes what a night. Bought new foam tires from the discount rack (orange spoke rims) 1st qualifier was like I was on rubber tires with no compound. They were horrible. 2nd qualifier gave myslef a little more droop in the front and it was a little better but when I stuck in a borrowed lipo (to prepare for the Enduro) the car was all over the place. I forgot about the weight difference between a pack of IB 4200's and a 6000 Lipo (440g to 295g). We decided to run a 12 minute main again. I put some weight on the battery side and went out there. The car did ok but a little wild. I clipped the wall 8 minutes in and broke another a-arm.....Dont know what I am gonna do about the Enduro this Sun. My diffs are starting to make noise as well....Sigh...

12/3/06 "2.4 Hours at the Plex Enduro" I spent the last few nights getting my old XXX-S ready because I was a litle tapped and didnt have funds for Diff rebuild kits and a package of A-Arms. Changed my roll out to 1.11 weighted up the battery side. 1st qualifer I ran 23 laps. Great set up....I can hold throttle all the way through the straight into the big sweeping turn. Our team name was "Team CPR" (Curtis, Paul and Rich) we are all beginners (about a year of experience) Curtis gets out there first and ran 28 mins with his 6000 LIPO and did a great job. I was second to run and my car out of nowhere decided to traction roll in every corner.....I was soo mad...(FYI dont put compund on your foams 30 minutes before you go out on a high traction surface) It was horrible just to keep it from rolling. About 9 minutes into my run I broke....The heavy battery bar we made (filled XXX-S battery bar with melted lead) ripped the whole battery post and frame away from the car. Paul rushed out to race while Curtiss worked on my car...He zip tied my battery and post into the car. My second run was right after Paul and I did pretty well averaging about 13.2 second laps for about 25 minutes. My eyes were starting to go crossed and I noticed Iw as putting alot of my wieght on my right leg...lol I was about to fall over. Well my team discovered one thing that day......We are SLOW!!! We finished last place in the Enduro with 597 laps. The next closest team to us was like 640 laps...We did alright for a bunch of newbies with only one unscheduled pit stop...It was alot of fun and we all look forward to doing it again. I had a revelation that day. A newbie driver can get lucky every now and then and win a 5 minute race but the experienced drivers will always prevail in 2.4 hours

1/11/07 Alright I am back……The end of November was terrible. I taped my battery in for a race, never taping it before I wanted to see if it was gonna stay in when I hit the wall. So I hit the wall at an angle real slow, the car immediately acted funny…ohhh I was mad…I thought it was my fresh battery pack dumping. I took it over to the bench and found that my esc cracked apart on me…I soon found out that was obviously very bad..I sent my esc and motor back to Novak and these guys were great. I got an upgrade to a SS+ and they re-soldered it back to my 4300 brushless…Great people there at Novak. I missed that last couple weeks of my weekly racing series but I still took 3rd overall and got a gift certificate from Hobbytown…Kinda cool…Me and a couple of guys decided we would go back to stock rubber versus 4300 foam..SOOOOOOOOO MORE MONEY!!!! I bought a 13.5 brushless, and ICE charger and talked to the very cool people at MaxAmps and got a 6000 LIPO. I put my car back to my rubber specs and the stock motor and went into the Plex to race. Todd helped me on my set up again when I got there. He was really confused on how in the hell I came to the set up that I had  I feel bad cause when I ask for a 5 minute favor in turns into a ½ hour. Thanks Todd..The first race was me being a newbie again, all over the place running into people,walls,and animals  I caught the wall just right and bent my aluminum hub carrier..I remembered Todd doing some tweaking a few months back so I got 2 pairs of pliers and untweaked it…Pretty close at least…I got back in for the main and did pretty good…Still kinda all over the place and it was like a magnet to a steel wall but I still did 22 laps, right behind Paul…ohhhh I was soo close to taking him..Next time Paul!!!! I was running on some old batteries until I get my lipo this week sometime. Still enjoying it but I got a little frustrated cause it seemed like I was breaking and spending money after a long span of not breaking…But gonna stick with it and addicted again…till next week…

1/18/07 WED Race - Got my MaxAmps 6000 LIPO the other day and charged it Wed. Got to the track a little early and worked on my tweak since the lipo is soo much lighter than my 4200IB’s. Ran about a 15 minute practice and the car ran pretty well and came off the track at 108 degrees. Before qualify I decided to gear up so I bought a new pinion and my roll out was 1.5. I was concerned at such a high roll out, but wow the first qualifier it was fast. Took me a little to get used to it but still ran about 23 laps. I LOVE THIS MAXAMPS LIPO…..I am finding a lot more time in between races by not having to charge, change and discharge batteries in between races..Love it… In the 2nd qualifier I RAN 24 LAPS AT 5:12…SMOOTH IS FAST… 17 of the 24 laps in the 12’s .I got kinda nervous in the middle of the race cause I could tell how smooth I was running and knew I was doing well…dam nerves...
Stock Rubber and ran 24 laps—great for me!! I came out for the main starting 3rd and the 2nd place Curtis broke down and I was in 2nd and moving ok…I noticed the car was slowing up and my battery dumped on me with 1 minute to go…Remember all that free time in between races…I shoulda charged my battery…After practicing and qualifying for 30 minutes at a 1.5 roll out I shoulda charged…NOT TO SELF Charge battery….But it was a good night overall…..Might go up his Sunday and race …We’ll see…

Last edited by omaharich; 01-18-2007 at 07:44 AM. Reason: UPDATE
omaharich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Mate

i am 58 and started in this game 6 months ago.

You could change dates, times and locations and that could be me.

Cheers
oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Keep it up buddy... your doing GREAT!

Key Words......... "SMOOTH IS FAST"

Big KUDO's to Rich... It's been GREAT watching you improve EVERY week..! Keep it up buddy... your doing GREAT!

Oh Ya, remember to keep saying to yourself (EVERY LAP) "Smooth is FAST"

QUOTE: "I was soo dam nervous racing I could feel the tension building in my back and chest as I was racing." Uhhh!!!....and don't forget to BREATHE.........!

Last edited by tbeardmore; 11-09-2006 at 06:11 PM.
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Tech Regular

LOL Thanks for the great read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for pointing out to some of the newbies that their are lot's of guys at every track that are willing to help. It's almost as much fun seeing someone new become addicted then racing itself.
Andy who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeardmore
Key Words......... "SMOOTH IS FAST"

Big KUDO's to Rich... It's been GREAT watching you improve EVERY week..! Keep it up buddy... your doing GREAT!

Oh Ya, remember to keep saying to yourself (EVERY LAP) "Smooth is FAST"....and don't forget to BREATHE.........!

Thanks soo much for your help Todd!!! You da man for sure!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Good idea on keepin track of all the times you went to the track. I did something like this but it was a list of all the tips and stuff that i had heard. i later tried all them to see which worked for me and which didnt... Nice work
XNXIXTXRXOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What's REALLy funny about this is........ you kept "RECORD" all of this info....!

hmmm..... imagine that...?
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Did you spend the day driving or writing a book? .........Anyway glad to see another addicted racer. We need as many as posible. Great improving on the track.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Kinda makes me wish I kept a log when I started.

Congrats on the improvements!

And props to Todd for being so helpful, there aint too many out there prepared to put the time into helping newbies.
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Not only is my problem forgetting to breathe, nut forgetting to BLINK!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:00 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey I remember those day's. Wait I'm still in those day's. Blink I wish I would remember to do that. I still remember the first time I was in the lead. and We are able to bump up. My leg was shaking so bad. that the other driver came up to me and ask if it was I that was Shaking so bad. Well I still shake but not so bad.
cyrrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:30 AM   #12
Tech Adept

lol Todd u r a quick one (btw everyone, my last name is Record )
I remember a few months back everytime the announcer would say my name I would instantly run into the wall...lol even if I wasnt in the lead. Just got me nervous as hell everytime...
Old 11-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to ALBERTO Send a message via Yahoo to ALBERTO

kudos brother!!!!!! We need more people such as yourself in this hobby!!! Keep up the tight lines
Old 11-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
4/12/06 Wed night race . qualified 5th of 7 still breaking a lot of parts but getting better at fixing them faster. Todd Beardmore starts with the “slower is faster” chatter to me before the races.
Quote:
8/9/06 Wed Race. Finished 3rd of 4 with 19 laps. Ran 5 laps in 14’s. Started to “really” watch stock guys and noticed they didn’t seem to be going as fast as me on the track. They were slowing up for the corners and making the track a lot smaller. For the 1st time I started to look for my line and make the track a lot smaller. Kind of like a bell just went off in my head and said Oh my god this is how they do it, not full throttle every chance I get..Now it clicked what Beardmore was talking about “Smooth is Fast”.
That's cool Rich I got a good chuckle out of it all!! BUT....Did you notice it only took 4 months for it to click! Just think if you were a quick study!! Sorry man couldn't resist! And I think it was quite a bit more than a love tap! Of course I say that cause I got beat!

Great job... keep it up!

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

How do you remember all that?
Tony Vega is offline   Reply With Quote