R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple
You're making an issue where there isn't one. Both are link cars, where the side springs are is a minor detail. If your problem is just soldering the motor wires on, try attaching them on the bottom lugs.
The point of this thread was to see how many people didn't want to settle for cars that weren't "top of the line." SM and CRC cars both have their ups and downs but what I wanted to do was create a car that had more ups then downs in comparison to the SM and CRC cars.

Yes, this is my personal opinion. I love the rear suspension of the 4/4.5 and I also love the gen-x motor mount, so why settle for one or the other when I could have both?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:12 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

Yes, theoretically it could be done. Yes, someone like BMI could take your prints and machine parts for you. Judging from the reaction you are getting, I doubt there is much demand for them. If you have your heart set on it because you think it would be cool, go ahead and do it.

Personally, I don't think it's necessary, and there are easier ways of making the IRS/SM 4 bolt rear pod more acessable from the top than going through all that trouble.

-James
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Jason, I can't wait to see and hear about your new invention!!

Smojoe, have you ever seen a Flexi Flyer by Jari Taskila?
How about a GiantKiller? ( I am sure there are others across the world)
These guys have pushed the envelope on their cars and they are only similar
to a "production" twelve. lighter,smoother,lower cg,easy access to motors,etc

Modify your stuff to the way you like it. If it doesn't work, who cares.
If it does, we'll all be talking about YOUR new invention!!!

I like your base ideas and wish you luck with development.

Shaggy
Old 11-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Thank you very much for your support, Shaggy.

Another idea I am kicking around (after a recent conversation with gotyournumber) is an adjustible wheelbase, similar to the one found on the '05 Maverick oval car. This is the only way my feeble little brain has been able to come up with an adjustible wheelbase without it been incredibly prone to tweaking. Ideas/input?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #20
Tech Addict

I do not race oval but an I idea of mine is to just have countersunk "slots" to be able to move the front and rear.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

you would probably need to have different chassis, as when you adjust the front suspenion mounting you also need to move the servo to keep the same ackerman, and honestly i dont think that it is something you would really change at a race really, there are half a dozen other adjustments I would think of doing before wheelbase.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormperson
you would probably need to have different chassis, as when you adjust the front suspenion mounting you also need to move the servo to keep the same ackerman, and honestly i dont think that it is something you would really change at a race really, there are half a dozen other adjustments I would think of doing before wheelbase.
mind telling us what they are?
Old 11-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Quote:
You are thinking front end, while I am thinking rear pod.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:14 PM   #24
Tech Master

Sure, but let me say first, yes, wheelbase is an important aspect of how to tune a chassis, however you trade off a good bit when you do it (sacrifice high for low speed and it changes it how reacts in many different ways. and when you are at a race it can sometimes be hard to predict exactly how it will work with other changes, as no change always does the same thing) and its not very easy to change, thus you have to reset your end points and it affets weight balance as well when you move the servo. If the car has a cronic condition then wheelbase might be the answer. If it always pushes low speed and steers too much high speed you might want to shorten the wheelbase, if it does the opposite you might want to increase it, although I have never had this problem with the Rev. 4. I also much rather play with the front wheelbase than the rear as when you make the rear shorter you gain rear traction but you also add steering, so its not simple to figure out which will do more than the other and how exactly it will feel on track. As with every bite level it will react differently and at a big race you cant drive the first few laps easy as the different from 5th to 15th is normally a few seconds. If you really really want to try it, i think kimbrough makes ride height adapter that move the rear axle front or back.

The things that I change the most are (not in order)
-Front tire (purple vs. magenta vs. black) at big races I normally just run purple and in club racing i normally run magenta and black I have tried off and on but never really ran it that much. Not to bash anyone's product but I feel that jaco purples pick up more traction throughout a run than parma purples, thus why many jaco drivers run a black front tire, espically on high bite.
-Front sauce: once i select a tire i sauce anywhere from 1/3 to 3/4, i dont like having to sauce more or less than that as it means there is probably something else wrong with the car
-Center spring/ center ride height/pod droop: if the car is pushing coming out of tight corners when i get on the gas i go to a stiffer center spring, but normally i try to run as soft as possible (blue) as it makes the car easier to drive without giving up steering. Center ride height, normally a bit of sag in the middle, and i run more if i am lifting or traction rolling. And droop, if i need more off power steering on lower bite i add more droop to the car.
-Side/Center springs: very rarely do I change them, for club racing sometimes i run a 20 vs. a 22 on high bite, but only once in a blue moon will i run a 18 as it makes the car very scary to drive or a 24, it makes it scary to drive as well as it reacts slowly
-Tube Dampening: If the car is turning in too much i make it thicker, if it turns in too little i make it thinner. kinda a generalization, but normally thats the gist of it.
Battery position- more steering further back, less steering further forward (all about weight transfer, as i make my cars push just enough so i have to lift a bit for each corner to a)charge the power cap and b) not scrub and it makes it easier to drive and in 8 minutes it makes it alot easier to go clean for the entire run)
Old 11-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #25
Tech Addict

oh, so you meant normal tuning changes. I was expecting "more holes for dampener tube travel adjustment" or something like that.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:33 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to eforer

as far as soldering the motor in. It is not super hard, esp if you use the reccomended 16 awg wire. Also, run the wire to the closest terminal on your motor under the pod upper deck. Solder that one first. Run the rear terminal over the upper deck and solder it second. Makes life alot easier.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:39 AM   #27
Tech Master

Thats that it though you meant as people seemed to want a wheelbase adjustment made as easy as changing the front tire. If someone really cannot tune their car to work given any normal change you can make i would be suprised and that is what I was getting at. There are so many other adjustments on the car that I would rather change and are alot easier than wheelbase. yes in some cases if the original design of the car is that far off wheelbase is something nice to change, but not in this case...
Old 11-13-2006, 10:16 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Quote:
yes in some cases if the original design of the car is that far off wheelbase is something nice to change, but not in this case...
What I intend to do it get a list of things that I/other people are looking for in a 12th scale car, use what little CAD and drafting knowledge I have, and eventually get a prototype out. It may be the bee's knees or it may be dog poo, but the important thing is that instead of settling for one car or the other someone made one that does it all. Crazy? yes. Impossible? maybe. Entertaining? you better believe it.

The reason I started out with the whole SM vs. CRC bit was to get people fired up (and maybe thinking about SM + CRC). I see that only worked with two or three people.

btw gotyournumber, I'll be over at your pit wednesday to take down more "crazy" ideas.