R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #16
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If 4 cell becomes a rule...then that shuts out lipo.

Hmmm...
Old 11-07-2006, 02:53 PM   #17
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE ELLIS
I am under the impression that this change is to be in modified. At our club level very few drivers run mod. We have a good turn out for stock rubber and foam. The drivers that have moved to 19t make up the rest of the sedan classes. The few times some of the better drivers have run mod, they find they are just as fast in 19t, so they end up back to that class. My "conservitive approach" would be different if it included all sedan classes. Having been in this hobby/sport for 23 years, I learned a long time ago that fighting changes rarely ever works out. At my age you just go with the flow, I have never used it as a reason to quit!
Why do they not run mod at your club level?

With less cells you could race mod and have a motor that is handwound and balanced or even use a brushless motor that you never have to worry about. With 19T racers are changing their brushes every run to maximze the power and efficiency. At times I think it is more expensive to race stock and 19t since you are dependent on the best batteries.

If ROAR went with the flow a few years back when we had open tires in TC we could of killed TC Racing back then.

I think at this years nationals there should be a exhibition class for 5 cells. I think 4 cells may be too much as it we would need to run Brushless to be competitive.

Mike-I wish you all the best in your campaign to be ROAR President and I commend you for taking a stand on this forum.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Todd, its Mike Queller not Mike Ellis.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Old 11-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Agreed on all points, to a certain extent. The average hobbystore customer wants a vehicle that offers a half-hour of run time, at 50+ mph, ten seconds after they rip it out if the box. I've ACTUALLY heard customers complain about having to decal the bodies in some RTR kits, that's the state of the market now. I'm not going to point fingers as to how this "microwave mentality" began to rear its ugly head in the R/C car market, but what we have to look at is that the big mph is what draws newbies, but racers generally look at overall performance vs. cost to determine what they race. Let the newbies come in and buy the fastest vehicle they can, if they start racing they'll need some different gear anyway. In VERY FEW instances, does the second r in RTR stand for race.

I'm actually no longer opposed to 4-cell TC, the cars are actually too fast in Mod right now, and turn to shrapnel the first time they see a board. I personally won't run 4-cell TC, but I think it's better for the sport on the whole.
I have personally watched as more than 50 RTR kits have gone out the door at our new LHS (with track). I have only met one that has come back to race at this incredible facility. We (many racers, not just I) have taken the time to show him the ropes and have "little by little" built his confidence to a point where he wants to run with us on a race day. He is going to join our novice class soon. It took a lot of work to get just ONE new racer. All of us need to really reach out if we want sedan racing to survive.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Old 11-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hodge
When did your RDX come out? I think it has been about 2 years.

GTX has been out for a few years.

XXX-S had a lifespan of about 3 or 4 years.

TC3 had a good life of 3 or 4 years.

Everyone does not have a limitless budget to buy new batteries all the time.

Losi is a good company that has been able to produce some nice car with a good life span (2 years+). But some of car manufacturers like Xray come out with a new car every year...hard to keep up with.

Back on topic...I agree with you on the battery updates...I just upgraded my very tired 3300 and 3700's for some IB4200SHV...the the World Championship cells come out...suffice it to say I won't be getting any of those...
Old 11-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
Why not have a Chassis approval like everything else? Put a cap on the price (like stock motors) and make a chassis have to be available before a certain time to have it be legal...

I love this idea for certain classes of racing...I just bought my TA05 and love it. With the release of the T2R and Cyclone S it could be done...maybe another topic for another forum
Old 11-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #22
Tech Master

I'll certainly agree on one point. Bringing in new racers is a must. If new racers don't join our hobby, then where will tomorrows racers come from? We're all getting older (even if we don't want to admit it) and hopefully wiser. Local clubs, tracks and hobby shops need to get involved with the newbies and help them getting involved in racing. By that I mean holding their hand and working with them through the process of competition, and how to become better drivers which in turn will save them money on parts. Show them how many friends they can make at the local venue. I too have been involved in RC since the early 80's. (yes, I know I'm old, I just don't accept it!) and have witnessed many, many changes in our chosen hobby. Without the newcomers, racing will disappear and all that will be left is the backyard bashers. In the area I live I've seen an enormous amount of local places to race fall to the wayside due to lack of participant count, and it's happening all over the country.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil
Todd, its Mike Queller not Mike Ellis.
Hey Todd, wrong Mike man!

Remember Mike Ellis? He was the tech director at Nats in Portland, that you and Brent helped us out???

Dom
Old 11-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Alright....we're straying from the point of this thread a bit, but a good discussion none-the-less.
Not a whole lot of folks know me on here...but most that do know my story.
I got back into RC a little over a year ago after taking a 15 year hiatous from the Hobby. So if my points seem a bit harsh...well, I'll apologize now...
As I agree with some of the points here by Hodge, Advil, and others...
As someone mentioned earlier....hardly anyone is racing modified at the club level....club racer numbers are down significantly everywhere (and not just TC's...refer to the article in RC Driver)....we see more folks quitting and selling out now than in previous years.
Why are these things happening?
Answer most likely to hear......COST. OK, maybe thats part of it. To some degree I can sympathize and agree considering the number of different cells I've run in the last year. But, those cell developments are what got us here, to the point that dropping from 6 to 5 or even 4 cells is now a viable option without loosing a ton of speed. You cannot stop or even slow the development of NiMh technology or Lipo for that matter, remember these cells are not being developed solely for RC racing....there's other major industries using these cells. Now, with that in mind, that doesn't mean that the racing community as whole can't speak up and ask for caps on the cells being used in Regional, National, and Special events. OR motor limitations if needed...although I think limiting motors in modified defeats the purpose of modified. Changes can be proposed but have to be acted on. The real problem I beleive is in Stock. Too many pro drivers in stock and staying there because they have no reason to move up and are not forced to. It's pretty demoralizing to a newbie kid to get lapped 5 times in 5 minutes, and we wonder why we don't see them again at the track.
Back to the whole idea of this thread, I have a ballot sitting in front of me.
Here's what I want to hear from the candidates:
I beleive there needs to be sweeping changes to ROAR, not only with the rules...but with how this organization operates. I think ROAR is currently an inept, out-dated organization that has done nothing while racer numbers have dwindled everywhere. I apologize if that offends any current elected officials and/or members...just my personal opinion. If you want a non-profit organization to operate for the good of the membership, benefit of racing, and to grow this hobby....then I suggest this needs to be run more like a non-profit corporation. From what I see on the outside, there's way to much garbage in ROAR that needs to be taken to the curb. The Excom seems to have more power than the President....can anyone truely explain what the Excom is and its definition of existance? I surely can't understand it.
Why don't the club track owners and members have more influence on the rules and organization itself? Seems to me that no one can answer that either, club racing is what feeds the big events. What happened to the Regional qualification system? Better yet, what happened to regionals? I could go on for days....but I'd rather read what the candidates have to say about making our ROAR more uniform with the other racing organizations across the globe and what they intend to address during their term(s).
4 cell, 5 cell, 6 cell....What ever brings out more competition and gives the hobby more exposure and participants.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #25
Tech Master

Personally, I like the "idea" of slowing the cars down, but how realisitic is it that they will slow down.

Take oval racing as a fine in fact perfect example.

Ask the oval guys what 4 cell did. It slowed them down, until they figured out just to put a lower turn motor in the car. I think it took the mod guys about 10-18 months to reset track records with 4 cells instead of six. I could be way off base here, but that's the story I heard.

I think a lot more has to be done with actual Cost Limits on racing. Even if you use spec tires, 4 cells, and limit on what motors you can use, nothing stops the racers from buying the absolute best of everything in that category. This sounds crazy, we're racing, we should be able to race what we want. But if you look at real car racing, and real motorsports that have grown into major players, they have MUCH more strict guidelines and rules that MUST be followed.

I saw "speed stacking" on TV last week. How can kids stacking cups up be on TV when R/C Cars aren't? There were no major sponsors at this event, just kids stacking up cups. Literally, I'm not kidding. I'm not trying to knock it in anyway, just using it as a basic example.

It's cheap, anyone can do it and do it well. We need R/C to be that way, affordable, and at some level, operable by anyone that walks off the street.

R/C Cars are Cool, and we need more people to see how cool they are somehow. To grow our sport, we all need to look at it differently, not just as a racer, or as a basher, but as both. A Rasher. Sorry.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #26
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

racing is racing it will always cost...

why not run for 8-10 mins that would slow the cars down

the real point is this: why make a big change now right when lipo and brushless are set to take over??

If we go to 5 or 4 cells then what when lipo comes, more batteries to buy...

Let's stay the same or add run time at least until lipo is ready to be roar legal
Old 11-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #27
Tech Master

you said RASHER!!!!!!

Team Associated/Reedy/LRP
Old 11-08-2006, 03:38 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
I saw "speed stacking" on TV last week.
How bored were YOU?!

hehe sorry, just had to ask
Old 11-08-2006, 07:19 AM   #29
Suspended

Good to see the three Presidential candidates have decided to chime in.

*sarcasm*
Old 11-08-2006, 07:35 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmooth
Good to see the three Presidential candidates have decided to chime in.

*sarcasm*
tricky subject this 4 cell 5cell 6 cell 7 cell 8 cell
damned if they do ,damned if they don`t
Closed Thread