R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   any idea about Reedy Kr 9turn double. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/135802-any-idea-about-reedy-kr-9turn-double.html)

edwintklee 11-06-2006 05:08 AM

any idea about Reedy Kr 9turn double.

hi guys,

any 1 have any idea about the reedy Kr 9 turn tuning? not i set to zero, very slow. any idea what is the best position of timing where is good at topspeed and torque? not at local track, a tamiya 11 turn is faster than me.....

any idea to out run the 11 turn tamiya, i ran at about 8.80 ratio..

Randy Pike 11-06-2006 12:20 PM

You need to run the the KR's around 12-14 degrees of timing. Make sure you run Reedy brushes and stiff springs. Soft springs and worn or incorrect brushed will all effect performance...

L.P.I. 11-06-2006 12:35 PM

We used to build these motors here at lightspeed, i will tell you what i would do! first off what brushes are you running, if they are the ones that came with it they will be worn out very quick, they are good brushes, their just realy soft! you may want to get some reedy plutonium brushes or the trinity xxx brush, i have my own version as well! NEXT! can your charger show you amp draw on a motor? if it does set the motor to pull about 9 amps to start with, to see where your at! the motor should be faster than the other guys! If its still slower then you may have a short in it! But i would definately change the brushes to the new compound, it will perform more pertictable with them! If you have anymore questions send me an email!

edwintklee 11-06-2006 08:30 PM

hi LPI,

i am using Dcmotorsport XXX brush, i have both charger (pulsar1 & ice)that can run motor, just dunno what the amp means...

about yr instruction or the Kr pulling 9 amp, at what voltage? 7.2v??

i test running on my pulsar, at 7.2 v its about 3.8 to 4.0a. what does this means??

edwintklee 11-06-2006 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Pike
You need to run the the KR's around 12-14 degrees of timing. Make sure you run Reedy brushes and stiff springs. Soft springs and worn or incorrect brushed will all effect performance...

12-14 deg? how do you know it 12 or 14? i only notice there is 4 grove on the endbell, 1st grove is at the 0 mark..the other 3 is on the right with the motor endbell facing me...

thank a lot for your info guys....

AM03GT 11-07-2006 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by edwintklee
12-14 deg? how do you know it 12 or 14? i only notice there is 4 grove on the endbell, 1st grove is at the 0 mark..the other 3 is on the right with the motor endbell facing me...

thank a lot for your info guys....

each groove mark is 12 degrees... anything in between you have to "guess"... i.e. 8 degrees timing would be somewhere between the 0 and the first mark...

as for pulling amperage the 9.0A is at something low like 2.0v. if your motor is pulling 3.5-4.0a then perhaps you need a stiffer spring or the motor needs to run in longer to properly seat the brushes to get more power....

L.P.I. 11-07-2006 08:02 AM

Sorry i didnt include the volts! set it at three, now this is just a base setting so you can get up and running. DC has good brushes, so if it still has no amp draw then yes get some stiffer springs i like running stiff springs on my 9 turns. 9 amps is pretty low for a nine, we are running the new cobalt 2 motor at 11 to 14 amps, 9 amps is a good starting point, but i wouldnt go over that 12 to 14 degree mark of timming with your engine. If you still are having problems with it you can send it to me and i will completely rebuild it for $20 bucks! it will be like new again!

edwintklee 11-07-2006 08:11 AM

when running motor on charger, when the voltage going from 2v to 7.2v, the amp draw show about 7a, when reach 7.2 v it show 3.5 to 4a.

is it if i tune and run properly, i should get 9 a when voltage is increasing and when reach 7.2 v, the amp draw should about 2 to 2.5 a??

L.P.I. 11-07-2006 11:51 AM

How much timming do you have in the motor? It should pull more amps as you increase the voltage, if it keeps going up and down it has a short in the armature! or the magnets have lost their zap! or the brushes are worn out! How many runs do you have on the brushes? on the timming turn it up to the first mark on the end bell, and make shure the motor is going the right direction, it should spin counter clock wise, you can put your finger on the shaft to see which way it will pull it! if it is going backwards turn the end bell around so the positive and negative switch places! hope this helps!