R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2007, 07:29 AM   #1051
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ran my Gen X for the 1st time last night. The car was awesome. I was runnning 19T on carpet. (high bite) Started with box setup, except tires. Made a couple of changes and the car was getting close to what I wanted. Hope to make it out to our indoor asphalt track this weekend for some action.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:41 PM   #1052
Tech Apprentice

Could someone post a good large carpet track setup for stock, and also what I might change if I were to run 19 turn? Thanks
IMTK422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:51 PM   #1053
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMTK422 View Post
Could someone post a good large carpet track setup for stock, and also what I might change if I were to run 19 turn? Thanks
They have several good setups on their page:

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...showpage&pid=7

Most of them are from higher bite (big event) races, but are still good starting points.
CShearburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:16 AM   #1054
Tech Champion

Ran my Gen X for the 2nd time yesterday. Decided to lookup online a couple of the team drivers high bite 19T setups. I tried Smyka's. With the .45 front springs, the car seemed to dig in the corners a little to much. I tried his setup with different damper tube oils and different front springs. I settled with .50 springs and everything else on his setup the same. The was dailed.
The only thing the setup didn't say was what front and rear width's where. I ran 172 rear and 168 front.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:12 AM   #1055
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default long arm setup

since the new front braces came out with the option holes that allow you to move the caster blocks inboard, I've been anxious to try the long arm setup. Sadly CRC remains out of stock on the extra long upper pivot balls and the longer upper arms are not available yet either. Being a stubborn and impatient guy (imagine an RC racer with those characteristics) who badly wanted to try the long upper arms, I discovered that one can use the GenX upper arms and the L4's little turnbuckle and upper arm pivot ball sockets, and then use L4 kingpins and steering blocks.....and voila....long arm setup that fits on the genX with parts from my old spares box. As slick a design as the CRC pillow ball and steering block system is,.....the hybrid combo that I'm using now seems to work great. It smoothes the car out nicely without giving away steering. In truth, i've not been so crazy about the big hole front bearings which seem to get sloppier sooner than the regular 1/8" bearings. So if you are like me and want the long arms and just cannot wait until CRC has all the necessary conversion parts available,........a nice combo can be put together with available parts (that you probably have in you old parts bin anyway). Happy motoring. Love this car!!!! especially with the longer upper arms fitted to it.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #1056
Tech Champion

Thats a great idea Perry. I can't wait till Wednesday and hit the track. I have a couple more things I want to try. I wish I would have made the change sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
since the new front braces came out with the option holes that allow you to move the caster blocks inboard, I've been anxious to try the long arm setup. Sadly CRC remains out of stock on the extra long upper pivot balls and the longer upper arms are not available yet either. Being a stubborn and impatient guy (imagine an RC racer with those characteristics) who badly wanted to try the long upper arms, I discovered that one can use the GenX upper arms and the L4's little turnbuckle and upper arm pivot ball sockets, and then use L4 kingpins and steering blocks.....and voila....long arm setup that fits on the genX with parts from my old spares box. As slick a design as the CRC pillow ball and steering block system is,.....the hybrid combo that I'm using now seems to work great. It smoothes the car out nicely without giving away steering. In truth, i've not been so crazy about the big hole front bearings which seem to get sloppier sooner than the regular 1/8" bearings. So if you are like me and want the long arms and just cannot wait until CRC has all the necessary conversion parts available,........a nice combo can be put together with available parts (that you probably have in you old parts bin anyway). Happy motoring. Love this car!!!! especially with the longer upper arms fitted to it.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #1057
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Any word on when those long pillow balls will be ready to ship? Might have to have some overnighted if they will indeed be ready on 11/1.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:38 PM   #1058
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smyka

front and rear widht ? if you mean track width i run full roar limit in the rear 6.75 and front i run jaco tires with two axle shims behind the inner bearing.. or if you mean tires i run small stuff 1.59 frotnas and 1.69 rears (jaco prizms)

also for frotn springs i like a soft suspension but i dampen it alot i use the ols trinity purple and red stuff mixed together on the king pins

if you have any other questions feel free to post them here or pm me

mark smyka
Old 10-29-2007, 03:07 PM   #1059
Tech Apprentice

Mark I was going to try your US Champs setup in two weeks at Minreg in Florida. I see that you use the graphite ride height adjuster, what molded adjusters would you use instead and would you change anything else for a big track.
IMTK422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:14 PM   #1060
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyka View Post
front and rear widht ? if you mean track width i run full roar limit in the rear 6.75 and front i run jaco tires with two axle shims behind the inner bearing.. or if you mean tires i run small stuff 1.59 frotnas and 1.69 rears (jaco prizms)

also for frotn springs i like a soft suspension but i dampen it alot i use the ols trinity purple and red stuff mixed together on the king pins

if you have any other questions feel free to post them here or pm me

mark smyka
Thanks Mark
Old 10-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #1061
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jesse Bean

recently aquired a gen x and just had to post this is the best 1/12 scale i've driven.
JBRC Products
Jesse Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #1062
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi gang,

Thanks for the nice words on the car and tires. We are really pleased with the performance and durability of the Gen-X. We had a dominant performance at the Gate with CRC cars and tires making up a major portion of the A-mains as well as the T.Q + win in 19 turn and T.Q. in modified.

The titanium long pillow balls are available here;

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...prodID=7718967

We had a good bunch of these available at the race from AB Charles.

We will have a full report of the Halloween race on the www.teamcrc.com site soon.

Thanks,
Frank
Team CRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:26 AM   #1063
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I see you guys are chatting bumpers a little while back. I just wanted to mention that I have some bumpers coming in CRC "red". The bumper was redesigned just a little so it will no longer need to be trimmed/sanded by the front suspension. It will drop right on the car. I should have them in about a week.

Brian
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:40 AM   #1064
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi all,
I've been driving my GenX for about 6 or 7 months now and I cant seem to get it driving as well as my old CK3.2R...
I have a problem to get enough mid- end steer out of the car...
I've tried just about everything but I just cant seem to find it.
I'm driving in Europe so carpet grip is medium to low and the tires are magenta all around (same combo as on my CK) and I'd like to keep those.

From what I see is that the chassis wont rotate enough so the front doesnt get the weight to the outer tire.
I'll post my setup later on, but like I said I almost tried everything but those Corally's at my track have way more steer then me no matter what I do.
(when I get the rear too stiff, the car isnt very stable so I didnt go harder then red sidesprings).
Its just as if its the front suspension where my problem lies, but its been put together accurately (2 x, I bought a complete set spare) and I'm already driving the 0.45 springs.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:43 AM   #1065
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
I see you guys are chatting bumpers a little while back. I just wanted to mention that I have some bumpers coming in CRC "red". The bumper was redesigned just a little so it will no longer need to be trimmed/sanded by the front suspension. It will drop right on the car. I should have them in about a week.

Brian
Thats awesome! Can't wait for these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quante View Post
Hi all,
I've been driving my GenX for about 6 or 7 months now and I cant seem to get it driving as well as my old CK3.2R...
I have a problem to get enough mid- end steer out of the car...
I've tried just about everything but I just cant seem to find it.
I'm driving in Europe so carpet grip is medium to low and the tires are magenta all around (same combo as on my CK) and I'd like to keep those.

From what I see is that the chassis wont rotate enough so the front doesnt get the weight to the outer tire.
I'll post my setup later on, but like I said I almost tried everything but those Corally's at my track have way more steer then me no matter what I do.
(when I get the rear too stiff, the car isnt very stable so I didnt go harder then red sidesprings).
Its just as if its the front suspension where my problem lies, but its been put together accurately (2 x, I bought a complete set spare) and I'm already driving the 0.45 springs.
Is it lacking steering out of every turn or just tight/hairpins?

Just a few things based on my own experience... plus you are running the same tires I am on (what sounds like) similar grip tracks.

Make sure you're running enough camber. At least 1 if not maybe 1.5. A SLIGHT coning of the tire wear is OK as long as it is the inside edge of the tire (in my opinion anyway). The camber will help the general steering of the car.

Pod "droop" is another good tuning aid for exit steering. With the car race ready (battery in with tires on) sitting on a flat surface I usually like between 1 - 2mm of uptravel. Check the car's ride height at the front of the pod... then lift the pod at the shock mount (pod side) and recheck ride heigh at the same place while holding the pod up. The car should not lift off the table when you do this, but the shock should stop.

This may be a silly question, but make sure there is no reverse rake in the car. As in, the front ride height should not be higher than the rear. In fact, I usually run at least .5mm higher in the rear than front. Don't get carried away though, cause if you go too high in the rear the rear pod will want to "tip" and the diff will slip off the turns as a result.

I don't know where your radio is set as far as how much steering/dual rate you have... but on our track (36' x 60') I set my steering by doing circles with the car at idle speed. The car will usually travel no more than 1/2 to 3/4 of the width of the straightaway. The track is mostly hairpins so I'm almost if not full lock through those turns and I want to make sure it has enough actual steering from the radio. If you don't have at least this much steering, try adding steering to your radio and then maybe going back a little stiffer on the front springs or less camber to keep the car from "hooking" in the middle of the turn.

I also soak the front tires all the way across as well as the rears. I'm also running red side springs which also helped steering on entry and exit. Oh heck with it... here is my setup if you want to try it... lol... This is in the Stock class with a 17.5 brushless FYI:

Front

-CRC Magenta full width soak
-.50 springs, dry kingpins
-10 blocks
-Caster: 2 back, 1 front.
- -1 camber
- 3.5mm ride height
- .5mm uptravel over ride height

Middle

-Servo mounted angled on top holes with tie-rods in bottom holes on servo-saver
-Batteries Back
-3.75mm - 4mm ride height measured at front of pod

Rear

-Magenta or Pink rears (depends on track grip) full soak
-4mm Ride Height
-Red Side Springs /w 2 turns of pre-load
-CRC White Cap (heavy) lube in dampeners
-30wt Oil
-Silver Center Spring

Parma Speed 8 body
Dual rate set for turning radius about 1/2 the width of the straightaway (maybe a 6ft. wide straight?)

Car was pretty decent. I'm a perfectionist so I'm still tinkering with it. Hope this helps.
CShearburn is offline   Reply With Quote