R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-31-2007, 03:57 PM   #706
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
LOL...I remember these. I had a set in my first ever 12th scale the TRC Pro12.

And it was Hyperdrive...if memory serves correctly.
yes this is true and hey i had that car too.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:15 PM   #707
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue247carz
I need to measure the tension of the side springs and see if there even too.

I will try all of your other tips and let you know!!
This may sound silly but does it do it with all of your tires? I got a set of tires one time that was mismarked at the factory. Both marked purple, one tire was 10 durometer softer than the other... whatever it was, was not a purple. I fought tweak and stuff on that one for quite a while before I figure out why the car hooked so hard the one direction.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:17 PM   #708
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik
Go slowly, and make one change at a time here.

Stiffer side springs shouldn't reduce front end grip.

Reducing tube fluid weight will make the chassis think (to a degree) it has softer springs, at least in transition.

Referencing Rich Chang's EXCELLENT 1/12 handling trouble-shooting sheet (pm me your e-mail address if you don't have this) "if the car isn't centering up fast enough use stiffer side springs". I have found this to be true, and generally enhanced steering a bit, or at least helped eliminate my on-power push problems with my 3.2R's.

Re-emphasize...make one change at a time as you sneak up on this.

Scottrik
Hi Scottrik, my email is [email protected]

I have just purchased the hudy balancing tools that go into the front and rear holes on the gen x. when I place the car on it does fall to the right hand side when looking from the front. I have the servo jutting out to the right with my speedo (lrp qps 15g + wires) and my reciever KO 302f and a capacitor on the left.
Do you think this would make much difference when the car has been de-tweeked on my MIP station?

I have just been messing with the configuration of the servo to spread the weight more to the left but I can't use the servo mounts on the left as the holes are not far apart enough for the servo to fit in between, so I have had to use double sided tape to hole the servo in. "does'nt seem a great idea I know but it balances the car out"

Paul
blue247carz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:37 PM   #709
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
This may sound silly but does it do it with all of your tires? I got a set of tires one time that was mismarked at the factory. Both marked purple, one tire was 10 durometer softer than the other... whatever it was, was not a purple. I fought tweak and stuff on that one for quite a while before I figure out why the car hooked so hard the one direction.
Bob,

I have 2 sets of purple fronts and 4 sets of rear greys and it's all the same.

It's got to be either a weight balance problem or something is out on the spring tensions!!!

The other thing I have noticed is when I remove the side tweek pods and the side dampers and just place the car on my MIP tweek station the car does lean to one side, but when I take it off and place it on my hudy balancing tools the car is balanced or near as it can be.

Whats all that about???
blue247carz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:52 PM   #710
Tech Elite

Quote:
Bob,

I have 2 sets of purple fronts and 4 sets of rear greys and it's all the same.

It's got to be either a weight balance problem or something is out on the spring tensions!!!

The other thing I have noticed is when I remove the side tweek pods and the side dampers and just place the car on my MIP tweek station the car does lean to one side, but when I take it off and place it on my hudy balancing tools the car is balanced or near as it can be.

Whats all that about???
On the little Hudy "spike" stands? If so, they tend to bind in the holes, you get a picture of what's happening, but it's not very accurate. Would work better with a smaller chassis hole.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:55 PM   #711
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

this is a problem that happens if the axle is not properly centered.be sure to check that the axle is shimmed so the axle is centered on the car at the outside of the hubs.this is very important
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:17 PM   #712
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
I have just been messing with the configuration of the servo to spread the weight more to the left but I can't use the servo mounts on the left as the holes are not far apart enough for the servo to fit in between, so I have had to use double sided tape to hole the servo in. "does'nt seem a great idea I know but it balances the car out"
As far as I'm concerned, DON'T try moving the servo--its location is pretty well fixed. The center of the servo output needs to line up with the chassis centerline. Period.

Your esc, though small, probably weighs more than your receiver. I run my esc's on the side the servo doesn't extend to and my my receiver on the side with "more servo".

If it's leaning I'd agree that implies the front end isn't built evenly. On the front ends of my Carpet Knives I've found that the IRS lowered bottom arms have about .020 difference in the height they hold the lower pivot balls. I'd gone on the blind assumption that since they were machining the molded part it would be even. Bad assumption. So I ended up chasing a similar uneveness for a lot longer than I care to admit, thinking the whole time I must have the kingpins shimmed wrong, etc.

I'll e-mail you that sheet.

Scottrik

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:23 PM   #713
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

sorry,i was not very clear on that.the rear axle is what i was referring to.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #714
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well I don't get on the forums enough I guess! I have been stewing lately about the fragile lower front arms. I push my driving and hit from time to time but most of the hits have me in disbelief that another lower arm has broken.

After I built the Gen X, I ran problem free for a month or so. Then I broke a lower arm and ordered more to have on hand... Even since then, they break when I crash, when I drive too close to a wall, or simply when I start to thread them. It seems to me that maybe the extra supply of plastics were maybe having some issues. Anyway, there is no reason these arms should break this easily, especially when threading them. That right there says they are defective in some way. They always crack at the screw holes.

If anyone else has noticed, if you look at the broken plastic center of a front lower arm, it is riddled with small air pockets... not sure if this is the problem but there shouldn't be air holes in these, or any, plastic parts.

I don't mean to condemn, but this issue needs to be addressed. Aside from this issue, I like the car very much (I bought 2). It handles better and smoother than the 3.2 and I love the control and adjustments that the new front end offers.
seabass2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #715
Suspended

When you check out part #CLN3247 at Horizon, it shows an arrival of "late February".

Hopefully, this indicates some adjustments are being made to the molds and/or slurry to fix this problem.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #716
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wishful thinking, but it's the same thing as the CRC arms (same part number too):
http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...prodID=7718918
CRC needs to change the plastic material soon.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #717
Suspended

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by James35
Wishful thinking, but it's the same thing as the CRC arms (same part number too):
http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...prodID=7718918
That's because they are exactly the same part.

CLN is Horizon's designator for Team CRC.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #718
Tech Adept

I've broken a few arms also. I did split one threading the "steel" screw in to prethread it. I have nailed the wall when I broke. I f the arms were tougher what would break instead?

p.s. James we should be brushless by next Friday.
Lextek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #719
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I am obviously not talking about solid wall hits. It is the very light ones and the threading with the given screw. I love the car. I just hope this arm can be strengthed somehow.
seabass2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #720
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to acyrier

Has anybody ran a brace between the 2 caster blocks. I noticed there is a hole there. Maybe that would help spread the impact between left and right vs. just one side taking all the load at impact? Just a thought.
www.fantomracing.com - www.discountrcstore.com
acyrier is offline   Reply With Quote