R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-20-2006, 11:03 AM   #181
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Anyone know a good starting point for the center shock up travel? I have about 1mm set right now (from level).

Also, any good starting point for front and rear track length? I noticed the rear (with kit tires) is at maximum 172mm and the front is about 165mm. Was looking at Blackstock's ride on rc50 and noticed it was spaced out a little.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #182
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well all I can say is CRC customer service is fast!! Today I just got in my graphite arms that I was missing!! Yes!!! Thank You guys!!

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #183
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to G Ace Send a message via Yahoo to G Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
What's gonna happen to CRC when all the XRay fangirls jump ship and start using the 1/12 car they're releasing soon? Will the team drivers be required to run the car? Wouldn't that pretty much gut CRC's core of drivers at big races?
Hopefully the CRC touring car will be out before the X-Ray 12th scale car is out, so the Team CRC drivers will be switching to the CRC sedan instead of the X-Ray 12th scale car.
G Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:21 PM   #184
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Ace
Hopefully the CRC touring car will be out before the X-Ray 12th scale car is out, so the Team CRC drivers will be switching to the CRC sedan instead of the X-Ray 12th scale car.
Very unlikely. No offense to Frank, I love his 1/12 cars, but he doesn't have the money or resources to compete with Xray.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:30 PM   #185
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to G Ace Send a message via Yahoo to G Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L
Very unlikely. No offense to Frank, I love his 1/12 cars, but he doesn't have the money or resources to compete with Xray.
Frank never had the money or resources to compete with Trinity either. Guess what car the Trinity drivers drive now???
G Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:34 PM   #186
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Ride Height Adjusters

Talking with Frank at the Halloween race, you will have to run AE or CRC adjusters. The new plates are made to a different tolerance making the IRS adjusters to small for them. Hopefully we will see some coming with finer height adjusments for the X.

TLR, Fantom, Horizon, Spektrum, Trackside
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:58 PM   #187
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Bought two kits. Received 'em last Thursday. Built one up Fri-Sat. Sold both Sunday. I'm sticking with my 3.2R's. Just too many little things that should never have been done--especially on a car with as long a gestation as this one had. I think it will be an awesome car, and the problems will (mostly) be solved over the next little while. I'm just not convinced (other than width at the chassis sides) it's a genuine improvement. Some elements are a bit less fiddley, like no more shimming kingpins (who could possibly miss that chore?) but all-in-all it's a narrower 3.2R.

Unfortunately for me, the guy who bought the built-up one is our club champ--so I'll be getting spanked with "my own" car the rest of the year

Scottrik
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:02 PM   #188
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik
Bought two kits. Received 'em last Thursday. Built one up Fri-Sat. Sold both Sunday. I'm sticking with my 3.2R's. Just too many little things that should never have been done--especially on a car with as long a gestation as this one had. I think it will be an awesome car, and the problems will (mostly) be solved over the next little while. I'm just not convinced (other than width at the chassis sides) it's a genuine improvement. Some elements are a bit less fiddley, like no more shimming kingpins (who could possibly miss that chore?) but all-in-all it's a narrower 3.2R.

Unfortunately for me, the guy who bought the built-up one is our club champ--so I'll be getting spanked with "my own" car the rest of the year

Scottrik
What supposed problems with the gen-x? Aside from IRS ride height adjusters not working mine is perfect and I kicked ass with it at a 2-day race last weekend.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:03 PM   #189
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Ace
Frank never had the money or resources to compete with Trinity either. Guess what car the Trinity drivers drive now???
Apples and oranges. I said money and resources, Trinity only had one of those. Money is nothing if you don't have the right people to do something with it.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:16 PM   #190
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Apples and oranges. I said money and resources, Trinity only had one of those. Money is nothing if you don't have the right people to do something with it.

Yea but Trinity is slowly building their Team back up with the Recent additions of Jeff Dayger and just this week Bobby Flack...Put those two with Mike Blackstock and Jilies Groskamp and that is a pretty darn good Mod team!!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:23 PM   #191
Tech Champion

The biggest "no-no" was the grub screws against the kingpin threads. That just isn't done, period. I was dismayed to see the front springs were different.Eric's "fix" of snipping a coil off will work, but remember that you're reducing the effective rate of the spring by doing so (this is by no means a "theoretical argument") AND it's a bear to get them close to the same free length (Mark Payne's recommendation of "within .0100 of each other is valid) isn't a task to be taken lightly.

What finally killed it for me was finding the 3/16" ID front axles. I'm WAY too invested in spares for earlier cars I guess. If it looked to me like it would be a half-second faster (or even a quarter) I'd have grinned and borne it. As it is, it MIGHT be a nick faster (remains to be seen) but I'm not convinced it's the right decision FOR ME. It is, undoubtedly, a well-made car and will suit a lot of people straight down to the floor. I think I'm going to race the hell out of my 3.2R's and build a Darkside Mx2 to try. Despite what CRC say...the Gen-X is still far more "evolutionary" than "revolutionary".

Scottrik
Old 11-20-2006, 11:25 PM   #192
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Yea but Trinity is slowly building their Team back up with the Recent additions of Jeff Dayger and just this week Bobby Flack...Put those two with Mike Blackstock and Jilies Groskamp and that is a pretty darn good Mod team!!

EA
When I said people I meant people like Juraj and Martin Hudy. The engineers behind Xray and their dedication to constanting improving the product until it's the best. That's what Trinity is lacking, they have always had talent driving for them.

With that said I don't want to take anything away from CRC. The new car is amazing. The new front end is awesome. Everyone I've showed the car to is like WOW.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:27 PM   #193
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Heck...Mike B. is a pretty darn good "team" all by himself!! We sure enjoyed having him out to race with us last March--a gentleman and a good sport, representing his sponsors with aplomb in action, word, and performance.

Now if someone would pick up that great unrecognized talent Mitch Witteman...

Scottrik
Old 11-20-2006, 11:28 PM   #194
Team EAM

Quote:
When I said people I meant people like Juraj and Martin Hudy. The engineers behind Xray and their dedication to constanting improving the product until it's the best. That's what Trinity is lacking, they have always had talent driving for them.

With that said I don't want to take anything away from CRC. The new car is amazing. The new front end is awesome. Everyone I've showed the car to is like WOW.
Ahh...got cha.... Your right there!!

Everyone will see how good the new car is this week in Cleveland Im pretty sure it will dominate the Stock and Mod class.

EA
Old 11-20-2006, 11:31 PM   #195
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik
The biggest "no-no" was the grub screws against the kingpin threads. That just isn't done, period. I was dismayed to see the front springs were different.Eric's "fix" of snipping a coil off will work, but remember that you're reducing the effective rate of the spring by doing so (this is by no means a "theoretical argument") AND it's a bear to get them close to the same free length (Mark Payne's recommendation of "within .0100 of each other is valid) isn't a task to be taken lightly.

Scottrik
The grub screw has been address already...They now have brass ones which will not damage the threads on the kingpin....Something that just was not in stock when they released the kits but is now.

The fix I had was just in a pinch. CRC has a complete line of springs for the front end I just didnt have any of them for this past weekend and needed something more. They had them in stock but Im a dummy and forgot to order them!! LOL

All your points are very legitimate and the one real problem has been addressed. The other's are just prefrence and to each his own.

EA