R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745
Default help centering weight

whats the easiest way to lower center gravity and to get weight distribution real good? and does a stiffer sway bar help with handleing?whats the best way to get all your stiff mounted closest to the center of the car as possible?

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy

center of gravity. is to keep the weight as close to the center of the car as posible..it think,? you think?
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Tech Elite

i know what center gravity is . i was wondering if anyone had a good way to make it better.a way to run things so it will have a batter cg then mounting everything on one side.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To lower the CG you have to think of everything above the center height of the car as bad things. Be sure your batteries are flush to the bottom of the chassis. Mount the electronics as low and as close to the centerline as possible with out rubbing the belt/shaft. Mount the transponder IN the bumper instead of on it. Don't stack the receiver on the servo if you have space issues, try standind it on it's side. Shoe Goo the electronics instead of double sided tape because it is thinner. With my Xray I cut off the mounting tabs on one side of my Futaba 9550 and moved it up against the aluminum post and as close to the center as I could without binding the linkage. Mount the receiver, flat if you can, and wires in if you can. The wires end is heavier than the other end and should go toward the centerline of the car. Mount the ESC with the same idea in mind. Use titanium screws everywhere but the chassis bottom, you want weight there. Lastly, unless you are using an airbrush, watch out for that paint job. The highest thing on your car is the body.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS
Impulse_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You ask some complex questions here. I wonder if you are confusing centre of gravity and polar momentum (mass centred about the axis of rotation)?

The question about the sway bar depends on what you are trying to achieve. A sway bar is a way to alter weight transfer and roll resistance during a turn indepedent of the spring rate. You can increase roll resistance and potentially weight transfer by a sway bar without having to increase the spring rate at the wheel. This may be beneficial on a rough track. The wheel spring rate is still low enough to allow sufficient wheel travel and keep the tire in contact with the surface and yet the chassis resists roll during the turn because of the sway bar linking one side of the chassis to the other. That why Lincolns and Cadillac have sway bars front and rear. They can then run light springs, yet still have acceptable handling. But none of this affect the centre of gravity. It just reacts like its lower, because the chassis resists leaning during the turn. But weight transfers nevertheless.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
Tech Elite

ok i got it all now. thanks alot. but quick question, is it safe to mount anything under the drive shaft? my novak reciever is only like 12mm tall and can fit under the drive shaft without having to raise my bettery. so everything would be flat on the chassis. i try to run all my small wires in between all my electronics now too. is that safe? putting them in the cracks between the spedo and reciever and servo?

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

Old 11-04-2006, 10:53 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer745
ok i got it all now. thanks alot. but quick question, is it safe to mount anything under the drive shaft? my novak reciever is only like 12mm tall and can fit under the drive shaft without having to raise my bettery. so everything would be flat on the chassis. i try to run all my small wires in between all my electronics now too. is that safe? putting them in the cracks between the spedo and reciever and servo?

Remember Murphy's Law "If it can happen, it will happen. Be practical in your mounting, keep stuff away from moving parts. If a wire looks in every way to be secure and safe, it will fight like hell to get loose and throw itself into your belts/shaft. So don't be over zealous. Zip ties are your best friends.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS
Impulse_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #8
Tech Elite

yeah all my wires are zip tied on one place or another. they are secure and away from moving parts. the only thing im actually worried about is mounting my reciever under my drive shaft. im not sure if it will be safe even though i have plenty of room under it.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

Old 11-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

There's always a chance that the driveshaft will bend in a hard collision. There's also a chance that another driver will T-bone you and destroy your electronics. If you don't mind the consequences of a POSSIBLE bent driveshaft hitting your receiver, then mount it wherever you want. If you're paranoid about that kind of stuff, don't mount it under the driveshaft. Keep the wires hidden and tucked away as well as possible. I prefer coils and shrink wrap to ugly zip ties.