R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-04-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745
Default glueing graphite?

is there a type of glue that will be safe to use on a carbon fiber or graphite chassis? i have both and im making some new parts to help center the gravity and weight better. but i want to glue some parts together, and dont know what type is safe to use

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

cyanoacrylate (CA) glues are certainly safe to use on graphite and carbon fibre. Since most glues rely upon mechanical adhesion, a roughing of the surface will improve the mechanical bite. Maximizing surface area on the joint will also increase the strength, as well a placing the joint in a stress in a sheer, rather than tension.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

I have used CA in the past with great success. You need to be quick in putting the pieces together and probably put the pieces in a vise to squeeze out the excess glue and to keep the pieces uniform in thickness. I've heard epoxy works well and is slower in curing, but haven't tried it.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Tech Elite

thanks. im bout to get some more CA anyways cause i need to mount some new tires. the only epoxy i have is for steal and hard plastic like gas tanks on a dirtbike. i only use it on full sized things with engines since it is so strong though.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just be careful.... with some composites CA reacts and emits a "smoke" which is very TOXIC!!!!! Do not breath these fumes.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #6
Tech Elite

haha. yeah i know. im just worried about it screwing my chassis.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

Old 11-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
Tech Elite

do yall know if gorilla glue would mess up graphite? i use it on basically everything, but im not sure if that would mess up graphite.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

Old 11-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Just a note epoxy is what is used to glue the graphite to gether originally however if you use a glue that is stronger then the epoxy to glue it together and the force applied to one piece is great enough you can basically force one of the grphite pieces to de-laminate. I would suggest screwing the pieces together with Ti buts and bolt if possble as it provide a better stronger junction since the graphite has already been epoxied and cured prior.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote