R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Mini - The 'EVIL' HPI X Pattern debate.

Many of you who have visited rc-mini.net will have read that HPI X patterns are our preferred tire for Minis. Good balance between grip/wear/and slide. They've always been the best compromise.

But over the last 12 months or so we've been noticing that some of them are just plain rubbish. Put a brand new set on a good-handling car and it all turns into crap.

So what's the deal? We think we know, but we don't know why.

Seems to us that the US/International tires (r/hand side of the pic with the larger header card) are just junk, while the Jap spec ones are the same as they used to be. We've conducted tests and each time the result is the same.
So, anyone else noticed this? And can anyone offer an explanation?

Last edited by tony gray; 08-06-2008 at 02:06 AM.
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray
Many of you who have visited rc-mini.net will have read that HPI X patterns are our preferred tire for Minis. Good balance between grip/wear/and slide. They've always been the best compromise.

But over the last 12 months or so we've been noticing that some of them are just plain rubbish. Put a brand new set on a good-handling car and it all turns into crap.

So what's the deal? We think we know, but we don't know why.

Seems to us that the US/International tires (r/hand side of the pic with the larger header card) are just junk, while the Jap spec ones are the same as they used to be. We've conducted tests and each time the result is the same.
So, anyone else noticed this? And can anyone offer an explanation?
Have you tried the RP30 and RP36 tires yet???
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
Tech Elite

We sure have, and.....we dont like em, at all.

For a start its really confusing that their numbering system is the exact opposite to normal (i.e. a 36 is SOFT and a 24 is HARD) and we just can't get them to work.
They're very inconsistent and we have loads of trouble with traction rolling when using them.
I hasten to add that this applies only to Aussie tracks. We've tried the very same tires in Singapore and in the stinking heat up there they're not quite so bad.

Tony
Old 11-07-2006, 02:40 AM   #4
Tech Elite

I would imagine the problem is that HPI's latest batch of tyres are of a slightly different compound (maybe deliberately, maybe by accident) and don't run so well. I would guess that these new tyres have only been put in the "international" packages. The "Japan" packages would be from an earlier batch.

I doubt very much that HPI would be running different compounds or different moulds for different markets. The number of mini-size X-patterns they are producing right now is so small that it just wouldn't be worth it.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:15 AM   #5
Tech Regular

i use pit shimizu tires, or kawada tires on tamiya wheels.

kawada makes awesome mini wheels, but too pricey! check this out

http://www.kawadamodel.co.jp/partslist/tire.html

TUM-25P and TUM-26P are the mini wheels, tires are TUM-01 to TUM-05
TENCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:33 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
I would imagine the problem is that HPI's latest batch of tyres are of a slightly different compound (maybe deliberately, maybe by accident) and don't run so well. I would guess that these new tyres have only been put in the "international" packages. The "Japan" packages would be from an earlier batch.

I doubt very much that HPI would be running different compounds or different moulds for different markets. The number of mini-size X-patterns they are producing right now is so small that it just wouldn't be worth it.
I know what you mean, and thats what we thought too. But...this problem has been ongoing for over 12 months now, more like 18 at least. And consistently the Jap Spec tyres work and the others dont.

I agree, surely they cant be doing different compounds for different markets, but right now thats where the difference in performance lies. Its one of the strangest things we've ever seen.

As for Kawada wheels, they look great, but too weak and break easily.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:46 AM   #7
Tech Addict

I don't know about the mini tyres but the touring size X-patterns come in 2 compounds, we always use the softer one.
I bought a new set this year and they were the same as my old ones handling wise.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:51 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Only one compound in the Mini ones. There is a choice of belted and unbelted but no-one uses the unbelted ones for racing...

I'd like to think that its just rotten luck with bad batches, but its a consistent trend over some time and with other people too, not just us.
I've lost count of the number of 'why is my car so crap on X Patterns' emails that we've had at rc-mini.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:54 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Tony, I found EXACTLY the same thing when I was using the mini X's back in 2003 or thereabouts. I got 2 batches of the Jap tyres and they both were fantastic. I then got one shipment of the US ones and they were, to put it bluntly, crap.

I thought I was going crazy but it fits in with what you're experiencing!

-Scott
ozoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:58 AM   #10
Tech Addict

It's quite possible that the jap ones are using the softer compound and they are making the US ones with the harder compound for some reason, who knows.

I'm guessing you would have already made sure people have all the tyres on the same way, there is a definite difference depending on what way they are rotating.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:02 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Thanks Scotty, its good to have it confirmed once again from someone else.

There are a lot of guys at Boronia (where I still race and Scott used to) who wont touch the X patterns now because of this problem.

Maybe they ARE doing the two compunds but just not telling us? Do I need to get a shore hardness meter onto some maybe? And would that help?

We've tried EVERYTHING. If the tyres are EVIL, then they're EVIL. Nothing we can do will make them work. Directionality, suspension chamges, NOTHING can fix them..
Old 11-07-2006, 05:56 AM   #12
H I
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I got Jap spec X-pattern but they don't work at all for me. I never tried US spec but TAMIYA 60D Type A or Pit shimizu works much better. Maybe rubber they use getting bad. I got my X-pattern in June 06 from japan.
H I is offline   Reply With Quote