R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-16-2003, 03:33 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default power supply?

what are they?are they what i think they are (plug in to a wall) or something different? i just getting into racing and have heard some people talking about power supply. are they neccisary for racing?
70mph pan car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:50 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Yes, you need one and probably already have one. A power supply is what gives power to a charger. Chargers need DC current to work. Some Pro and most sport chargers are AC/DC, which means that they have a AC to DC converter built in. This also means you can either plug them into the wall outlet, or you can power them with a power supply. DC only chargers require a power supply. RC power supplies are designed to give "clean" DC power, that is good for charging our batteries. They will run from $70-175. A good 10 amp power supply is all that most people need. You can get one from integy for ~$80. Another good power supply is the Rivergate Bulldog 15 amp. You can get one directly from Rivergate for under $100. www.rivergatedist.com
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 04:01 PM   #3
Tech Adept

i have a ac/dc charger that is digitla and all and at the track some people use extention cords and plugins but some have power supplys (like a turbo thing) so i just need to use the wall outlets @ the race track and not need to spend 100 on a special power supply.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:40 PM   #4
Regional Moderator
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

correct, if your charger has a 110v wall plug, you don't need a separate supply.
petzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 07:16 PM   #5
Tech Adept

cool, but why would some not have a ac plug in? by the way my charger will only alow 3amps max on ac and but 5a on dc,y?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:01 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
why would some not have a ac plug in
Chargers are much more efficient on DC current, also adding the supply inside the case makes for a bigger unit and it will run hotter which makes it even less efficient..

Quote:
my charger will only alow 3amps max on ac and but 5a on dc,y?
Either the internal P/S is crappy or it gets really hot..... maybe both, but you will notice a very big difference if you stop using the wall outlet and start using an external P/S......

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote