R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2003, 12:27 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Hi Cole,

Here's my thoughts and observations on the subject.
I'll use the TA04 as an example.

While the standard planetary gears do feel very smooth on the TA04 in reality I think they are not as smooth as the Ball diff option IF the Ball diff is adjusted properly.
I suppose if you look at the design of the two you can see that the standard planetary gear diff has cast metal gears which create a lot of friction due to all those teeth meshing and the fact that the 3 smaller bevel gears sit on a metal shaft and rotate without and form of bearing etc. There are a lot of surfaces coming together.
In the case of the Ball Diff you have a much less complicated design with only very small surfaces (a very small part of each steel ball) coming in contact with Very smooth steel plates. The result being very little friction. Once the ball diff is broken in and adjusted properly I think there can be little doubt of its advantage over the regular diff. The only trade off is higher maintainence..

As far as weight goes, in the case of the TA04 the ball diff unit weighs considerably less than the standard planetary diff.
I am sure the weight difference will vary from car to car but in most cases I think you will find the Ball diff weighs a fair bit less..

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 05:50 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Steevo- you make a few god points, however your thinking is a little off.... The friction inside of a diff isn't going to effect efficiency of the car the way a busted bearing does.... Fricion is actually the freind of your differential.... without any friction inside of the diff you don't get the "diff" action.

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 06:25 AM   #18
Tech Elite

After some months with ball diffs, I'm now happy with them.

I dont believe in them as an adjustment option, I think it's better to do it somewhere else. Simply because loosen a diff, is loosen power that are better transferred to the wheels.

My diffs aint got tungsten balls, but I believe that will add extra smoothness, when it's time for chaninging balls and rings.

My graphite diff hubs are back ordered
Old 05-16-2003, 07:57 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I love it how everyone says "Loosen this diff" . Well I always set my ball diffs so that they are the loosest they an possibly be w/o slipping...... I always tghten the opposite diff, I always keep my front diff 1/8th turn tighter than the rear.........

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:09 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Steevo- you make a few god points, however your thinking is a little off.... The friction inside of a diff isn't going to effect efficiency of the car the way a busted bearing does.... Fricion is actually the freind of your differential.... without any friction inside of the diff you don't get the "diff" action.
Hi IMPACTPLAYR,
I understand what you are saying and you are totally right in the case of the Ball Diff. The ball diff requires the friction of the plates sandwiching the balls to make it work.
In the case of the standard Planetary diff it does not "require" the friction to work as such because it has the teeth in the gears which mesh which in turn make the whole thing work.

After more careful thinking and taking in your points, I agree that In the end a ball diff is no more "efficient" than a standard planetary diff it is just more adjustable.
I did find though that the weight difference between ball diff and Standard diff was considerable and when teamed with lightweight outdrives there was a noticeable increase in performance due to less rotating mass.

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:43 PM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

I love the xray ball difs. That combo with the carbide balls and the laberinth covers keeps the clean all season long. They're very smooth too and you can adjust them for the driving style that you prefer.
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote