R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #181
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've heard a lot of good things about the packs from MaxAmps. Just be sure to take care with them, I do believe the cells they use are more volatile, and can lead to a fire if they're not treated properly. Read up on the MaxAmps site, I believe they suggest charging and storing the batteries in a container that could contain a fire, so I don't know that gluing it to your car is the best idea.

I store all my packs in a Liposack between race days, just to be safe. The Orion packs are notorious for being extremely safe, but I figure it's a god precaution with any type of battery.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:43 PM   #182
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Anyone buy lipo from maxamps.com ? are they good batteries ?
I have the max amps 6000 and have had no problems. A few others have them also and no problems. In fact a guy has a 4000 and has dented the crap out of it and it still is going fine. Now I know you should probably discharge it and throw away but he hasn't. Actually it looks like they have gone to better cells since I bought mine (price and amp draw numbers have gone up). I'd say the 8000 might be a little overkill unless you have a need to run 45 min straight.... but its the physical size I would be careful of. The 6000 is closest to the size of a 3800-4200 pack but it is a pretty close fit in a lot of cars because it does not fit into the battery slots but must sit on top of them. The 8000 definitely will not fit in an RDX or Cyclone. A buddy has an MSX/MRE and I'm not sure my 6000 will even fit. Do some measurements to make sure.

Quote:
Read up on the MaxAmps site, I believe they suggest charging and storing the batteries in a container that could contain a fire, so I don't know that gluing it to your car is the best idea.
I've seen those same kind of warnings on several lipo sites. If any lipo does flame up it could get nasty. But it seems if you treat them properly the risk is minimal. 3 months and going well with my Max Amps pack.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:55 PM   #183
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Deleted

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:19 PM   #184
Tech Lord

http://www.liposack.com/
Old 11-29-2006, 05:30 PM   #185
Tech Master

Hi Guys,

Got back from the race after an emergency landing in AZ and several hours of delays.

UN posted a page back about running fresh bonded VS a Sintered. The Sintered is still way faster.

The rpm diffference in the Bonded is all there is, no power gain, just RPM under no load.

I'll be back in the afternoons when Time permits. My next event is first part of January. If any of you are in the WI area, there will be a Rubber Tire 13.5 class at the US Touring Champs (Novak Race)

Thanks
Charlie
Old 11-29-2006, 06:24 PM   #186
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
I ran the GQ carpet tires tonight and had a MUCH better experience in terms of tire wear. In spite of the goofy orange rims, I've consistently felt these are the best quality tires I've used. They don't come unglued, they wear nice, and they don't chunk easily. They even ran well once I changed my setup to suit them. I don't know if they're a disadvantage at the top levels, but I put in my fastest runs with them tonight, and didn't have any of the recent headaches I've had with the Parmas and Jacos that wear down so quick, especially up front.
glad to see you tried the Nitro foams. the only way i could tell the difference: was cut them to the same size and swap from heat to heat, 2 runs each on a race day. i found the electric foams to be more consistent on carpet about 1-3 tenths faster overall. the nitro foams were far better/cheaper than rubber tires on the same ozite you guys run. they were also the closest to carpet foams in performance.

Team CRC website explains out the differences of foams
http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...article&sid=27
fast-ho-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #187
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
glad to see you tried the Nitro foams. the only way i could tell the difference: was cut them to the same size and swap from heat to heat, 2 runs each on a race day. i found the electric foams to be more consistent on carpet about 1-3 tenths faster overall. the nitro foams were far better/cheaper than rubber tires on the same ozite you guys run. they were also the closest to carpet foams in performance.

Team CRC website explains out the differences of foams
http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...article&sid=27
Actually, GQ makes carpet foams now.

http://www.competition-rc.com/catalo...php?pages_id=8

I run red/tan up front and tan in the rear. If you can get used to how they grip (which is just fine, only required harder rear springs for me) there's no way you can't be happy with the quality. They don't peel away from the rim, and the wear is phenomenal. They also seem much less prone to chunking. I couldn't be happier... unless I got them for $10/pair.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #188
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Chalie. your right and your post saved me 100.00 dollars.
I've been leaning towards the sentered rotor for some time.
I finally put it to some serious runs and have desided it will be the only rotor I run from now on. I say one more time thats why I apreciate your post they really do help people to decide for themselve with an educated desision.
I was up against a pro last night and ran it. He was fast but not faster I'm still working on that one though he kinda defied logic check the fastlane thead sometime.
POST # 7784.
LATER
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:18 PM   #189
Tech Lord

Well syndrome I think I finally am figureing it out bear had to gear to run cool. But that was the max he could put out. His rpm had no load power. In theory, I should only have to gear about 3 teeth taller to be approximatly 1 tooth taller. I guess it will take a little more figureing but I'm close. Next week I'm going to exsperiment with different profiles. It feels like I could get a little more punch if I work with it. I think the 31 or 32 roll out is there though.
Top end was good.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:39 PM   #190
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Well syndrome I think I finally am figureing it out bear had to gear to run cool. But that was the max he could put out. His rpm had no load power. In theory, I should only have to gear about 3 teeth taller to be approximatly 1 tooth taller. I guess it will take a little more figureing but I'm close. Next week I'm going to exsperiment with different profiles. It feels like I could get a little more punch if I work with it. I think the 31 or 32 roll out is there though.
Top end was good.
I'm gonna try 34 and 35MM next week and see how it goes.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:52 PM   #191
Tech Lord

Do they make pinions that big?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:59 PM   #192
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Actually, GQ makes carpet foams now.

http://www.competition-rc.com/catalo...php?pages_id=8

I run red/tan up front and tan in the rear. If you can get used to how they grip (which is just fine, only required harder rear springs for me) there's no way you can't be happy with the quality. They don't peel away from the rim, and the wear is phenomenal. They also seem much less prone to chunking. I couldn't be happier... unless I got them for $10/pair.
How do the rims hold up? I've been using the BSR tires and I keep cracking the rims. The price is right to at least give them a shot.

I take it this class is being run indoor?

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:06 PM   #193
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan
How do the rims hold up? I've been using the BSR tires and I keep cracking the rims. The price is right to at least give them a shot.

I take it this class is being run indoor?
We're running indoor carpet with foam tires. As far as rims go, I've never broken one. But, I've never broken a Jaco or Parma rim, either. I guess my answer would be I don't really know, but I haven't noticed a problem.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:07 PM   #194
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Do they make pinions that big?
No idea, I might need to find a smaller spur. I could do like Bill, and grind the can of my motor with a dremel so I can fit bigger gears on it. :-D
Old 11-29-2006, 11:10 PM   #195
Tech Lord

Those wheels are thicker than any other spokes I've ever seen.
I guess you didnt see how much he dremeled out of his chassis.