Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Official 4300 Brushless/LiPo/Foam Touring Thread >

The Official 4300 Brushless/LiPo/Foam Touring Thread

The Official 4300 Brushless/LiPo/Foam Touring Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Just a note for you guys on this thread you may want to check out the Vidoes posted from this weekends Japanese Nat's. The worlds top drivers running 4 cells and Mod motors. Some interesting things besides them going VERY slowly around the track is the fact that they are runninf 18 degrees of timing on there motors and with sub-C's some are now using four chargers or $400 dollar chargers to charge each cell individually to get the most power because that is what is takes. LOL

I see two directions one 4 Cell NiMH and Mod Brushed and the other I see 4300 BL and Li-Po both now going almost the same speed but you guys are definitely now spending much less and are having to deal with far less hassles for the same results.

Kind of makes you wonder?
Old 11-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

That sheds some light on the true nature of 4 cell sedan racing, huh? Wasn't that being touted as the holy grail a few weeks ago?
Old 11-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

been there done that.......

I don't race oval anymore..........LOL
Old 11-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FreqETag
Just an update and a request....

Update: I finally found the top end of the gearing range for the 4300. Once you hit it, you get this interesting lag or pause when coming out of the turns. I'll credit syndr0me for clueing me in as to what it was. I thought my diff was slipping. Wild. Ok, time to gear down a half a tooth
What was your final drive or rollout at when things started to act funny?

Also what is the maximum temp on speedo/motor before I should back off a tooth.I am geared to the freaking moon and my motor is coming off the track about 115 and the speedo at about 89.Can I add 2 teeth?
Old 11-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by racenut123

Also what is the maximum temp on speedo/motor before I should back off a tooth.I am geared to the freaking moon and my motor is coming off the track about 115 and the speedo at about 89.Can I add 2 teeth?
What rotor are you using? If it's the sintered in a 4300, don't go by heat, go by how it feels. We've never seen one get hot enough to matter, so it seems to work better if you gear it until it doesn't feel right. On our medium-sized carpet track, with the sintered rotor, 32.5 to 33MM feels about right for me. Eventually, the motor will start to feel a little laggy as you apply throttle, so you might want to back off a tooth when that happens and go from there.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racenut123

5.2 at the last race. I'm not saying it will stay there but I haven't thermalled yet.....and it is FAST!!! I am thinking 5.8 or 5.7 is a great compromise gear.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hey everybody, small Lipo question... I have a MaxAmps 6000 Lipo. This week I dented the corner in a crash. The bottom now has a small bulge. Do you think I smoked the battery? I don't even know how it happened. I don't want to take a risk charging it. My car or track or house is worth more to me then a $80 battery. I run the 4300 in a TA05 on rubber tire. I run the Lipo when we don't run for points. I love the Lipo/brushless combination. I'm worried that this accident may discourage our club from fully embracing Lipo. I should have bought the Orion 3200 with the hardshell case. But that's another conversation... Any insight would be appreciated and thanks.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation

Don't charge it!

If it is dented anywhere, leave it alone. OUTSIDE. NOT in the garage, OUTSIDE.

Its too risky to chance. If you have doubts I can show you links and pictures of several very smart people who tried it and lost.

Keep in mind, LiPo packs are much safer now than the EVER have been, but they can still catch fire.

Contact Clint at MaxAmps, he's a great guy and might be able to help you or save you a buck or two on a new pack. Email: [email protected]

Good luck
Old 11-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Lord

Don't discharge it either, and put it somewhere that it can't do any damage right this very second. There's been plenty of cases where damaged packs don't "do their thing" until a while after the damage has occurred. Stick it in a bucket of sand or something, outside away from anything flammable. And definitely give Clint a ring to see what he thinks.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks guys. I'll get it outside tonight. I'll take some pictures of it and email them this week to see what they think.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cvt01
Thanks that's why I asked

So according to fast-ho-cars response thats what I should buy:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNLZ1&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGJ4&P=7
Could somebody confirm that those are direct fit in the 4300 before I go out and buy stuff.

I know that this wont win races but to have a chance to keep up with the rest your equipment should be equal and then you can't blame anything else but your setup and driving skills if you suck...

There is a strong advantage of the Sphere over the GTB: it has built in low voltage cut-off
Yep that's the right stuff. Geared right you won't give up as much on the straights as you get back in the infield!
Old 11-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
Thanks guys. I'll get it outside tonight. I'll take some pictures of it and email them this week to see what they think.
I've run my lipos for about 9months now,twice a week all through the summer and now into TC season at least twice a week. We've seen them swell from over dischargeing (not mine , but another friends), the aluminum casing split (from very hard crashes), I have opened a pak at the connections to resolder a connection. My point is with all of these things we've never had a fire. We have two cells which were ruined from overdischarging and still no fire.I'm not saying it can't happen but it's not as likely to happen as others seem to think. I would contact Austin @ max amps but would be willing to bet your battery is still safe and can continue to be used.I'm no expert here but run an outdoor track in SW michigan in the summer months that promotes the use of BL-lipos, and this is some of the first hand experiences I've had. I'd be more worried about mischarging them and extremely over discharging them.
Fma direct shows testing done on them and explosion testing if you'd like more info. Check out FMAdirect.com Be Blessed, Kingskid
Old 11-20-2006, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Why risk it?

A list of people that pushed their luck.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

It sounds like the impact dented your cell which caused a short remember the packet is only incased in shrink wrap so imagine the foil outer wraps being punched in toward the copper matrix inside the gel. Also a swelling battery is a good sign that it is not doing well. I am not sure what the cell quality is in the cell you speak of but I would not risk it and would contact the manufacturer as stated by some others on this thread.

They may tell you to submerge the cells in salt water to make then inert.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default 19 faster lap times

We run 19 and 4300 together. I have seen the 19's run .5 sec faster on our 48'x72' carpet track. On Asph. the 19's are faster as well.

My 2 cents
Jack

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.