R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-30-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default good carpet tourer for beginner

Im fairly new to touring, really havent raced touring in about 5 years. Im looking to get a good carpet car and not spend a ton of money. however I will be going against some fierce comp, so any suggestions will be helpful. Oh will be racing on foams
Old 10-30-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

T2R; all the features of the T2 with molded chassis & top deck. Then if you get more involved in racing, you can easily up grade the molded pieces to carbon with Xray parts, or aftermarket parts like BMI.

One other major plus to the T2R is that it can be upgraded to the 007, so when / if you do upgrade, your not stuck with last years model.

If your looking to get a full blown race chassis, there are tons of options, and you will get tons of answers / opions. Always best to get a chassis that has support from the LHS or track.

Last edited by A. Rhodes; 10-30-2006 at 06:04 PM.
A. Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Z.Hallett

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Rhodes
T2R; all the features of the T2 with molded chassis & top deck. Then if you get more involved in racing, you can easily up grade the molded pieces to carbon with Xray parts, or aftermarket parts like BMI.

If your looking to get a full blown race chassis, there are tons of options, and you will get tons of answers / opions. Always best to get a chassis that has support from the LHS or track.
Andy is right about the T2R. you can upgrade it to the BMI chassis later down the road. also there is tons of info and parts are out there. that would be a great choice for a beginer car.

-Zac
Z.Hallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Tech Champion

yeah I thought abput the t2r. But how will the composite material work on carpet? Do you guys think a used fk05 would be better
Old 10-30-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

At first I thought you were talking about going new... I am a fan of the FK04. However, if all that is on the market at the time is the 05, I'd say do that. I have been told by people (national caliber drivers) that have kept up with the latest cars that X-ray and Corally have to offer, and that the 04 was still their favorite. The only thing that I fear with a chassis this old (?) is parts availability down the road.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

No reason the composite wouldn't work on carpet. I'd say go with the t2 over an older one.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:21 AM   #7
Tech Addict

If I were you, I would buy a used car from a local driver, so you can have some feedback about the car and already have a good setup for your local track. That saves you a lot of time and frustration.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:26 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana
Im fairly new to touring, really havent raced touring in about 5 years. Im looking to get a good carpet car and not spend a ton of money. however I will be going against some fierce comp, so any suggestions will be helpful. Oh will be racing on foams
I think you need a verry stiff car,
maby with a 4mm bottom plate.

Tamiya has a special lower deck for the 415 MSX.

Setup from a local is alway the best start,
and buying the same modal as a local helps exchange spare parts.
OscarF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:42 AM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Buy a car where you can easily get parts locally. Touring is hard, and people break a lot of parts when they're starting out. If XRay parts are in abundance there, go for a T2R. If you've got lots of Corally, try a used carpet spec RDX. If you can only buy Associated parts, pick up a cheap FTTC4 as a starter car, they're on sale now for, like, free I think. The car you start with is going to get abused, and won't be the car you end with if you stay with touring, and your skills improve. Something cheap and easily fixable is the way to go starting out.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Thanks for the advise guys. I'll probaly just end up getting a used roller.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default If your running foam tires on carpet just get a CRC upper deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana
yeah I thought abput the t2r. But how will the composite material work on carpet? Do you guys think a used fk05 would be better
Or Xray came out with a aluminum parts that stiffens the upper deck. Check their website for the part. The Xray T2R is a great choice and fiber glass is almost as stiff as the cf. T2R's has to be the best bang for your buck with lots of setups and Pro help. It's great on carpet and carpet with rubbers. Just my oppinion.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:03 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Default curve ball

can I throw a tangent into your thread?

Me and my two boys got into sedan racing on carpet after three years of electric off road. We've been racing sedans on carpet for about 1.5 years. We initially had 3 TC3's and loved them. BUT...they broke alot. I just recently went to Xrays...two FK04's and one FK05. As someone else mentioned above I got them from an upper-end A main racer with a ton of parts because the guy recently moved to being sponsored by another manufacturer. We love the Xrays and they just don't break anywhere near how the TC3's did.

Here's my tangent:

I also just picked up a used RC12L4 from a different really good racer. I had never used a 1/12th scale before a few weeks ago. The thing just runs great...it's fast even with a a stock motor, compared to TC racing and it takes a heck of alot of abuse. It seems it's more resilient to breakage than a touring car. If I had known the a 1/12th scale was this fun and easy to drive and had this little maintenance I'd have just gone and ran three twelve scales for all of us when we started racing on carpet.

If you have others who run 1/12ths on race day you might think about it. A ton of race time for your racing dollar....three 8 minute qualifiers and an 8 minute main...that's a ton of track time. Also a lot less money spent on electronics and batteries.
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Default oops

oops
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:40 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

You can find a used XXXSG+ on here or Ebay. Losi parts are avail. everywhere. Chances are a local hobby shop/track will have more Losi/Ass. parts than any other car made overseas. Find out what your track carries and go from there. You could also plan ahead and get the spares you think you'll need if you go with a car thats not gonna have parts readily avail.
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:03 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Yeah I can get a xxxs grapite plus, really cheap from a local racer. Or, i can get a xray fk04 for about the same price. Which of those would you guys think I'd be better with. Can you still get fk04 parts?