zxt
Tech Regular

Exclamation JR XR3, 3PDF or Lynx 3d

I'm thinking of getting an FM radio...here are my choices:

JR XR3 -> Bnew with 2 servos and receiver = $145

3PDF -> 1 month used, no servos, receiver only = $112

Lynx 3D -> 2 months used, no servos, receiver only = $150

well?

Last edited by zxt; 11-09-2001 at 12:47 AM.
zxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 04:04 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The lynx 3d or the pdf. But I'd say get the lynx 3d because it has everything. The pdf dosn't have abs and some other functions and the lynx has the possibility to work wiith the spectra module if you upgrade. If it's possible hold them in your hands and see which one feels better and is more natural/comfortable before you buy. Good luck.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 04:36 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Caddzilla Send a message via AIM to Caddzilla Send a message via Yahoo to Caddzilla

I have the JR XR3. It is a good radio with 3 model memory. But in the end the choice is yours. Try and pick the one that best suits your needs. Good luck.
Caddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 06:31 AM   #4
zxt
Tech Regular

Default lets say

I'm thinking of concentrating on 2 to 5 cars max...

Also I'm looking into the PDF bec. its the cheapest and its in very good condition...

fatdoggy: why not the JR?

Any pros and cons?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2001, 06:43 AM   #5
zxt
Tech Regular

Default le me add

how bout the KO Propo EX1? someone is selling it for $75, dunno the condition tho...
Old 11-09-2001, 06:49 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

I have used all three radios. They each have thier own strong points. I am little hesitant to buy radio equipmet used, but that is probably a carryover from my flying... The XR3 is great radio, just does not have some of the features the other two do. I have an XR2 and XR3. Never a glitch....ever. I am on the fence myself whether to get the Lynx or an R1... Futaba is the standard in the radio market that all other want to be... they have great products.

I agreee with Fatdoggy, try holding each one if ya can... Nobody likes a Radio that does not fit properly.

Remember this... see what other people are running around you.... as if I can recall correctly JR FM does not use the ssame crystals as a Futaba FM...

I think it all boils down to this....
Do you want a brand new radio with 2 servos ?
Which radio is comfy for you ?
What feature do you have to have ?
How many memories do you need ?
Do any of the radios have a feature that is a must have... that the other do not. ? Like ABS ?
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 07:47 AM   #7
zxt
Tech Regular

Default I checked out

the Propo EX1 thru its website and it seems a very good radio...

Well...2 servos is very nice than getting just a TX and RX only

I cant answer this question right now but my Megatech Jr seems nice to hold

uhm...maybe ABS...3-5 model memory...any extra features is a plus

3-5 I guess

Do any of the radios have a feature that is a must have... that the other do not. ? Like ABS ?
I dont think its a must but its a definite plus...

Oh by the way the guy selling the Lynx 3D lower his price to $140...but the $75 EX1 is a steal right?
Old 11-09-2001, 07:52 AM   #8
zxt
Tech Regular

Default I checked out

the Propo EX1 thru its website and it seems a very good radio...

Well...2 servos is very nice than getting just a TX and RX only

I cant answer this question right now but my Megatech Jr seems nice to hold

uhm...maybe ABS...3-5 model memory...any extra features is a plus

3-5 I guess

I dont think its a must but its a definite plus...

Oh by the way the guy selling the Lynx 3D lower his price to $140...but the $75 EX1 is a steal right?
Old 11-09-2001, 08:47 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Those are some pretty good prices on the PDF and XR3. Don't think you can go wrong either way. I just got my XR3 in this week ($170). Holding a radio is very important. I bought this one blind and I'm not sure if it feels as balanced as the M8 (haven't picked up my friends in a while).
I'm getting some grip tape for a tennis raquet and wrapping it around (long fingers). Also putting some rubber on the trigger for a snugger fit. I would have to do this with any radio I would get just to customize it for me. Don't see too many others that do this though.....Anyone out there ?
ScottPro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 09:16 AM   #10
zxt
Tech Regular

Default tsk tsk tsk

I just contacted the guy selling the EX1 and its not the Mars version...its the analog version...I didn't know there's an analog version of EX1...I checked out the KO website and there's no EX1 analog...so drop the EX1 analog for now....
Old 11-09-2001, 09:46 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Considered buying a Mars. It adds up though. Like $230 for the radio w/ reciever. Then another $100 or so for a digital servo. Over $300 and that's just for 1 car. 2nd car will need another reciever/servo...$150 - $200. depending on what you want.
ScottPro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 09:14 PM   #12
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Can anyone give me more

insights?

Some say Hitec radio wont last that long...I mean previous hitec owners swears them...I just dont know if the quality improves on the Lynx 3d....

What about the 3PDF and the XR3? Which has the most features?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2001, 09:56 PM   #13
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: lets say

Quote:
Originally posted by zxt
I'm thinking of concentrating on 2 to 5 cars max...

Also I'm looking into the PDF bec. its the cheapest and its in very good condition...

fatdoggy: why not the JR?

Any pros and cons?

Thanks
I've have a XR2 which is the same as the XR3 except the XR3 is fm and has a 3 model memory, it's a nice radio but the pdf is better, it has expo adn in your case is actually cheaper. The servos that you get with (new) radio's are not normally very good, there about 44 ounces in and .22sec's/60degrees(futaba 3003 specs) which is ok for play but if your racing you'd usually want something a little faster(note-hitec has some cheap servos that are decient) you can find the hitec servo specs at http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ht&man=hi-tec Near the bottom of the page. Hitec servos are about half the price of some other companies and are decient reliable units(or so I've heard) If you do buy a radio without servos I would suggest you buy a servo with dual ball bearings, and metal gears(for reliability) and some decient specs, it will last you a long time. O and if you like the pdf go for it cause you can easily live without the added fetures of the lynx (unless your a psyhco die hard racer) and for $112 you can't loose, plus if people around you have had problems then maybe it's not a good idea. Go for the radio that YOU like better and that has the bast customer support. Good luck.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 11-09-2001 at 10:12 PM.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 01:15 AM   #14
Tech Regular

3D definately....... only because i have used both and the 3D does the job a little better, is easier to use and has a better feel to it than the Xr3.....
opel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 08:43 AM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Fat Doggy is right on the Servos... OK ones... Not top notch racing servos... But then again, I never had a servo just laying around.. usually find a home for it. As far as Hitec equipment... I have used Hitec exclusively in my aircraft for years.... not one problem related to the hitec stuff. I will always give a vote of confidence on Hitec FM quality
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote