R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2003, 02:44 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default this should be good......

So, can someone finally tell me? One-way diffs on the front......yes or no??? I usually race on a tight, lots of sharp turns track...But in general are they better or not????
teamsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 03:18 PM   #2
Tech Elite

There is no yes and no.

It all depends on the track and the driver.

On a grippy, open track, a one way can often be quicker

On a tight, slippy track, a diff can often be better.

But it's really something you've got to try - I don't really get along with them myself, others swear by them.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 05:37 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I just tried a one-way diff on my TC3, and it made the rear very loose on the turns. I chose to use the one way because I wanted more steering power exiting the corners, thus I accomplished the exit speed I needed with the one way but all the adjustments couldn't stabilize my rear end.

I also realized that the Monster Horsepower motor didn't help my situation either because when I slow down near the turns, it tends to push the car forward, thus breaking my rear end.

I chose to go back to a diff since the turns are somewhat tight at my track but most of the fast guys are running one way.

I'm faster with the regular diff so I'm choosing to shelf the one way until I learn to drive better.
SpeedChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 07:05 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Smile

Speedchair - adjust your speedcontrol so that the motor does not put any drag on the drivetrain in neutral or set your transmitter throttle trim so that the car will roll forward slightly in neutral. That should keep the rear of the car more planted then you'll really be able to see what a different a one-way can make.
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 09:06 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Generally with a oneway you want to change your setup slightly from a diff. The misconception about oneways only being good for big open tracks is just that, a misconception. More corner speed is better for any track, and thats what a oneway will give you if you can drive it.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:11 PM   #6
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by Axiom5B
Generally with a oneway you want to change your setup slightly from a diff. The misconception about oneways only being good for big open tracks is just that, a misconception. More corner speed is better for any track, and thats what a oneway will give you if you can drive it.
Very true...One ways are even more deadly on a tight technical track. Think about it...everyone says one way gives you higher cornering speed...more corners on a technical track meaning lower lap times. It simply depends if you can handle the one-way because it is not everyones cup of tea!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote