R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-26-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)
Default Can't get a clean cut with my Integy super lathe 3, any help?

Hey guys,

I just got another lathe here after a while without one, and I can't get a clean cut with this thing. It keeps scouring the comm, really nicking it up. I never had this issue with my previously lathe with was a cheapo and always used the carbide bit, just sharpened it.

Anyone got any idea what I can look into to fix this?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:29 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Are you sure the cutter on the lathe is any good?

If not check that the mechanism moves smoothly (if it sticks mid-sweep it could catch), and try a little cutting lubricant.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:58 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Also, check for any play in the guides. What I do before I make a cut is give the mill head(or whatever it is called,) a good twist. If it has any play in it, you need to tighten the little setscrews that adjust the teflon shims in the guides. I usually take the whole thing apart and clean it with some motor spray and readjust everything about every 10-15 cuts. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Just a quick question. How do you know you have cut the comm correctly. I have the Integy Auto Lathe with a diamond bit, although the cut seems to be perfect, on close in spection I find that there are 4-5 symetrical ring around the comm. They are hardly noticable but I still have no idea if I have cut the comm correctly. Any tips would be great!

Maybe I should put a picture up of the comm when I have cut it?

Naut
Nautilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

70% of the time your guides (either V or bearing) are not square to the cutting base. These three plates must all be square I.E. 45* of each other to get an effective cut.

I let one of my friends barrow my lathe for a couple days to cut his comms as he had a bunch to get done & I had no time to do it for him.
Apperently he dropped it and didn't tell me. After two cuts that looked kind of off, I sent one back in to EA to have him do his magic on the motor can and what not as the motor had started to fade after 3mins on the track.
He informed me that my lathe was out of square and causing coning of the comm. Not good at all for performance. So if your are sure your guides are all square and your still getting chuncky bits, tear apart your lathe, clean and relube the bits where its needed & Get a high quality diamond bit. I bought a HUDY bit for my HUDY lathe and both have worked flawlessly ever since...Oh please don't ask to borrow my lathe...I'd sooner cut your comm for ya...LOL

-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gsracer

are sure your motor is going in the right dirrection
gsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
are sure your motor is going in the right dirrection
This is what we have found wrong when ours does the same thing.
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilian
Just a quick question. How do you know you have cut the comm correctly. I have the Integy Auto Lathe with a diamond bit, although the cut seems to be perfect, on close in spection I find that there are 4-5 symetrical ring around the comm. They are hardly noticable but I still have no idea if I have cut the comm correctly. Any tips would be great!

Naut
You may get a slight ring on your comm if your cutting speed varies. I'm not farmiliar with your lathe, but I am a machinist. If there is any change or pause in your cross cut feed or the rpm of your comm, there will be a slight difference in finish. Speed and feed = surface finish. If you change either variable your finish will change, so if it happens for half a second, you will get a slight difference in finish which will appear as a ring. As far as performance, I wouldn't think there'd be a problem as long as you couldn't feel it with your fingernail.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak
You may get a slight ring on your comm if your cutting speed varies. I'm not farmiliar with your lathe, but I am a machinist. If there is any change or pause in your cross cut feed or the rpm of your comm, there will be a slight difference in finish. Speed and feed = surface finish. If you change either variable your finish will change, so if it happens for half a second, you will get a slight difference in finish which will appear as a ring. As far as performance, I wouldn't think there'd be a problem as long as you couldn't feel it with your fingernail.
Thank you for your reply, I tested the comm with my fingernail and I never felt any bumps at all. Just another quick question, would you recommend a carbide or diamond bit?

Regards
Naut
Nautilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Make sure the com is turning into the cutter and all is square. You may need to raise or lower the bit in relation to the com center. I adjust slightly low of center and once I commit to a cut I do not stop or slow down. Also you should only cut one way( in,IMO) and shut the motor down before you draw the bit back,centering it on one of the grooves in the com so it doesn't scratch.
.02, Mike
Mike Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AChupp2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilian

Naut
I have the same lathe and I had the same thing happen. I don't think it would affect performance but I decided to see if I could get rid of the rings and I found out that if you raise the bit (use 1 more shim under the bit then 2 more and see which you prefer) and use WD40 on the guides where the armature sits it clears up the problem. The WD40 idea I was told specifically from Integy and has helped a lot. Hope that helps.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

He's right about having the cutter ever so slightly below center. If your tool is above center you basically run the chance of rubbing the back side of the cutter. You achieve this using the shims on the tool when you lock the bit down. If this was happening your finish would be very rough and your tool would eventually chip. If you were running the comm the wrong direction nothing would cut and you'd have a mess on your hands.

The diamond would give you a better finish then the carbide, but I use carbide on mine at work without any hassel. You can achieve a very smooth surface if you take several light passes. I try to take .001 - .002 of an inch per pass tops. It helps to smear some heavy cutting oil (or comm cutting oil) on it before I cut also. I'm not a motor finatic, some would tell you a mirror finish is best, but I don't see the cost as nessacary unless your doing a ton of motors all the time. I make time up by being prepared, not crashing, and finishing the race.

If you think your lathe is out of square, have somebody with calipers measure your comm to see if there is any taper to it. If it's tapered, meaning a larger diameter on one end, then your out of square.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have used the integy xipp lathe for a while, and i noticed that beyond the basic good setup of the lathe and bit, technique is also important. Lately i have noticed that the finishes are better when I make several passes AFTER i have gotten the comm clean. Also, I try to pull the bit back across the comm thru the groove between the segment. Several nice passes after all the discoloration is gone seems to produce the best finish.

Good luck.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

i didnt read the other replies, but make sure your bit is at the right height,and also make sure your motor is spining the proper direction..
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Make sure bit is properly shimmed and is sharp (preferably a diamond bit).

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote