R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2006, 10:27 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

I just started cutting with my first diamond bit this week. WOW! It creates an incredible finish. Amp draw during break in was much better too.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just got the Xipp Superlathe 3 and am about to use it for the first time. A few posts have mentioned how important it is that the lathe spins in the right direction. My comm is turning AWAY from me. Is that correct?
jon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #18
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

From what the late big jim told me (I actually have his document on cutting) that the comm should spin "into" the bit, not away from the bit.

I think the issue is the bit itself as it had this weird notched tip design. Since the standard MOD lathe bit will work, I ordered some my mcmaster-carr as I had great luck with those.

Everything other than that seems to operate as it should, so in a few days I'll update.

Thanks again guys and if anyone wants that document just msg me. It also give tips on sharpening your carbide bits and why NOT to use a diamond bit. Big Jim always cut his comms with carbide from what he told me.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Cain, does your super lathe 3 spin the comm INTO the bit (spins toward you)?
We have the same lathe and mine spins away.
jon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:02 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
From what the late big jim told me (I actually have his document on cutting) that the comm should spin "into" the bit, not away from the bit.

I think the issue is the bit itself as it had this weird notched tip design. Since the standard MOD lathe bit will work, I ordered some my mcmaster-carr as I had great luck with those.

Everything other than that seems to operate as it should, so in a few days I'll update.

Thanks again guys and if anyone wants that document just msg me. It also give tips on sharpening your carbide bits and why NOT to use a diamond bit. Big Jim always cut his comms with carbide from what he told me.
I thought the armature should spin away from the bit
Old 10-28-2006, 11:20 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AChupp2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
I thought the armature should spin away from the bit
I think you are correct. It would be logical in my mind because you want the bit in the middle of the comm or error on the side of the bit being above the center of the comm.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #22
Tech Legend

Hey guys I think the issue is that we are looking at it from different angles. I am talking about the comm spinning into the edge of the bit that does the cutting. Basically if you look at it from the bottom. If you look at it from the top, its spinning away from the top of the bit.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Get the orion lathe, the integy is a peice of junk. Oh and the comm should spin up into the bit from the bottom.

Quote:
Hey guys,

I just got another lathe here after a while without one, and I can't get a clean cut with this thing. It keeps scouring the comm, really nicking it up. I never had this issue with my previously lathe with was a cheapo and always used the carbide bit, just sharpened it.

Anyone got any idea what I can look into to fix this?
drew85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey guys,

I just got another lathe here after a while without one, and I can't get a clean cut with this thing. It keeps scouring the comm, really nicking it up. I never had this issue with my previously lathe with was a cheapo and always used the carbide bit, just sharpened it.

Anyone got any idea what I can look into to fix this?
I had the same problem. I had to send mine to Integy to have them set it up. Now it works great. It is my first lathe, so I kind of didn't know what I was doing.
kobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #25
Tech Legend

Hey guys,

I got to a solution. It was a two parter.

First off the bit was shot. So I went and ordered some new AL-4s online for after shipped it worked out to about $5 a bit.

Next, I worked on making sure that everything moved smoothly but did not vibrate or have any play. I didn't have any WD-40 (will do next) but with tightening up a bit things worked better.

Finally, I found that I was going the wrong way with the bit side to side motion. I was used to the Eagle MOD lathe and use an AR-4 on that one, so I was used to going the other direction and didn't think anything of it. After working with my changes, I finally went the other way to see if I could get a better finish and whammo, nice and shiny going from left to right. Should have thought of that earlier since that is where the downstop is DUH!

All in all, i really like the lathe, just wish it had an internal battery box but when I get my new 989 charger I can just run it off of that.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

What kind of noise should I be hearing from a properly cutting lathe? Mine kind of 'squeals' when cutting.. could it be a dull bit, or just not at the right height?

The cut copper flies off in tiny specks, not ribbons like my last dull bit, but that may not mean anything..
Old 11-12-2006, 06:03 PM   #27
Tech Addict

The direction that the arm spins depends on which way the bit is in the lathe.

-If the part of the comm that faces you spins up then the cutting tool should be facing down.
-If the part of the comm that faces you spins down then the cutting tool should be facing up.

If you accidently cut with the motor running the wrong direction using a diamond bit it will almost certainly chip.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead
The direction that the arm spins depends on which way the bit is in the lathe.

-If the part of the comm that faces you spins up then the cutting tool should be facing down.
-If the part of the comm that faces you spins down then the cutting tool should be facing up.

If you accidently cut with the motor running the wrong direction using a diamond bit it will almost certainly chip.

!00% correct.

I have a Cobra that runs the motor counter clockwise(wires reversed) bit above center. If I ran it clockwise I would have to flip the bit set under center, but then I would have to cut from left to right which is not ideal as this would mean starting at the soldered end.
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:42 AM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hey Cain,
Could you post some pics if your bit mounted on the lathe? I'm asking because I have a superlathe 3 also and I ordered some AL-4s, but I can't figure out how to mount them correctly. I'm thinking the superlathe 3 needs AR bits.
ittjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if it looks like this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=INTC2015&P=X
it used AR-4 bits and cuts from left to right.

always cut from the outside of the com, twords the windings.

if yours cuts from right to left, you have an AL-4.

our lathes are opposite of what a real machine lathe uses,
MManson is offline   Reply With Quote