R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #1
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default Brushless allowed at 2007 Snowbird Nationals

The 2007 Snowbird Nationals will have a 4300 brushless class sponsored by Novak this year. Downside for you all is it's in Oval only I would say this is Mikes way of testing the waters this year for the future. Im sure Mike will post details once they are completely availble.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Wow, that's really great to hear! If there's an on-road version in 2008, I'll be there for sure.

Is there any word on what rules will be followed for the 4300 class? There's (unfortunately) some tweaking that can be done with the 4300 motors in terms of parts and such. Will the BRL rules be used? They seem to be the most detailed and complete in terms of 4300 motors, and the options available for them.

The 4300 seems like a nice choice for BL racing for people that don't want to race mod. It seems like Novak is realizing that people have built a class around this motor, and are embracing it by sponsoring races. I hope they release an updated version with the new rotor, endbell and solder tabs (in a lightened, ribbed can). Right now, it almost doubles the price of the motor to equip it with a sintered rotor and updated endbell, which slightly ruins the spirit of having motors that don't need a bunch of parts and maintenance to be reliable.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:01 PM   #3
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Wow, that's really great to hear! If there's an on-road version in 2008, I'll be there for sure.

Is there any word on what rules will be followed for the 4300 class? There's (unfortunately) some tweaking that can be done with the 4300 motors in terms of parts and such. Will the BRL rules be used? They seem to be the most detailed and complete in terms of 4300 motors, and the options available for them.

The 4300 seems like a nice choice for BL racing for people that don't want to race mod. It seems like Novak is realizing that people have built a class around this motor, and are embracing it by sponsoring races. I hope they release an updated version with the new rotor, endbell and solder tabs (in a lightened, ribbed can). Right now, it almost doubles the price of the motor to equip it with a sintered rotor and updated endbell, which slightly ruins the spirit of having motors that don't need a bunch of parts and maintenance to be reliable.

Yes the Rules for the 4300 class in the BRL are exactly what they are following. They announced it tonight on racetalklive.com They also announced all the CASH that is going to be given away in the BRL races....12000.00 in CASH for the whole series Maybe we need to get Sonny to start a BRL for On-road!!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:02 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
The 4300 seems like a nice choice for BL racing for people that don't want to race mod.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. The Novak 4300 brushless is close to a 19T brushed. The Novak Super Sport 13.5 Stock Brushless Motor is equivalent to a 27T brushed stock motor.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:20 AM   #5
Tech Lord

Wow, that's great to hear. Seeing brushless banished to mod racing excludes probably a majority of club racers that don't want or can't handle the hassles of mod racing. 4300 on-road carpet/foam/sedan racing is tons of fun. :-)

The BRL rules allow for all kinds of updated parts, including the sintered rotor. The best combination of parts I've found so far is the sintered rotor used with the ribbed Velociti endbell. The ribbed endbell is lightened, about 1/2 oz. or so, and the sintered rotor removes all headaches with thermals and reliability. Here's the BRL rules for 4300 motors as they stand today:

Quote:
Pro 4300

1.) The Novak Super Sport 4300 10.5T Stock Brushless Motor (NOV3401) is the only approved motor of this class.

2.) Material may not be removed form the can or end bell for the purpose of increased ventilation or in an effort to lighten the motor. A single hole may be drilled in the back end cap for the purpose of oiling the rear bearing, the hole may be no larger then 3/8" (Amended 10/22)

Legal updates for this motor include

NOV5905 4300/5800 Motor Bearing & End Bell Replacement
NOV5906 4300/5800 Motor Replacement Rotor
NOV5908 Velociti Nickel-Plated Sintered Rotor may be used as a replacement for the stock rotor.
NOV5922 SS Brushless Motor Upgrade Kit
NOV5910 HV Motor Bearing & Endbell Replacemant
NOV5919 Velociti Ribbed Bearing & Endbell Replacement
NOV5920 Velociti 5.5/6.5 Bearing & Endbell Replacement (Amended 10/12/06)
Old 10-26-2006, 12:26 AM   #6
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by James35
Well, I wouldn't go that far. The Novak 4300 brushless is close to a 19T brushed. The Novak Super Sport 13.5 Stock Brushless Motor is equivalent to a 27T brushed stock motor.
Yea, the 13.5 is nice too, especially for stock racing. The 4300 is a bit faster for sure (though slower than a 19T), but it's got so much rip out of the turns, I feel a tiny thrill every time I pull the trigger. I guess it's a matter of preference. I'm totally fine with racing 13.5, but the increased rip of the 4300 make it more exciting and interesting without losing too much drivability.