Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
going onroad too, info? >

going onroad too, info?

going onroad too, info?

Old 10-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Tech Master

Want a Shaft go for the Tamiya TB-EVO 5...!!

Want a Belt go for a Tamiya MSX MRE...!!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:33 AM
Tech Regular

I gotta agree with the belt drive statement, I drive a T2R, a mate of mine drives a FT TC4 and we were "testing" stright line speed and acceration (drag race) and the torque steer in his car was amazing, when he accelerated fast it was like the steering trim was a few degrees out. thinking back to physics in school, its because the motor runs lengthways, the torqe generated puts a sideways force on the car at high revs, whereas when the motor is mounted sideways the torque is soaked up by either the front or rear suspension (not sure which).

Im not sure if there are any shaft drive cars with motors mounted sideways...

if you would consider a belt car go for a T2 or the new T2'007 when it comes out...

Pete

Last edited by PeteB; 10-29-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well, i took the time to ask some friends/ aquaintances and now i'm further confused haha

one insists on getting an fk05. this is a problem because i do not buy used cars, but he said i could find one NIB...

he said the evo 5 and the 415 (which uses battery tape dangit!) are good outside, but tough to deal with fitting foams for indoors.

another contact, who was a prominent TC racer up until grad school, stated get a tc4 or 415 for outside, losi or xray for carpet. he said if i he had to choose one for both, due to parts support and just overall support, he'd pick the new jrxs TR. he's got a point because the Losi parts are pretty readily available and Aaron Waldron is just one example of how accessible support can be.

I orig. was concerned about getting only shaft, but now i see that belt is pretty refined.

so, i'm going to get that Losi car...i think!

noone mentioned that piece, tho i know some of you mentioned belt cars so i'm curious why the Losi gets overlooked?

atleast it goes well with the freakin' 140 dollars i just spent on the complete Losi tool set. christ.

oh, and my mf2 ; )
Old 10-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ben.C
Want a Shaft go for the Tamiya TB-EVO 5...!!

Want a Belt go for a Tamiya MSX MRE...!!
i 2nd that!!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

ive looked at the losi. ive never driven one and dont know anyone who has. ive only read one review on it too. if i knew more i would have mentioned it. all and all its supposably a good car. but thats really all i can say about it
Old 10-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

well here is the latest-

the losi won't be out until mid-dec according to an insider at losi, despite claims it was supposed to come out in nov.

I've heard that the arms on the Tamiya's (evo5 and 415 belt car) are brittle and more importantly, using either with foams is a problem in terms of fitment; the foams are hella wide vs. rubbers. Can anyone confirm this? i've also read about the exposed diffs being a problem with maintenance.

i looked into the 007, but the division they've made between asphalt and carpet leaves a predicament for me, since i plan on racing on both. i was thinking that if i got the stiffer car, it could be tuned to be adept at asphalt racing, but i am not sure. can anyone confirm this notion? I can't imagine it makes THAT much of a difference that it can't be tuned to either surface. Also, can anyone tell me if there is some sort of battery hold down setup for these cars that use battery tape slots? i know this is a little fact, but it's important to me.

the TC4 presents a problem in that they are coming out with a belt car. plus, it's an associated, i just can't see myself getting one in all honestly, tho the price and parts support is tempting.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

The Xray site has a HUGE writeup on the 007, including detailed differences between the EU and US versions. From my memory of it, I think the Stiffest setup on an EU car is about equal to the most flexible setting on the US car.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

the losi would be good. i read some stuff on it and it is very nice. very clean look once wired too. everything on the car is completely centered and the weight distribution ive heard is perfect for nearly all settings. you could get the original jrxs if you want, but it has a mid motor and the battery is further towards the back. the newer one that just came out has the rear motor and mid battery, which i think makes it handle a lot better. ive heard its a great car for both worlds of racing, but i cant clarify this because ive never driven one.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

the difference between the tamiya and the associated is that the tamiya parts all fit perfectly. no fitting necessary. the tamiy ta05 handles very well right out of the box and cost 1/4 of the high end 415.

Most here love the xray because it is so durable and able to take the punishment. I've had a tc3 fro the last 9 years. still works good enough to have fun driving it.

cheers.
wn
Old 10-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

thanks for the input fellas.

ok, about the tamiya, specifically the 415 msx.

can it work with foams as far as fitment since they are wider than rubbers? someone told me there is a problem fitting foams regarding clearance with the suspension or steering, but i notice that Tamiya offers a 4mm carpet chassis, so...foams must fit?

are the arms brittle? are there light and regular arms for the msx?

i've read about the diffs being exposed, is this true? i'd really prefer a closed diff case

thanks for any help.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

looks like it would be hard to get foams on that. the suspension is real close to the edge of the tire already. and personally i would try to find something with less aluminum and closed diffs. it is an extreemly nice car though and im sure it will be great on asphalt
Old 10-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A guy at our track runs a 415MSX and he has to run HPI pro 4 front steering knuckles to be able to run 30mm foams but I think 28mm requires the pro 4 knuckles aswell although I'm not 100% sure on that.

Yes the diffs are open. You'll be hard pressed to find a belt drive car that doesn't have open diffs. Even the Evo 5 has open diffs.

I have a HPI Pro 4 and while it has recently been discontinued, I'm sure you'll be able to find a new one if you looked hard enough. I know my LHS has one. It is shaft drive, closed diffs and parts should still be available for some time as it shares quite a few parts with the Hot Bodies Cyclone. Just my 2c.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by builthatch
well here is the latest-

i looked into the 007, but the division they've made between asphalt and carpet leaves a predicament for me, since i plan on racing on both. i was thinking that if i got the stiffer car, it could be tuned to be adept at asphalt racing, but i am not sure. can anyone confirm this notion? I can't imagine it makes THAT much of a difference that it can't be tuned to either surface. Also, can anyone tell me if there is some sort of battery hold down setup for these cars that use battery tape slots? i know this is a little fact, but it's important to me.
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...ce91d55adeb1a7

There is a CF batt strap available as an optional extra.

I would tend to lean towards the rubber spec, because you can adjust the flex by adding removing the alu posts and the number of chassis screws, to stiffen it right up, add all screws and posts. Im not sure, but I think it would be hard to make the carpet spec flex enough for asphalt racing...