R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default new Team Orion Brushless ??

anybody knows when it will be available ??
tifosi_es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
Tech Elite

I can't give exact info but it should be right around the end of the year. We are finalizing motor testing with different ESCs and the progress is very good. Todd Hodge and I have tested the 3.5 version with Novak speedos and the motor speed is very good as is the ESC temperature during operation.

We have passed the same motor back and forth between us and have about fifty 5 minute runs on it with, as expected, no loss of performance. We are confident that the Orion motor will be better than anything our competition can supply.

The GM based Orion speedo works very well also. Expect a combo version with ESC and motor as well as motors sold separately for those that want to use Novak or LRP speedos.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
TLRacing

I recently was able to run the motor at the Region 12 Champs. The motor was awesome. I was averaging 160 seconds of runtime with my Orion 4200 SHV. Like Rick said we have been sharing it between race nights and weekends. I have it for this weekends race, Halloween Classic, at The Gate. I will be using it in my Type R on foam tires.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
Bar
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has there been any testing done on 4 cell touring as this seems to be the way things are going?
Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar
Has there been any testing done on 4 cell touring as this seems to be the way things are going?
Not with this particular motor. But we feel that if it can handle the rigors of 6-cell, 4-cell should be no problem.

We will do some testing on it once we hear word about 4-cell rulings.

My prediction is that if we go to 4-cells, you will see brushed motors go away within 6 months. Either use one, or you will be uncompetitive.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
Bar
Tech Regular

good point the BRCA is on sunday; i think the plan there is to vote quite a few things in then leave it to the commitee and they will go the same way as EFRA do
Old 10-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Not with this particular motor. But we feel that if it can handle the rigors of 6-cell, 4-cell should be no problem.

We will do some testing on it once we hear word about 4-cell rulings.

My prediction is that if we go to 4-cells, you will see brushed motors go away within 6 months. Either use one, or you will be uncompetitive.
Ive ran my Cyclone with the GTB and the 3.5 motor with 4 cells and its pretty fast.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
Tech Elite

With 6-cells, the efficiency (and resulting run time) of brushless is not a performance advantage. But you can practice longer.

Take away 1/3rd of the total energy available, and this efficiency comes back into play. I think going to 4-cell will, unfortunately, make modified brushed motors truly obsolete overnight.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Bar
Tech Regular

yep I agree im not sure thats a bad thing though im sure there will be hurdles that we will come up against as with any new technology for rc use
Old 10-24-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
With 6-cells, the efficiency (and resulting run time) of brushless is not a performance advantage. But you can practice longer.

Take away 1/3rd of the total energy available, and this efficiency comes back into play. I think going to 4-cell will, unfortunately, make modified brushed motors truly obsolete overnight.
I agree, Im glad that I sold my Turbo45 dyno and my magnet zapper just in time
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #11
TLRacing

I agree with Rick, if we go 4 cell in the USA brushed motors will be done. At the Regional Race I had too much power with the 3.5. 4 Cells would of been really good for that motor with the right amount of speed.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #12
Bar
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hodge
I agree with Rick, if we go 4 cell in the USA brushed motors will be done. At the Regional Race I had too much power with the 3.5. 4 Cells would of been really good for that motor with the right amount of speed.
Exactly it pushes brushless right to the forefront of rc racing
Old 10-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

pictures please?
tifosi_es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:09 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Hmmm..4 cell racing. JMRCA has already changed the rule to race with 4cells but what will that mean for the batterie-manufacturers since they just developed 7.4V lipo's for racing. Will the 7.4V used for spec and stockracing in the future and will they develop a new pack 4.8V for modified? Also we have seen lowering the amount in turns in brushed motors in the last years since the amount of mah became higher and higher. What will happen to the new brushless motors when they have reached the 1 turn? Massive windings?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:12 PM   #15
Tech Master

Hi Rick, Todd,

Which version of the GM brushless ESC is the Team Orion brushless based on? Genius 95 or 80? Thanks.
Kenneth Tan is offline   Reply With Quote