R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-22-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default MOTOR TIMING (How does it work)

I have raced for many years and know what timing does to a motor. What I don't know is how and why it works.
In the past I heard people throw around the term hall clip. Can anyone give me some info on all this? I am curious.
Jamie Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:20 PM   #2
Tech Master

All I know about motor timing is that if you turn the endbell anti-closkwise, you're adding timing. and the other way you're retarding the timing.

Add timing gives you more power, RPM etc.....But it decreases your motor efficiency and life of your comm.

If you cut your comm, the decrease in comm size too increases timing.So you must turn your endbell clockwise a little to compensate for the decrease in comm size.

As for the science part, hope more of the motor tuners here will add in or edit what I've written...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:08 AM   #3
Tech Addict

If you turn the endbell in the same direction as the motor turns you're advancing the timing. Doing this increases RPM and decreases Torq. Horsepower is calculated as RPM multiplied by Torq (there is also a number in the formula but it doesn't matter in this example). The aim is to increase the RPM more than the Torq you lose. After you've advanced the motor past certain point you lose more Torq than you gain RPM, meaning that you get less power from your motor even if it turns faster.

Hall clip is used to measure the strength of the magnets, the magnest lose strength over time and every time they're heated.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a modified motor with adjustable timing, but there is no sticker or any type of sign showing the zero timing. (it is a 1:18 reedy micro modified). How can I find the zero degree point?
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

zero degrees is centered between the two magnets. there is usually a indentation in the motor can right there.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

THanks guys....That is the stuff I already know. I know what timing does...... I want to know why though.

Why does rotating the endbell change the timing? What determines this? The only change is the brush placement in relationship to the magnents. Does this somehow Saturate the tips of the mags as opposed to the the center? THis is the kind of info I am looking for.
Jamie Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
Tech Addict

By advancing timing you're rotating the brushes. The brushes "turn on" AND "turn off" electric magnet in the armatures windings. That magnet attracts or repels the permanent magnets in the can. So by rotating the brushes you're changing the position of the armature and the windings when they turn on or off.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:56 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

cvt01 usually o degrees is in-between the tapped holes in the can where you bolt the motor in. Also like RussB said - in between the magnets.