Wiki Posts
Search

LRP brushless rollout...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default LRP brushless rollout...

I just got an LRP SPHERE Competition Brushless and 4 star motor. I'm having a little trouble finding the optimum rollout. I started out at around 24 but thought it was running a little hot (170 on the motor and 160 on the speedo). On the next two runs I dropped 2 teeth each time (down to 20) and the temp didn't really change, I just gained a little more punch. What are the max temps that the LRP should run at? I'm running on carpet with foams.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Gear it till it thermals. Then go 2 teeth lower on the pinion and you should be safe.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've heard that getting the motor over 180 can ruin the rotor. Is this not true?

Originally Posted by Jan Larsen
Gear it till it thermals. Then go 2 teeth lower on the pinion and you should be safe.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

With my Sphere Comp with a 4 star I gear it like a 7 turn single. Like on my TC4 I gear it 104/28 with an internal ratio of 2.5 and rubber tire size of 63mm. I just use the same rollout with whatever size foam you are using. But I have found you have to put a fan on the speed control and put a capacitor on the battery terminals on the speed control. That should help cool the speed control down. Also run fans on the can of the motor not the endbell.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jan Larsen
No offense, but I feel this is bad advice. The Sphere comp doesn't have a sensor to shut off if the motor overheats, just the ESC. So gearing it till it thermals could possibly ruin a nice motor since the esc is typically cooler than the motor. The sphere comp is designed to operate in the 160 * F range according to the literature it comes with.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey slim, forget the literature. Go with 72/19 on the gearing. Temps on the motor should not break 140. Temps on the speedo should stay under 130. This is if you want to prolong the life of your gear. I run this on my brushless motor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3Racing-1-10-540...QQcmdZViewItem

This brings the motor temp down, which lets you gear more aggressively. And for the record, when you ask for advice, even if you dont agree with it, dont shoot someone down on the forum. That person may have something for you later they will keep it to themselves when you really need it.

The manual gives you temps that will cause damage if you run at those levels for extended times. Keep it under those temps, and your motor and speedo will last.