Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Anyone roadrace motorcycles? >

Anyone roadrace motorcycles?

Anyone roadrace motorcycles?

Reply

Old 10-20-2006, 12:12 AM
  #1  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
cyber3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 92
Default Anyone roadrace motorcycles?

I am finding it difficult to alter my way of thinking about driving the RC electric Touring Car away from roadracing motorcycles. And it is making driving a bit difficult (and I hope it does not hurt my roadracing).

Sure there are a lot of similarities but there are a lot of differences too. What are your thoughts?

cheers, Katsu

Last edited by cyber3d; 10-20-2006 at 12:14 AM. Reason: addendum
cyber3d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:29 AM
  #2  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mountain Home
Posts: 76
Default

I did many years ago. The same principles apply going around the track, although I find r/c a little easier to recover from. What kinda differences are you talking about?


Kevin
KevinL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:01 AM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (36)
 
Anthony.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Federal Way, WA
Posts: 2,701
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

One of my other hobbies is track days on the GSXR (Pacific Raceway, PIR, and Spokane). I enjoy both equally.
Anthony.L is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:29 AM
  #4  
Tech Elite
 
vtl1180ny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Wrong Island
Posts: 4,963
Default

It's the same in real life also, driving a car through a turn and a motorcycle are very different. Besides a little trail braking you have to do all your braking before a turn on a bike, with a car you can be fast braking into the turn...
vtl1180ny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:55 AM
  #5  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,316
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
Besides a little trail braking you have to do all your braking before a turn on a bike, with a car you can be fast braking into the turn...
Not completly true... in bike racing you want to keep your forks in compression so that you have the best turn-in (smallest rake) and most weight on your front tire. In most cases (tighter turns - not sweepers), you are trail-braking right to the apex and using smooth on-throttle power out. Letting off the brake too quickly - or too early unsettles the bike and takes away steering. Watch Valentino Rossi or Nicky Hayden in a turn, the back of their bikes almost leave the ground... and not just in the entry point - also right up to the apex.

As for the difference, yes, I do race my bike on the track and I have found that some of the principles apply - except braking. Imagine going through the turns the same as you do on your bike, except without braking unless its a really sharp (i.e. 90-deg) and you want to use brakes to keep speed right to the apex.

Entry speed, Turn-in, Apex, and Exit principles all apply. You can still break your turn into 4 points in RC - they just happen a heck of alot faster.

duckman996 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:24 PM
  #6  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (199)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 28,894
Trader Rating: 199 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cyber3d
I am finding it difficult to alter my way of thinking about driving the RC electric Touring Car away from roadracing motorcycles. And it is making driving a bit difficult (and I hope it does not hurt my roadracing).

Sure there are a lot of similarities but there are a lot of differences too. What are your thoughts?

cheers, Katsu
about the same principles, at least you dont break as many bones I raced about 10 years ago , I races the CCS before I turned pro then it happen one good crash and 4 surgeries later, I got a r/c car.

If you want to improve your roadracing start racing dirt tracks , there is nothing in the world that is as much fun as outbraking someone into a corner sliding the rear wheel and passing them in the inside (asphalt ofcourse)
Marcos.J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:09 PM
  #7  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,316
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
about the same principles, at least you dont break as many bones I raced about 10 years ago , I races the CCS before I turned pro then it happen one good crash and 4 surgeries later, I got a r/c car.

If you want to improve your roadracing start racing dirt tracks , there is nothing in the world that is as much fun as outbraking someone into a corner sliding the rear wheel and passing them in the inside (asphalt ofcourse)
Supermoto ...
duckman996 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:11 PM
  #8  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (199)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 28,894
Trader Rating: 199 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by duckman996
Supermoto ...
you mean supermotard? dirt bike with slicks!!
Marcos.J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:12 PM
  #9  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (199)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 28,894
Trader Rating: 199 (100%+)
Default

Marcos.J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:13 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,316
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
you mean supermotard? dirt bike with slicks!!
Bahhh TOmato TAmato....



But yes I meant Supermotard
duckman996 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:14 PM
  #11  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (12)
 
Runin Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 618
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

I do trackdays on my RC51... completely different method of trackriding and R/C racing. I go all out on the R/C track and much more careful on the racetrack. I'm not very good at either but, I sure enjoy both hobbies! Check out the link below for pics and stuff.



http://www.lowaltitudepilots.com/php...opic.php?t=116
Runin Ronin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:19 PM
  #12  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (199)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 28,894
Trader Rating: 199 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Runin Ronin
I do trackdays on my RC51... completely different method of trackriding and R/C racing. I go all out on the R/C track and much more careful on the racetrack. I'm not very good at either but, I sure enjoy both hobbies! Check out the link below for pics and stuff.

http://www.lowaltitudepilots.com/php...opic.php?t=116
hey those knee pucks look brand new! how about a scrape or 2
Marcos.J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:24 AM
  #13  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (12)
 
Runin Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 618
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
hey those knee pucks look brand new! how about a scrape or 2
never said I was good... but, there are a few more scrapes on the pucks since these were taken a few months ago
Runin Ronin is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service