R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #16
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

If anyone of the two carpet tracks near me ran rubber tires on carpet I would be racing their. I don't think it will happen but if it does I will race their and if not bo big deal as I can just race at the indoor asphalt track and ride 4 wheelers during the winter time.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Foams are the best because you can't race 12th scale on rubbers.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:54 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Foams are the best because you can't race 12th scale on rubbers.
Touring car only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:58 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I ran stock foam and hated it but would like to try 19t foam and stock rubber but i only ran carpet once but i will try it agian
Old 10-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

my car handles a lot better on the carpet with radials then it does with foams. ive never gone to an actual race though, so im not sure what they will run in those classes. my radials deffinitly handle better then foams on hte carpet, so if you had a choice, i would get some 31mm hpi radials. they stick like crazy on carpets and work good outside if you want to do that too.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It's just like Lipo or brushless. There is a group that don't want to try it and will bash it. And there's a group that is open to change and will try it and like it and never look back.

I love rubber tire. I love brushless. And I'm really starting to like LiPo.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Foam over took Rubbers as what’s run at larger races. This was mainly b/c before the spec premounted tires rubber tire racers were far more expensive then anyone cares to remember. Spec rubber tires are nice and have lowered the cost for a race on rubber tires. Right now you have far more people racing in the US with Foams on Carpet then you do with Rubbers on carpet. Look at the IIC there was about 2.5 foam stock racers to every 1 rubber stock racer. There was a US Rubber tire Nationals and I think there weren’t much more then 50 Total entries. At the US Touring Car Champs they have both rubber tire and foams and again there is about the same split as there was at the IIC. I don’t see this changing anytime soon. As far as weekly racing foams to rubber tires and them being cheaper that is dictated by the competition level that you race with weekly. Rubber tires do get slower the more you run them. If you have people that are willing to buy new tires every few runs then you will need to do the same to keep up. But if everyone is running on old worn out tires then yes you can get a whole season on a set of rubber tires. I don’t think one is better then the other. They are both challenging and fun at the same time but the fact is more people like foams as they are faster and stay faster longer. I just went back and ran some rubber tire on carpet for about 2 months and I had more wear and tear on my car then I do when I race foams. A 1-way diff is murder on front CVD's and my rear diff seemed to need to be rebuilt more often then normal just to name a few things. For me personally I wouldn’t care one way or the other if there was only 1 type of tires used I would still race.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

We had this awesome track in Austin called Kinetix, ran By David Joor and Ron Atomic. My first exposure to rubber touring and I can't see running anything but rubber. I liked foam, awesome response with them but the more 'driving' aspect of rubber tires is where I have the most fun!

The track I currently run at now is making a small change. There are a few of us running rubber and I feel it will increase in popularity.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Rubber tires on carpet is a money race. No matter if it's spec tire or not. New tires every week or sometimes every run. That was for club racing. For a big race it could be 4-5 sets easy.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
Rubber tires on carpet is a money race. No matter if it's spec tire or not. New tires every week or sometimes every run. That was for club racing. For a big race it could be 4-5 sets easy.
it goes both ways.

for the big races foam tires are used once only for each run. honestly, does anyone ever re-use foam tires for high competition? practise, qualifiers, mains...5-6 sets easy.

martin crisp ran one set of rubber for 19t all weekend at last years iic (and won). in extreme traction conditions, you even glue the sidewall or use used tires to reduce traction roll.

what i've learned about the foam vs rubber debate is that people will make arguments to support their personal preference, not really whether or not the carpet lasts longer, or costs are higher or lower...
that said, i like both foam and rubber. both have their advantages and disadvantages. but i think one reason why foam has taken such a large following is because the higher traction compensates for inadequacies in setup and driving (its not even fair to compare the tires as the surface area of the contact patch is so different!!)
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum

it goes both ways.

i like both foam and rubber. both have their advantages and disadvantages. but i think one reason why foam has taken such a large following is because the higher traction compensates for inadequacies in setup and driving (its not even fair to compare the tires as the surface area of the contact patch is so different!!)
Old 10-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

ive heard good and bad about both. personally i prefer running rubbers cause they work good on all surfaces and i mostly run parking lot races and run in streets that can be rough in some places. to me rubber sideways last longer. plus i will wear a rubber tire till it tears. i really dont mind. i ran a rubber set for a year and it didnt bother me. but foams supposedly last a while too. ive only run one pair and they wore down fast, but i think they were soft so....

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:51 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

From info I have gained it seems that after 3 runs on rubbers they are no longer able to stay competitive at large events. So I have strayed away from rubber. Also at my track the rubber class is the beginner-intermediate class.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The arguement of rubber being slower then foam is pointless. ITs like saying stock is slower then mod. Those are 2 different classes. And the fact is there is speed differences.

Rubber on a whole at the club level should be cheaper as most can run a long time on them. Luckily guys locally dont drop there money on fresh tires weekly to beat the same guys they beat every week with old tires.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Foam is faster, but not THAT much faster. The difference in laptimes between mod sedan rubber and foam werent that different at the IIC in vegas (spec tires were RC30's). I dont see why there aren't more carpet tracks around?? A lot more traction than asphalt, and rubber tires last you a looooooong time if your car is set up right. Its the way to go!

I race at - SDRC Raceway, CVRC Raceway and SoCal-RC Onroad

My Painters: Fatty Grafx -https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fatty-Grafx/138256833000949
JoelNavarro is offline   Reply With Quote