R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #136
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Another tricky part of rubber TC racing on carpet is that most of the time your car is overpowered. So chassis setup and a smooth driving line is crucial to being able to put that power down and separate yourself. I watch the foam guys at my track closely. They're a little faster, but throttle is herky jerkey, lines are vague, and breakage seems to be more likely. When some of those guys switched to rubber, while it got ugly for a while, they ultimately smoothed out and got fast. Now when they run foam they are even faster then they were before. I know world level guys make it look good, so everyone racing foams take it easy, I'm not bashing foam TC. When I want to go fast I race 12th scale.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #137
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
Another tricky part of rubber TC racing on carpet is that most of the time your car is overpowered. So chassis setup and a smooth driving line is crucial to being able to put that power down and separate yourself. I watch the foam guys at my track closely. They're a little faster, but throttle is herky jerkey, lines are vague, and breakage seems to be more likely. When some of those guys switched to rubber, while it got ugly for a while, they ultimately smoothed out and got fast. Now when they run foam they are even faster then they were before. I know world level guys make it look good, so everyone racing foams take it easy, I'm not bashing foam TC. When I want to go fast I race 12th scale.
I agree in that rubber on carpet teaches you to be smoother and more accurate since your traction is limited and you have to be. I was learning that when our track was open and before we ran on it I said about doing rubber classes and everyone just looked at me. They then saw how fast you can go on carpet with rubber but also it took a bit more skill to do so.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #138
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so I have to buy 5 different sets of rubber and insert combo to get the right combination for what tempeture it is. and then they fall off like was said after 3 or 4 run .02 a lap so if someone else puts new tyres on for the main I have to put new tyres on also. I can get consistant low 10 second laps at our track from 2.25" to 2.10" and get about 3 or 4 weekends out a set of foam tires. so i have to change my droop and ride height. it's the same as if i was running 12th scale. and like I said if foam is good enough for nitro touring and 12th scale it's good enough for electric TC I'll just keep buying my double pink double pink orange jacos and be happy.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:21 PM   #139
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Foam rules. I just never could get into the rubber racing.

I have the best all round longevity and performance running foam.
I don't see how rubber could take over with out some drastic change in the performance longevity.
All though there was some rubber tires on a thread the other day that were half the going prices. Thats a plus...
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #140
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I don't think I'd be interested in rubber without a spec tire. I think that's one of its greatest virtues.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #141
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I don't think I'd be interested in rubber without a spec tire. I think that's one of its greatest virtues.
I prefer to mix and match the compounds like foam. Never did like 4 of the same.

One more reason I don't run rubber.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #142
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Sean R

I don't believe anyone has touched the fact that rubber tires don't lay down a groove compared to foam. Without foam tires, racing becomes a lot slower for the rubber guys.
Sean R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #143
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBird-sr View Post
I don't believe anyone has touched the fact that rubber tires don't lay down a groove compared to foam. Without foam tires, racing becomes a lot slower for the rubber guys.
As a foam racer I feel the same about rubber racers. Theres a lot of pluses to rubber. I would say they are a better alternative for the true budget racer.
But if trying to run up front and fast as possible ya just cant beat the foams.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #144
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I don't think one would/could ever replace the other. It is a apples and oranges kind of thing people need to keep in mind. As long as each side respects the other for it's differences all should be good. People should try both and run what they enjoy.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #145
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

syndr0me, try the Speedmind/Sorex 28 premounts, they last a lot longer than the CS27's with much better traction.
Our indoor series went from CS27's to the Speedminds last year and everyone was a lot happier, for a spec premount, they are the way to go.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #146
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
I don't think one would/could ever replace the other. It is a apples and oranges kind of thing people need to keep in mind. As long as each side respects the other for it's differences all should be good. People should try both and run what they enjoy.
Thats some good advise to practice right there.
Its good to change up from time to time to.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #147
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
syndr0me, try the Speedmind/Sorex 28 premounts, they last a lot longer than the CS27's with much better traction.
Our indoor series went from CS27's to the Speedminds last year and everyone was a lot happier, for a spec premount, they are the way to go.
I always had good luck and they last to. I'm not sure if its the belt or just the rubber.?
But the belts are awesome with a mod motor.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:26 AM   #148
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
As a foam racer I feel the same about rubber racers. Theres a lot of pluses to rubber. I would say they are a better alternative for the true budget racer.
But if trying to run up front and fast as possible ya just cant beat the foams.
The rest of the world seems to do okay on rubbers, and they're not exactly slow. Check out the modified videos.

http://www.racerc.dk/modules/content/index.php?id=22
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #149
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post

I have heard that several times, but the local track insists on cs27's. The Sorex's are even cheaper from what Ive seen
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:18 AM   #150
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post
I have heard that several times, but the local track insists on cs27's. The Sorex's are even cheaper from what Ive seen
I guess its all in order to keep it fair. You could try to make the Sorex the speck tire. Usually 3 0r 4 dollars cheaper, and if you can get an extra week,? 5 or 6 dollars cheaper. I think 27's have become the main one cause thats what the big races use.
Around here we can buy orion tires sorex and every rp tire, but you can only race 27's. At the local shop in north town they have a box full of tires 1.00 each. All the 27's are gone and none will by the others. Waste of money when you cant even bash them.
You would think at 1.00 each they would be gone in a New York second.?