R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2003, 05:41 PM   #61
Tech Master
 
spenzalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD
Posts: 1,424
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii
Default

Diffs. Sounds very much like the diffs are shot. I had stripped the locking nut in my XXX-S and had the exact same problem:the rear would not stay put. Either rebuild or replace them, and check how tight they are.
__________________
This episode is brought to you by the letters M, T, X and the number 4....
spenzalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:56 PM   #62
Tech Elite
 
Cole Trickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Denmark / Europe
Posts: 2,571
Default

Pops, I think your setup suggestions aint suit the Pro2 as well, as your intentions.... have you been running a Pro2 or are your suggestions based on the Pro3?

Camber. Personally I get good results with -1,5 degree. Many Pro2 drivers use between 1 and 2 degree. Here are a lot of Pro2 setups: http://www.grafix-is.com/~drdiff/2chassis.htm

About front toe-in, I personally find that the car gets too nibmle, if toe-in are less than 1 degree. However, this is highly depending on ones driving skills.

Personally, I got 7 HPI springs between my front and rear springs. Dr. Diff's original suggested starting point for carpet, had around 5 springs between front and rear.
__________________
Schumacher Mi5 - Sanwa MT-4 / RX-462 / KO Propo PDS-2123 - Nosram 5600 X-treme Saddle Pack - LRP SPX Zero/X12 17,5 - Nosram Stealth Touch Evolution - MAAS SPS 9250
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:25 PM   #63
Tech Elite
 
popsracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: "Hot, Sunny Southern California"
Posts: 3,120
Default Cole Trickle;

The Pro-2 has the exact same suspension geometry as the Nitro-2 cars of which I am VERY familiar. I have owned a Pro-2 which handled GREAT but I dumped it because of a un-correctable Glitching problem caused by the Graphite Chassis material.

MANY people make the mistake of running TOO wide of a spring rate spread between the Front and Rear shocks. I think you will find after some experimentation, that the car will be faster and easier to drive with Spring rates no further than 2 steps apart. Try it sometime and you may be pleasantly surprised.

The "3" series/versions of the HPI Electric and Nitro cars have major changes in the suspension geometries that works much better with "Normal" Camber settings of -1 or more. I have NEVER been able to run more than 0.5 Degrees Camber in ANY of my HPI Cars including my late Pro-2. (Except Pro-3)
I will say that I have never with my HPI's, have run Foams or on Carpet before and both situations NORMALLY require increased Camber settings.

Front Toe-in usually tames down the steering (turn-in) and Toe-out makes the steering MORE agressive. 1 degree in either direction from zero should be the max needed. I personally prefer my cars with -0- degs Front Toe. High Speed, Digital Servos keep me pointed straight.

NOTE:
I offer these as SUGGESTIONS only. These are from my 3-1/2+ years of racing HPI products and MUCH experimentation.

Last edited by popsracer; 03-02-2003 at 11:07 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 11:03 PM   #64
Tech Elite
 
popsracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: "Hot, Sunny Southern California"
Posts: 3,120
Default HPI Pro2 going in trash

AP:

I've been waiting every day outside of your house for you throw that P2 away. What gives?
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 03:04 AM   #65
Tech Elite
 
Cole Trickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Denmark / Europe
Posts: 2,571
Default Re: Cole Trickle;

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
MANY people make the mistake of running TOO wide of a spring rate spread between the Front and Rear shocks. I think you will find after some experimentation, that the car will be faster and easier to drive with Spring rates no further than 2 steps apart. Try it sometime and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Sounds very interesting, I think I'll try it, when the winter tournaments are over. Sounds like it require a different driving style too. One question, do run with the same tires/inserts front/rear?

This make me thinking of trying the difference between softer springs / harder inserts in the rear, versus harder springs / softer inserts.
__________________
Schumacher Mi5 - Sanwa MT-4 / RX-462 / KO Propo PDS-2123 - Nosram 5600 X-treme Saddle Pack - LRP SPX Zero/X12 17,5 - Nosram Stealth Touch Evolution - MAAS SPS 9250
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 03:05 AM   #66
Tech Elite
 
Cole Trickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Denmark / Europe
Posts: 2,571
Default Re: Cole Trickle;

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
I have owned a Pro-2 which handled GREAT but I dumped it because of a un-correctable Glitching problem caused by the Graphite Chassis material.
Ahh, now I remember that you told me this before.
__________________
Schumacher Mi5 - Sanwa MT-4 / RX-462 / KO Propo PDS-2123 - Nosram 5600 X-treme Saddle Pack - LRP SPX Zero/X12 17,5 - Nosram Stealth Touch Evolution - MAAS SPS 9250
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 03:08 AM   #67
Tech Elite
 
Cole Trickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Denmark / Europe
Posts: 2,571
Default Re: Cole Trickle;

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
I will say that I have never with my HPI's, have run Foams or on Carpet before and both situations NORMALLY require increased Camber settings.
I'm running rubber tires on carpet only.
__________________
Schumacher Mi5 - Sanwa MT-4 / RX-462 / KO Propo PDS-2123 - Nosram 5600 X-treme Saddle Pack - LRP SPX Zero/X12 17,5 - Nosram Stealth Touch Evolution - MAAS SPS 9250
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 03:10 AM   #68
Tech Elite
 
Cole Trickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Denmark / Europe
Posts: 2,571
Default Re: Cole Trickle;

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Front Toe-in usually tames down the steering (turn-in) and Toe-out makes the steering MORE agressive. 1 degree in either direction from zero should be the max needed. I personally prefer my cars with -0- degs Front Toe. High Speed, Digital Servos keep me pointed straight.
I'm using fast digital servos too. I got 1 degree toe-in. But that's in conjunction with one-ways.
__________________
Schumacher Mi5 - Sanwa MT-4 / RX-462 / KO Propo PDS-2123 - Nosram 5600 X-treme Saddle Pack - LRP SPX Zero/X12 17,5 - Nosram Stealth Touch Evolution - MAAS SPS 9250
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 10:04 AM   #69
Tech Elite
 
popsracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: "Hot, Sunny Southern California"
Posts: 3,120
Default MY-HPI Pro2 went in the in trash

Cole Trickle;

I have run Different inserts AND Tire compounds Front vs Rear. This can be made to work fairly well, but, I find that using the SAME Tires and Inserts F/R makes the Car easier to set-up and ultimately drive faster. This is my thinking on having a "Balanced" chassis set-up. To try and keep both ends of the Car as Equal as possible.

I agree about using -1 degree Front Toe-in with a One-way. I end up taking mine out of my Pro-3, when I stiffened the chassis up. Lately we've been racing on really slick surfaces and it's hard to keep the Rear in line most of the time. Luckily, everyone has the same problem, so I'm still finishing pretty well overall.

I couldn't believe how much easier my Cars were to drive once I went to Digital HS servos for the Steering.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 10:32 AM   #70
Tech Regular
 
nova racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ypsilanti MI
Posts: 292
Default Re: MY-HPI Pro2 went in the in trash

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Cole Trickle;

I have run Different inserts AND Tire compounds Front vs Rear. This can be made to work fairly well, but, I find that using the SAME Tires and Inserts F/R makes the Car easier to set-up and ultimately drive faster. This is my thinking on having a "Balanced" chassis set-up. To try and keep both ends of the Car as Equal as possible.

I agree about using -1 degree Front Toe-in with a One-way. I end up taking mine out of my Pro-3, when I stiffened the chassis up. Lately we've been racing on really slick surfaces and it's hard to keep the Rear in line most of the time. Luckily, everyone has the same problem, so I'm still finishing pretty well overall.

I couldn't believe how much easier my Cars were to drive once I went to Digital HS servos for the Steering.
loose on entry or exit? easy fix is if you are loose on entry try a softer rear spring loose on exit harder rear spring yes it works it keeps reae tires planted
nova racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offroad trash talk! Dirt McGirt Georgia Racing 6 05-06-2008 08:35 PM
Old Batteries: recycle or trash? CarlosG. Electric On-Road 8 10-12-2007 04:09 PM
Trash Talk -- beware PitCrew Northwest Racers 75 12-08-2003 03:50 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:39 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net