R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-28-2003, 05:41 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Diffs. Sounds very much like the diffs are shot. I had stripped the locking nut in my XXX-S and had the exact same problem:the rear would not stay put. Either rebuild or replace them, and check how tight they are.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:56 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Pops, I think your setup suggestions aint suit the Pro2 as well, as your intentions.... have you been running a Pro2 or are your suggestions based on the Pro3?

Camber. Personally I get good results with -1,5 degree. Many Pro2 drivers use between 1 and 2 degree. Here are a lot of Pro2 setups: http://www.grafix-is.com/~drdiff/2chassis.htm

About front toe-in, I personally find that the car gets too nibmle, if toe-in are less than 1 degree. However, this is highly depending on ones driving skills.

Personally, I got 7 HPI springs between my front and rear springs. Dr. Diff's original suggested starting point for carpet, had around 5 springs between front and rear.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:25 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Default Cole Trickle;

The Pro-2 has the exact same suspension geometry as the Nitro-2 cars of which I am VERY familiar. I have owned a Pro-2 which handled GREAT but I dumped it because of a un-correctable Glitching problem caused by the Graphite Chassis material.

MANY people make the mistake of running TOO wide of a spring rate spread between the Front and Rear shocks. I think you will find after some experimentation, that the car will be faster and easier to drive with Spring rates no further than 2 steps apart. Try it sometime and you may be pleasantly surprised.

The "3" series/versions of the HPI Electric and Nitro cars have major changes in the suspension geometries that works much better with "Normal" Camber settings of -1 or more. I have NEVER been able to run more than 0.5 Degrees Camber in ANY of my HPI Cars including my late Pro-2. (Except Pro-3)
I will say that I have never with my HPI's, have run Foams or on Carpet before and both situations NORMALLY require increased Camber settings.

Front Toe-in usually tames down the steering (turn-in) and Toe-out makes the steering MORE agressive. 1 degree in either direction from zero should be the max needed. I personally prefer my cars with -0- degs Front Toe. High Speed, Digital Servos keep me pointed straight.

NOTE:
I offer these as SUGGESTIONS only. These are from my 3-1/2+ years of racing HPI products and MUCH experimentation.

Last edited by popsracer; 03-02-2003 at 11:07 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 11:03 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Default HPI Pro2 going in trash

AP:

I've been waiting every day outside of your house for you throw that P2 away. What gives?
Old 03-03-2003, 03:04 AM   #65
Tech Elite

Default Re: Cole Trickle;

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
MANY people make the mistake of running TOO wide of a spring rate spread between the Front and Rear shocks. I think you will find after some experimentation, that the car will be faster and easier to drive with Spring rates no further than 2 steps apart. Try it sometime and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Sounds very interesting, I think I'll try it, when the winter tournaments are over. Sounds like it require a different driving style too. One question, do run with the same tires/inserts front/rear?

This make me thinking of trying the difference between softer springs / harder inserts in the rear, versus harder springs / softer inserts.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:05 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Quote:
I have owned a Pro-2 which handled GREAT but I dumped it because of a un-correctable Glitching problem caused by the Graphite Chassis material.
Ahh, now I remember that you told me this before.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:08 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Quote:
I will say that I have never with my HPI's, have run Foams or on Carpet before and both situations NORMALLY require increased Camber settings.
I'm running rubber tires on carpet only.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:10 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Quote:
Front Toe-in usually tames down the steering (turn-in) and Toe-out makes the steering MORE agressive. 1 degree in either direction from zero should be the max needed. I personally prefer my cars with -0- degs Front Toe. High Speed, Digital Servos keep me pointed straight.
I'm using fast digital servos too. I got 1 degree toe-in. But that's in conjunction with one-ways.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:04 AM   #69
Tech Elite

Default MY-HPI Pro2 went in the in trash

Cole Trickle;

I have run Different inserts AND Tire compounds Front vs Rear. This can be made to work fairly well, but, I find that using the SAME Tires and Inserts F/R makes the Car easier to set-up and ultimately drive faster. This is my thinking on having a "Balanced" chassis set-up. To try and keep both ends of the Car as Equal as possible.

I agree about using -1 degree Front Toe-in with a One-way. I end up taking mine out of my Pro-3, when I stiffened the chassis up. Lately we've been racing on really slick surfaces and it's hard to keep the Rear in line most of the time. Luckily, everyone has the same problem, so I'm still finishing pretty well overall.

I couldn't believe how much easier my Cars were to drive once I went to Digital HS servos for the Steering.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:32 AM   #70
Tech Regular

Default Re: MY-HPI Pro2 went in the in trash

Quote:
Cole Trickle;

I have run Different inserts AND Tire compounds Front vs Rear. This can be made to work fairly well, but, I find that using the SAME Tires and Inserts F/R makes the Car easier to set-up and ultimately drive faster. This is my thinking on having a "Balanced" chassis set-up. To try and keep both ends of the Car as Equal as possible.

I agree about using -1 degree Front Toe-in with a One-way. I end up taking mine out of my Pro-3, when I stiffened the chassis up. Lately we've been racing on really slick surfaces and it's hard to keep the Rear in line most of the time. Luckily, everyone has the same problem, so I'm still finishing pretty well overall.

I couldn't believe how much easier my Cars were to drive once I went to Digital HS servos for the Steering.
loose on entry or exit? easy fix is if you are loose on entry try a softer rear spring loose on exit harder rear spring yes it works it keeps reae tires planted
nova racer is offline   Reply With Quote